Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - If the rumours are true...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭brevity

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/26/apple-iphone-amoled-wireless-charging/

Rumours that the next big form change won't be until 2017...

Some are calling this the "6SS" as it will likely resemble the 6/6S with a few new features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Makes sense. 2017 is the iPhone's 10th anniversary. Plus there's not much they can do with the current design until they can lose the home button. And the moaning about battery life and the 6/6s being too thin was pretty deafening last year when they would have been finalising the 7, so they may put their efforts into that this year instead of a new form factor.

I'd still expect a small redesign. And it'll be interesting to see if they call it the 7 or the 6se.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've been on the redesign cycle and would normally upgrade to the iPhone 7 this year but if the rumours pick up I'll be waiting until 2017.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubDJ wrote: »
    I've been on the redesign cycle and would normally upgrade to the iPhone 7 this year but if the rumours pick up I'll be waiting until 2017.

Same here.

I went 3GS, 4, 5 and 6.
    I'll keep my 6 if they don't do a design change and wait also.

kceire wrote: »
    Same here.

I went 3GS, 4, 5 and 6.
    I'll keep my 6 if they don't do a design change and wait also.

Exact same device history as myself, my first iPhone was the 3GS. Lost it just before the iPhone 4 leaked, so picked that up just as it was released in Ireland and I've been on the same 2 year cycle since.

I have to say, on the hardware side, Apple are losing to Samsung imo. The S6 Edge and now the S7 Edge have been the two nicest designed phones of the past 2 years for me. Now even the cameras have overtaken the iPhone which was always an area I felt Apple had the upper hand overall.

Going by the 2017 rumour it sounds like Apple will be embracing the Samsung design a bit. The nicest iPhone for me was the 4, it was a step ahead of everything else. I'd be happy to see something similar again.

iOS is what's keeping me with the iPhone for now. Still much prefer it over Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Same, may consider the 6s plus if the price drops enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Makes sense. 2017 is the iPhone's 10th anniversary. Plus there's not much they can do with the current design until they can lose the home button. And the moaning about battery life and the 6/6s being too thin was pretty deafening last year when they would have been finalising the 7, so they may put their efforts into that this year instead of a new form factor.

I'd still expect a small redesign. And it'll be interesting to see if they call it the 7 or the 6se.

Maybe I was one of the lucky ones but I found the battery in the 6s the best I've ever had in a iPhone, and I've had every single one of them.

Exact same device history as myself, my first iPhone was the 3GS. Lost it just before the iPhone 4 leaked, so picked that up just as it was released in Ireland and I've been on the same 2 year cycle since.

I have to say, on the hardware side, Apple are losing to Samsung imo. The S6 Edge and now the S7 Edge have been the two nicest designed phones of the past 2 years for me. Now even the cameras have overtaken the iPhone which was always an area I felt Apple had the upper hand overall.

Going by the 2017 rumour it sounds like Apple will be embracing the Samsung design a bit. The nicest iPhone for me was the 4, it was a step ahead of everything else. I'd be happy to see something similar again.

iOS is what's keeping me with the iPhone for now. Still much prefer it over Android.

I couldn't agree more the iPhone 4 for me was the best design of a phone , it certainly was ahead of it's time. iOS has been poor for some time IMO. I think samsung and android are heading more inline with iOS concepts with more simple and easy to use features. I've headed over to android with s7 edge and haven't looked backed yet. One feature I do miss is the swipe back in safari.

I couldn't agree more the iPhone 4 for me was the best design of a phone , it certainly was ahead of it's time. iOS has been poor for some time IMO. I think samsung and android are heading more inline with iOS concepts with more simple and easy to use features. I've headed over to android with s7 edge and haven't looked backed yet. One feature I do miss is the swipe back in safari.

Yeah there are small things I'd miss like the tap the top bar to scroll to the top and the swipe gestures. It's more the quality of apps tend to be better on iOS, maybe I'm just used to them but it felt like some of the bigger app makers focused too much on iOS and left android out.

I like the simplicity of iOS and lack of bloat ware too. Although iOS is getting bad with some of the preistalled apps lately I'm still hoping iOS 10 allows for the removal of some of the non essential ones.

Yeah there are small things I'd miss like the tap the top bar to scroll to the top and the swipe gestures. It's more the quality of apps tend to be better on iOS, maybe I'm just used to them but it felt like some of the bigger app makers focused too much on iOS and left android out.

I like the simplicity of iOS and lack of bloat ware too. Although iOS is getting bad with some of the preistalled apps lately I'm still hoping iOS 10 allows for the removal of some of the non essential ones.

Yeah I find android is not a polished as it is with iOS with the likes of notifications and the gestures. But I think it's heading in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Played around with the S7edge on Friday. Stunning. I'm not sure if the curved screen (and the inherent distortion) wouldn't annoy me in day to day use, but I've got to hand it to Samsung for great piece of design. I thought it made the iPhone look severely dated.

The rumours for 2017 are weird alright. I'd guess they're beginning to feel the heat from the own sales plateauing more than any competitors. That Walt Mossberg piece on The Verge (The iPhone 7 better be stunning) struck me as odd. He claims to know nothing, but I'm never entirely sure how much Apple is feeding is output. Naming is hard to call. Wouldn't be surprised if the drop the numbers entirely by 2017 and just have IPhone, iPhone Pro, ????.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yeah I find android is not a polished as it is with iOS with the likes of notifications and the gestures. But I think it's heading in the right direction.

There's a lot you could find wrong with Android (as with iOS), but Google have always had an excellent handle on notifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

My next phone won't be Apple. Their standards have slipped massively IMO.
    I've had nothing but trouble with earphones for this iPhone 6. Official Apple earphones or else the phone behaves strangely.

Volume will boost up to full and I can't turn it down, recently the volume bar on the swipe up screen has even disappeared on occasion. Incoming alert sounds mess up with the volume too and SIRI randomly comes on. Use the earbuds that came with it and it's all fine, except they're shíte.

I also have that camera crescent problem and an issue with the charger not making a proper connection.

iPhone 4 was amazing at the time and even that had the antenna issue. People will keep buying them and so they don't really care enough.

The only negative I could say about the S7 edge hardware wise is the lack of USB-C. Strange omission as everybody else has basically fully embraced it now, and it's something I hope picks up steam quickly as it miles ahead of everything previous.

Other than that I'm not a fan of the size of the phone. I'd love the edge in a 5" form factor. That's subjective though.

Right now I'd love the above running iOS. I think the majority of reviews agree that the S7 edge is one of the best designs of the past two years.

For the 2017 iPhone, I wonder would they rename it the 'iPhone X'? Signifying the 10 year anniversary and as a way of breaking the naming scheme and starting anew with something else.

The whole lineup, including the naming, has gotten completely confusing and nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I've had nothing but trouble with earphones for this iPhone 6. Official Apple earphones or else the phone behaves strangely.

Volume will boost up to full and I can't turn it down, recently the volume bar on the swipe up screen has even disappeared on occasion. Incoming alert sounds mess up with the volume too and SIRI randomly comes on. Use the earbuds that came with it and it's all fine, except they're shíte.

I also have that camera crescent problem and an issue with the charger not making a proper connection.

iPhone 4 was amazing at the time and even that had the antenna issue. People will keep buying them and so they don't really care enough.

I thought I was the only one :pac: My 5 and 2 6s have done this never figured it out.

There's a lot you could find wrong with Android (as with iOS), but Google have always had an excellent handle on notifications.

Its the simple things like the app icon greyed out I dislike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

For the 2017 iPhone, I wonder would they rename it the 'iPhone X'? Signifying the 10 year anniversary and as a way of breaking the naming scheme and starting anew with something else.

The whole lineup, including the naming, has gotten completely confusing and nonsensical.

God no! The X has caused enough problems. They need to drop this "OS X" nonsense and go back to calling it Mac OS. iOS, tvOS, watchOS, macOS. It works perfectly. Whatever possessed them to make it just "OS X" is beyond me.

The only negative I could say about the S7 edge hardware wise is the lack of USB-C. Strange omission as everybody else has basically fully embraced it now, and it's something I hope picks up steam quickly as it miles ahead of everything previous.

Other than that I'm not a fan of the size of the phone. I'd love the edge in a 5" form factor. That's subjective though.

Right now I'd love the above running iOS. I think the majority of reviews agree that the S7 edge is one of the best designs of the past two years.

USB-C was a missed opportunity for Samsung but Apple missed out on fast charge an excellent feature. As a previous owner of a 6+, the screen on the s7e is the sweet spot. I've always wanted Apple to go down that road with 5 inch the 4.7 just wasn't enough IMO.

God no! The X has caused enough problems. They need to drop this "OS X" nonsense and go back to calling it Mac OS. iOS, tvOS, watchOS, macOS. It works perfectly. Whatever possessed them to make it just "OS X" is beyond me.

On the naming I think they will go with PRO or Air. Why I don't know but PRO seems to be the buzz word at the moment.

They really need to focus on the naming of all products. I think just naming them without and suffix would do, and maybe just a year. Either iPhone mini, iPhone and iPhone Plus or even iPhone Pro for the larger model. Line the naming up with the iPad lineup too. Or even iPhone Air, iPhone and iPhone Plus.

Fair few choices to go with but it always makes it harder for them to keep selling last years model. It's probably why they haven't made any significant changes yet.

It's going to be an interesting few months to see what they've got planned. The rumoured iPhone seems like an 'S' model, the iPad line has a big enough upgrade that it will probably stay the same for now but they've also got to step up the Apple Watch game, it's the first device in recent years that hasn't been universally praised.

The iPhone is obviously the main breadwinner for Apple so I'm sure most of the focus will be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

How do you use wireless headphones on a plane where you are not allowed to use Bluetooth?

afatbollix wrote: »
    How do you use wireless headphones on a plane where you are not allowed to use Bluetooth?

You don't, you use wired. Although I'm pretty sure many airlines are okay with Bluetooth.

I've had very similar problems like the sound icon won't leave the screen only when I turned the phone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I've had very similar problems like the sound icon won't leave the screen only when I turned the phone off.

Yeah, that's another one I have. They can all be sorted by turning off and on again. I find it a bit off that official Apple earphones are the only type that I can use without issue, and now they plan on switching to lightning cable only. The phones are expensive enough without being forced to buy their average accessories for exorbitant prices.

I've always used Sennheiser MM30i headphones with my iPhone without issue. Everything works as it should. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I just moved from the iPhone 6s plus to the s7 edge and already regretting it after 5 days. Sure, I like stuff like the notification led, always on screen, widgets, sd card which you can run apps from, and of course that excellent camera and screen which are noticeably better than the iPhones. The biggest selling factor was not having to deal with iTunes or Dropbox to copy files to the phone and having a proper file manager. But already have had random reboots, lag, and to top it all off the headphone volume just sucks. Looks like I will have to root it now and install a custom rom. Needless to say I think I made a mistake and will be going back to Apple in the future.

Yeah I've never had any issues with third party headphones either. I'd be inclined to think you guys have something faulty, probably the headphone jack. The volume/ringer symbol getting stuck might also suggest a bad mute button or volume switch. Maybe caused by an ill-fitting case.

Having payed around with other people's Samsung and Nexus devices, I find Android utterly repellent, hardware be damned. I wouldn't be able to deal with the bloatware for a start. Windows users are probably well used to removing crap from new devices, but years of using Apple products means I just don't have the mindset for it. And vanilla Android is too much effort. Plus I just find the interface ugly.

Most people I know with Android devices are either tech heads who will happily spend days setting their phone up, or they use their smartphones like dumbphones - calls, texts, Whatsapp and Facebook and nothing more. There's something about Android that makes totally uninterested in learning how to use their devices fully.

I think if I had to switch to another phone tomorrow I'd be looking a Windows phone. For all their functionality issues, MS has a far better grasp on UI design than Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You don't, you use wired. Although I'm pretty sure many airlines are okay with Bluetooth.

Flight mode turns off blue tooth and it emits a radio signal not as powerful as your phone signal but still strong enough.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    Flight mode turns off blue tooth and it emits a radio signal not as powerful as your phone signal but still strong enough.

Once you are in airplane mode you can turn back on WiFi and Bluetooth.

Advertisement