Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - If the rumours are true...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

The only time I find them handy is when out running or in the gym. Other than that, I wouldn't really be bothered as they're more hassle than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

As the title of the thread goes, I'm talking rumours and speculation here from the get-go. :) Looking at the latest rumour (on macrumors.com of course :pac:), it's suggested that the iPhone 7 plus will be the more advanced model again, with a dual-lens camera, while the 7 will have a flush but single-lens camera. The rumoured 5se (which I hope will be just called the iPhone SE), will be similar to the 5s but with improved camera and processor etc, with a few exterior design cues taken from the curvier 6 generation thrown in.

That's my sum-up of the rumours I'm personally taking as good indicatiors anyway. I expect I will be staying away from the 7 generation altogether if the phones are staying the same size as the 6. I tried the 6 and couldn't get used to the bigger size and form-factor and went back to the 5s which I love now more than ever before tbh :). Again, going purely by the rumours, it looks like Apple will be providing the SE as the smaller-iPhone option, which I'd be okay with. Kinda wish the best technology could be squeezed into a phone of its size (i.e. have it as another companion in the coming 7 generation) but I'd be happy with upgrading my 5s to a SE if it had a better camera/processor/a few other upgraded features.

Thoughts? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for all the replies.

Had 20 minutes to spare this morning and had a mooch in Vodafone and CompuB on Grafton Street.

Have to say, the big Samsung (the Edge Plus?) is a thing of beauty. But, so is the piano-black faced 6S Plus. (You can keep the white faced one.)

I love the Apple ecosystem, so I can't see myself changing. But, I still think I'll wait until September. If the headphone socket is removed, I'll get the 6S Plus for less. So, I see it as win-win by waiting.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Mr.S wrote: »
    Wireless charging is a bit of a gimmick, I would think that Apple stay away from it tbh.

The headphone jack is for sure gone. Apple won't ship it wireless earbuds though, we'll just the normal stock headphones but with a lightning cable. Truly wireless earbuds are only really coming to the market now, and are quite pricey.

Have you used wireless charging on any phone? I think its great and speaking as someone looking to switch back to iOS with the iPhone 7 from a Galaxy S6 I'd really miss the wireless charging and the fast charge. Neither are dealbreakers for me but they'd be nice to have.

I wasn't overly impressed with the s7 edge, I had planned on getting it as my contract is up now but decided I'd hold on until September. I think I might be a bit jaded with smartphones, there doesn't seem to be any major upgrades any more which is only natural I suppose but its hard to get excited about any of the new releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I think I might be a bit jaded with smartphones, there doesn't seem to be any major upgrades any more which is only natural I suppose but its hard to get excited about any of the new releases.

I totally agree.

Law of diminishing returns applies, I guess.

Which is why I anticipate keeping whichever phone I buy in September (headphone-jack dependent) for quite some time.

Right now, phones practically make the dinner. They are mini-laptops and iPads rolled into one, well just about. Oh, and they make calls too.

What more can we expect? I'm not sure.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Will Apple continue to manufacture and sell the iPhone 6s series or will they just let stock levels run out when the 7 drops? Also historically how much cheaper will the 6S series be once the 7 starts shipping, depending on if the 7 ships without the headphone socket, there might be greater demand for the 6S if the 7 ships without a headphone socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

I honestly don't think the headphone socket will make much difference if there's a small dongle easily available or shipped with the phone and it's not crazy expensive.

You can see exactly what they're up to though. A happy coincidence between making the phone thinner and driving Beats' sales.

They also could throw a spanner in the works and introduce USB C headphones as an industry standard.

The new MacBook is USB C only.
    That standard rolls USB, Thunderbolt and HDMI all into a single tiny connector.

I have a Google Nexus phone which uses USB C and an iPhone 6.

The USB C connector is a vast improvement over MicroUSB but I think lightening is more robust.

The Nexus 6P has rapid charge too which is damn handy.

One thing to note tho. The iPhone seems to unofficially support "slightly more rapid charging" if you charge it off a modern Mac's full powered USB port or an iPod charger the charge time is reduced ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭matchthis

Could they use that new connection system on iPad pro to create a new connection of headphone that wouldn't require an open port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

matchthis wrote: »
    Could they use that new connection system on iPad pro to create a new connection of headphone that wouldn't require an open port?

Yes, but it seems like a stopping point on the way to wireless headphones.

Definite deal breaker for me. Would be another device to keep charged. I just know I'd go to use wireless headphones and the battery would be flat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i've used bluetooth headphones for about 2 years, would never go back.

Really the argument that your high fidelity headphones are gonna be wasted now, lets be realistic, they are wasted as it is listening to compressed files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

i've used bluetooth headphones for about 2 years, would never go back.

Really the argument that your high fidelity headphones are gonna be wasted now, lets be realistic, they are wasted as it is listening to compressed files

Lots of people with good headphones listen to lossless audio like flac, wav and alac.
    About the only advantage I can see for bluetooth besides the obvious wireless connection is there is less drain on the phones battery compared with analog headphones. Sound quality wise bluetooth pretty much sucks unless you are just streaming stuff from spotify or apple music.

How though? I would have thought that driving a couple of speakers would use less power than a transmitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

Karsini wrote: »
    Definite deal breaker for me. Would be another device to keep charged. I just know I'd go to use wireless headphones and the battery would be flat.

Unless, wireless charging?

Unless, wireless charging?

I'd still need to remember to keep it charged. When I had an iPod I didn't use it as often as I would have liked because I never remembered to charge the thing. At least with the iPhone I plug it in going to bed and it's ready by the morning. One device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

I'd still need to remember to keep it charged. When I had an iPod I didn't use it as often as I would have liked because I never remembered to charge the thing. At least with the iPhone I plug it in going to bed and it's ready by the morning. One device.

Yeah that is true actually. I'd be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Charging bluetooth headphones is a pain in the arse. It's for this very reason I've a set of EarPods in my bag, and I frequently have to use them cause I forget to charge the bluetooth ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Charging bluetooth headphones is a pain in the arse. It's for this very reason I've a set of EarPods in my bag, and I frequently have to use them cause I forget to charge the bluetooth ones.

Agree with this.

I have a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones that I use for travelling. They have to be charged and if they were my daily headphones it would be a right pain in the ghoulies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

faceman wrote: »
    Agree with this.

I have a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones that I use for travelling. They have to be charged and if they were my daily headphones it would be a right pain in the ghoulies.

Exactly this - I have to keep a decent pair of non powered in ear headphones in the bag for when I discover the Bose are flat and I forgot to replace the spare battery. Unthinkable to be on a 14 hour flight without working headphones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

It's not that bad. I got a pair of Sennheiser Momentums lately and I find the play time pretty generous. About 20-22 hours which really gets me though most of the week as I'd listen for a few hours in work and a bit on the way home. I only really have to charge on a Thursday night to be ready for my trip home on a Friday. If I'm using the phones heavilly I'll give them a top up during the week but it only takes an hour or two to charge them. Not too bad.

• Advertisement

the charging is only half the battle though.

I'd rather charge something daily than have to remember to charge something every 5-7 days. The potential just just plum forget is too high for me,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'd rather charge something daily than have to remember to charge something every 5-7 days. The potential just just plum forget is too high for me,

The problem is though that we have too much stuff charging daily or overnight already. My iPhone, Apple Watch and whatever other gadgets we use daily. (I have a Samsung phone that I use for work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What about charging them through the Lightning port? The new keyboards and mice charge from the Mac, and don't take long to charge. The ability to plug them into the Lightning port and also listen while they're charging could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

How though? I would have thought that driving a couple of speakers would use less power than a transmitter.

Nope. Very little power is used using Bluetooth 4.1 on the phone. Most of the power usage is not from maintaining the connection but rather from the batteries in the actual blue tooth headphones which takes a simple digital stream from the phone converts it to analog and amplifies it. Hence why the battery life of BT headphones is always a bit pants. On the other hand with a traditional pair of wired headphones most of the workload is done inside the phone - the digital stream has to be converted to analog, amplified and output through the headphone jack which requires voltage, and this will vary depending on your listening volume and impedance of your headphones. Your phones battery will take a hit on all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

This is so true. The last time I had a non smart phone (which was pre 2008) I often ran out of juice precisely because I never remembered to charge. And the charger got lost. Those displays rarely had the batter percentage either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Surely at the time, you would have sliced your wrists if they told you that the 5 day battery life on your 6310i was being reduced to 24hrs ;)

How anyone would prefer to charge a device every day instead of every 5-7 days is beyond me. :eek: I'm sorry, but I see no logic to that preference, whatsoever. :pac:

How anyone would prefer to charge a device every day instead of every 5-7 days is beyond me. :eek: I'm sorry, but I see no logic to that preference, whatsoever. :pac:

It's perfect logic.

My phone and watch are charged daily, they rarely run out of battery.

My earphones are charged every 5-7 days, I have to have a backup pair of EarPods.

If I know I have to charge every day it becomes a habit if I don't it doesn't. Simples.

dodzy wrote: »
    Surely at the time, you would have sliced your wrists if they told you that the 5 day battery life on your 6310i was being reduced to 24hrs ;)

Those phones spent so much time in the car kit it was never not full :pac: also the fact is if I used my iPhone for just calls and texts it'd last longer

Sent from my iPhone whilst sitting on the jacks.

• Advertisement

It's perfect logic.

My phone and watch are charged daily, they rarely run out of battery.

My earphones are charged every 5-7 days, I have to have a backup pair of EarPods.

If I know I have to charge every day it becomes a habit if I don't it doesn't. Simples.

But surely it'd be better to have a device aka Bluetooth headphones that last up to a week before you need to charge them, instead of having Another device to charge overnight every single day? Charging every day is multiplying effort! The EarPods are backup so that negates the panic of having nothing to listen with if you forget to charge your wireless headphones? It can't be that hard to get into the habit of charging wireless headphones every 5-7 days. A first world problem classic example lol. :pac:

Advertisement