Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Monitor around 150ish

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Before you go shipping monitors, check your local Argos first. I got a great little Acer from there, gaming quality, for about 130. 24" I believe. could be wrong, posting on it now and its done me well. Only thing I'd say is it has no headphone jack, so if you're playing on PS3/X360 its not for you.

These are a little smaller than you're looking for but food for thought; http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/14419112/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/2%7C14418968%7CComputers+and+monitors%7C14419111/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419111%7CPC+monitors%7C14419112/r_001/5%7CPrice%7C100+%3C%3D++%3C%3D+149.99%7C2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Would also recommend dropping into PCWorld/Currys at some point for a nose around. They mostly sell monitors between the 100-200euro range so definitely worth a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

xtal191 wrote: »

You get more for your money with monitors you have linked. Decent IPS panels with good reviews. I'd stick with amazon

While argos are decent for returns the monitors performance /value for money unfortunately can't compare to the amazon ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K6E8ACU/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?qid=1457432495&sr=8-20-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=benq&psc=1#

Just to add to your list.Ah- ips, 2 ms response time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Would also recommend dropping into PCWorld/Currys at some point for a nose around. They mostly sell monitors between the 100-200euro range so definitely worth a look anyway.
    That made me laugh you work for them? They'll rob you blind :P

Nope, just saying that not everything they sell is a complete ripoff. They sell monitors. Yes they will be approximately 20-50euro more than online, but they are there in front of you. Usually turned on so you can see what you are buying. It's an option for cheap monitors is all I'm saying. Maybe not the best option, but an option nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yeah, definitely go for an IPS model if you can. That Asus one is nice and has a matte panel as well.

Also, have a look at the Best Selling list on Amazon for what's popular/good value for money;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Computers-Monitors/zgbs/computers/428652031/ref=zg_bs_nav_computers_1_computers

Nope, just saying that not everything they sell is a complete ripoff. They sell monitors. Yes they will be approximately 20-50euro more than online, but they are there in front of you. Usually turned on so you can see what you are buying. It's an option for cheap monitors is all I'm saying. Maybe not the best option, but an option nonetheless.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PUEM9RS?keywords=ACER%20S277HKwmidpp&qid=1457440206&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
    Thats €477 excl delivery from Amazon? So i drop in to my local Currys pay there €800 mark up? Don't think so people actually want €20-50 cheaper pricing unless you have more money than sense.

Look up some YouTube vids of the monitors you have selected.

Might give you a better idea.

You never said the purposes of the monitor. Might change the selection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

I would go with the Asus if you don't game on consoles and the AOC if you do cause of the speakers. Matte can be a mixed bag, great if the room is bright but it does render the IPS a tiny bit pointless.

Curry's aren't great aye, in fact brick and mortar places are still taking the piss in this country. HD Ready, i.e. 720p tellies on sale everywhere. Silly. Came back from three years in asia where I could ride the train for 30 minutes and get one of those korean monitors for 130 quid only to come back to this sorry state :P There are almost no viable gaming/pc building brick and mortar solutions in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PUEM9RS?keywords=ACER%20S277HKwmidpp&qid=1457440206&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
    Thats €477 excl delivery from Amazon? So i drop in to my local Currys pay there €800 mark up? Don't think so people actually want €20-50 cheaper pricing unless you have more money than sense.

Are you reading my posts at all? We are talking about cheap monitors. Not high end stuff. Also, seeing a monitor "can" make a difference. Not everything has to come from amazon or online shopping. Again. An option. Stop trying to make me sound like someone with no clue when all I'm presenting is an option to the OP. All you've done here is try to call me out on that option while completely ignoring the original topic.

Are you reading my posts at all? We are talking about cheap monitors. Not high end stuff. Also, seeing a monitor "can" make a difference. Not everything has to come from amazon or online shopping. Again. An option. Stop trying to make me sound like someone with no clue when all I'm presenting is an option to the OP. All you've done here is try to call me out on that option while completely ignoring the original topic.
    Read the OP first he has amazon.co.uk options hes asking for advice on? You told him an option to go to a store and pay over the odds on a monitor in your words €20-50 because he can SEE the monitor? Its 2016 buddy people read reviews and use you tube for making purchases on monitors today. Some sales person in that shop who would tell you the monitor can spring legs and make you a cup of tea to sell you the overpriced monitor isn't really helping...And also consider Currys sell no more than 4/5 monitor brands....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah come off it, it was a perfectly valid suggestion. There are a good few monitors in my local PC World that are about €150 where online they're €120. It's hardly criminal, and you get to have a good look at each monitor and not have to wait for delivery/can bring it back to the store if there's an issue. Mine even has G-Sync monitors that are about 550 when online the same monitors 450, but it's a huge advantage to be able to look at something in person.

He gave an alternative to the OP. A completely valid one. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Cheers for all the replies, much appreciated. Not restricted to just amazon so all places welcome.

Will be mostly for pc gaming and general computer use, no console gaming at all. Is there any point going above 24" at 1080p?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Looking at something like this myself for my Xbox1

http://www.komplett.ie/asus-vs247hr-23-6/80016472/details.aspx

Cheers for all the replies, much appreciated. Not restricted to just amazon so all places welcome.

Will be mostly for pc gaming and general computer use, no console gaming at all. Is there any point going above 24" at 1080p?

I think 24 will give you good spec/price. That said I have not gamed on a cheaper 27 inch 1080p.

Me personally probably the Asus or ViewSonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Is there any point going above 24" at 1080p?
    If you can sit a few feet back it's grand, text looks terrible any closer so web-browsing would be the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

Personally, what I like to do is look up monitors online and then see if anywhere local has them in store. Xenoronin is right, sometimes you see it right there in front of you and you impulse buy it, I can say I'm guilty of that one.

I recommend any of the lower end Asus monitors, I have used them both in work and in gaming meaning that they are very long lasting and responsive.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

P.S. Can we try to stay on topic, people are entitled to other opinions. This is not about that, it is about helping the Op.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Decided I'd rather spend a bit extra and get a monitor with a decent stand.

Any thoughts on the Dell U2414H? Or anything similar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I have the u2414h, love it.

it looks beautiful and is smooth as .... butter? when I have to move it up/down or pivot it into landscape mode. super easy.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm is the review that sold me on it

if you have an nvidia card there's a weird little bug where you have to manually enable full colour mode, as the card thinks the dell monitor is a hd tv instead of a pc monitor. I don't know why it hasn't been fixed yet, but every time you update the driver you have to re-enable it. it's a pain, but it's really the only complaint I have and it's all of 3 seconds work every now and again

oh, one more complaint. The control "buttons" for the osd are ****ing godawful, I would love it if it had actual physical buttons instead of the touch sensitive pain in the balls it actually has. I'm hardly ever in the osd though, and the dell window manager software you can get from their website has most of the options anyway so like the nvidia issue, irritating but minor.

• Advertisement

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015510P76/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1457775044&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aoc+i2481fxh&dpPl=1&dpID=51TmdTAbXEL&ref=plSrch#

Slightly cheaper option. Same style as the dell. Half the response time. €181

This model is Fairly new to the market.

Advertisement