Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - If the rumours are true...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't mind the lack of audio ports. I'm ok with either wireless, or a lightning-jack adapter. I'm a musician but not an audiophile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't think it's that there won't be a headphone socket, it just won't be 3.5mm. It'll probably use the lightning socket for physical headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

One issue is that on a lot of bluetooth headphones there's still an audio/video lag/sync issue. I'm sure it'll improve as time passes but even Beats haven't proven to be immune in the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't have a issue with the port being dropped eventually though I'd prefer they'd wait until wireless/Bluetooth 'phones are good/cheap enough. If it happens with the iPhone 7 I think it will be premature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm guessing dual cam would be similar to the below so you could shoot 3d video?

dualcam.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I doubt it's for 3D shooting. 3d is a fad and a terrible one at that.

It'll be for being able to shift focal length after you've taken a photo or be able to record two streams of video, one capturing the entire shot, the other a close up slo-mo (think a skateboarder doing a kick-flip). think more like this https://light.co/ than 3D.

as for the headphone jack? good riddance. one less hole to be clogged up with pocket lint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Also wireless will consume less of your battery as they dont need voltage pushed out of the headphone socket. Bluetooth 4.1+ consumes very little in low power mode. We will also see the end of that stupid eu 100db headphone jack limit on handsets bundled with earphones.

Regarding earphones going through the lightning connector its going to a totally digital affair so maybe apple will also get rid of the DAC on the phone seeing as it will be on the lighning earphones instead. And hopefully there will be some very portable dacs/convertors available for those that want to keep their analog cans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

To me the dropping of a headphone socket will be a deal breaker for me unless you have a the ability to use the lightening port with regular headphones conveniently.

I have yet to be wowed by Bluetooth headphones. They're not great and an additional battery drain. Technology hasn't caught up yet.

The iPhone 7 has existed for a while now. A friend of mine is a neighbour of one of the VP's who has been using it in a disguised case for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

eBay will be full of lighting port/headphone jack adapters as soon as this is launched and Apple will probably sell them as well for €30 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 zuluchio

I use the headphone socket to connect to the AUX port in my car, so if they do ditch it there better be an adapter, or a new cable.

• Advertisement

I agree with everyone about bluetooth, it just doesn't cut the mustard. all bluetooth devices suck for connectivity.

There's one exception I'll add to this list and it's the Apple Watch. The watch uses bluetooth but it does so with some extra apple sauce, if it goes out of range of bluetooth it flicks over to wifi. so as long as your watch is on the same wifi network as your watch, your phone and watch are still connected, genius.

What if the headphones are like that, use a mix of bluetooth and peer (phone) to peer (headphones) local wifi. It would certainly solve bluetooth's range issue, and also wifi would be a lot better for transferring music to the wireless ear buds.

Tbh I don't care if Apple's lightning to 3.5mm jack is sold for $30 or whatever, the majority of people these days either 1. use bluetooth earphones, 2. don't care enough about sound quality, 3. still listen to FM radio even though they've got millions of songs and podcasts in their pocket which the bundled ear pods are easily capable of doing for them. If you have an expensive good pair of headphones (like I do) you'll adjust or just go buy a Pono :pac:.

My good headphones will be now for at home/office/air travel and I'll use the ear pods or a cheap < $100 pair of lightning earphones for day to day commutes.

Getting rid of the 3.5mm jack will allow apple to do many more things, mainly it's one less port to break, one less port for water to get through to the internals, more space for battery (fat chance i think), make the bezels thinner and thus reduce the physical size of the device, put a stereo speaker on that side.

Apple haven't been shy to remove things from their devices, first to kill the floppy, first to kill the cd, first to do one usb port, but I do feel like this one will cause the most negative press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Not being able to charge and listen at the same time would be a deal breaker for me. On long flights the ability to leave it plugged in to charge while I listen to music is very important. I have an expensive set of wired headphones I have no intention of replacing... Not sure I'd be bothered with the hassle of some lightning dongle to provide the jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

These are nice but pricey. Have the amp and dac built in obviously.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-M2L-Headphones-Lightning-Connector-black/dp/B00PY73VIC

I can see these adaptor yokes being pretty bulky for people that want to use their analog cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

BigMoose wrote: »
    Not being able to charge and listen at the same time would be a deal breaker for me.

I saw a photo online that suggested it was all wireless charging - both the phone and the bluetooth earbuds were casually laid on the same charging pad. Could be true.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Nice but still missing so many things, like easy to copy files from and to your device without itunes.
    copy to usb stick etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have to say I have no issue with the change- the only time I used my phone wired for music is on a plane. I love wireless headphones, they're so handy. I can't afford the best by any stretch but I got a pretty good pair on Amazon that do the job for me. I think they were about £20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

Mr.S wrote: »
    That's fake.

Yes all photos of apple stuff prior to launch are mockups of course, just to show a suggested image what apple is up to based on rumours.
    I wont be upgrading though this time unless its something really really special.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ozmo wrote: »
    Yes all photos of apple stuff prior to launch are mockups of course, just to show a suggested image what apple is up to based on rumours.
    I wont be upgrading though this time unless its something really really special.

It better be, looking at the S7 Edge. They need to maximize the screen size if they are staying with the current IP6/6S frame size. Plenty of exploitable space on current handsets for the high paid engineering wizards to utilise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Looked at the Samsung S7 edge and to be honest it looks like a complete gimmick. the edge is about 4mm I'd say if even that and wtf would you be reading on that...nothign much I'd say

Blazer wrote: »
    Looked at the Samsung S7 edge and to be honest it looks like a complete gimmick. the edge is about 4mm I'd say if even that and wtf would you be reading on that...nothign much I'd say

The wrap around edge isn't something I'd like as they extend the keyboard on to the edges LOL, but one thing the s7 has gotten right is the screen size to physical size. The s7 and the iPhone 6S Plus have the same screen size but the 6S Plus is ginormous side by side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Wireless headphones are a pain. Anything that I need to put on a charger is a pain. Special plug headphones are a pain, too. Stupid decision if true imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

I'm guessing they'll have some kind of short dongle cable that you plug into the end of your headphone.

A lot of people have expensive headphones and they'll have to have a solution to connect them.

The advantage of getting rid of the headphone port from apples perspective is that you can also push some hardware out into the cable or headphones.

There's really no such thing as "digital headphones" the signal gets converted into an analogue from either in the phone, in a dongle or in the headphones. The speakers are driven by an analogue signal.

The advantage and disadvantages are that your audio quality will be dependent on whatever hardware is doing that digital conversion in your headphones rather than the iPhone itself.

It's a little sad in a way to see the end of what is actually the oldest connector we have.

The headphone jack and it's direct ancestors have been in use for 138 years having begun life as a telephone connector used on switchboards and even wall sockets. (It was the standards connector here in Ireland pre 1980s for your landline [although most were hard wired])

I'd say "phone jacks" will still be commonly used though for many many years to come. I can't see them disappearing from pro audio and musical instruments anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I wish they'd bring in USB 3.0 support, takes friggin ages to transfer out of iTunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

The wrap around edge isn't something I'd like as they extend the keyboard on to the edges LOL, but one thing the s7 has gotten right is the screen size to physical size. The s7 and the iPhone 6S Plus have the same screen size but the 6S Plus is ginormous side by side.

As the pround owner of the s7e you are spot on the screen size is perfect on the s7e the edge is a nice feature to have. The keyboard is not extended to the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

its that bloody home button :mad:

As the pround owner of the s7e you are spot on the screen size is perfect on the s7e the edge is a nice feature to have. The keyboard is not extended to the edge.

Number 2 in this list.

Blazer wrote: »
    its that bloody home button :mad:

Yup the sooner it's integrated into the 3D Touch display the better but I don't think we'll see that for some time.

Number 2 in this list.

Yup the sooner it's integrated into the 3D Touch display the better but I don't think we'll see that for some time.

No 2 doesnt happen with mine. And my keyboard is not right to the edge.

No 2 doesnt happen with mine. And my keyboard is not right to the edge.

Ah ha ! I know why mine does not go to the edge mine is not the default size font I changed it as the font was to large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really wouldn't fancy them loosing the headphone jack. The iPhone has a decent DAC so a 3.5mm to an amp is a good setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Not a fan of wireless headphones or earphones, just another thing to keep charged.

Advertisement