Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 - If the rumours are true...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Flaccus wrote: »
    I just moved from the iPhone 6s plus to the s7 edge and already regretting it after 5 days. Sure, I like stuff like the notification led, always on screen, widgets, sd card which you can run apps from, and of course that excellent camera and screen which are noticeably better than the iPhones. The biggest selling factor was not having to deal with iTunes or Dropbox to copy files to the phone and having a proper file manager. But already have had random reboots, lag, and to top it all off the headphone volume just sucks. Looks like I will have to root it now and install a custom rom. Needless to say I think I made a mistake and will be going back to Apple in the future.

I haven't had any of those issues myself have you tried changing the sound settings in advanced sound settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just wondering what the battery life will be like on this compared to other models? I have the 5 for the last few years and it's chronic!

iphone 5: 1440 mAh
    iPhone 6S: 1715 mAh
    iPhone SE: 1642 mAh
    iPhone 7: ?

Samsung S7: 3000 mAh
    Samsung S7 Edge: 3600 mAh

Is there really that much of a difference performance wise between the battery on the iPhone and the new Samsungs?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think reports are the S7's get a full day or a little over but that's in rare scenarios.

the numbers aren't a direct comparison, iPhone software is tightly coupled with the hardware, so the people working on iOS X know how much they have to work with and constraint themselves because they know.

android and samsung on the other hand are running quad core cpus, chunks of ram and bloaty touch wiz, not to mention java :pac: so they naturally need to have beefier specs and beefier batteries. it's one of the reasons why Apple is so profitable, their parts are probably a generation behind in terms of "pure spec numbers" but if you had an iPhone in the left hand and a S7 in the right, it's harder to tell that their performance has such a huge gap.

all that being said, i would like a larger battery, I would like comfortably to be able to get through 1.5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

I have an iPhone 6 and a Google Nexus 6P and to be perfectly honest I spend more time using the iPhone, even though its older hardware.

The stock android camera software is pretty abysmal and even though the Nexus 6P is a stunning looking device, with great specs, it's riddled with fundamental design flaws.

For example, the power button can be so easily triggered that it will power the phone off completely or you can accidentally silence it by brushing against a volume rocker.

Stock Android is a lot nicer than many of the overlays, especially Samsung TouchWiz and you get your monthly patches and your updates fresh off the press from Google but it's still not as slick as iOS.

I find when I'm using iOS I shoot more video, use the camera all time, tweet more, post more to Facebook and it seems to sound nicer on headphones.

I also find that despite the Nexus 6P having a better screen (on paper anyway), the iPhone 6 LCD panel is much easier to read in bright light.

Where Google excels is web browsing, chrome is a FAR superior browser to mobile Safari.

The Gmail app, the stock mail client on the nexus is hideous looking with jarring primary colours everywhere and I've had to find alternative.

Google also does a much better job of allowing you to sort and manage apps. iOS really need some kind of equivalent to the app drawer.

Also the Google stock keyboard is much better (but uglier) than the iOS keyboard.

The iPhone definitely has a superior on board audio system though. The sound quality of music through headphones is definitely better.

Android also screws up things like when a notification goes off it will actually interrupt the music you're listening to. Also visiting any website or using an app with sound effects can result in music stopping while the notification plays rather than just mixing them seamlessly as the iPhone generally does. I found that one feature absolutely infuriating on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

all that being said, i would like a larger battery, I would like comfortably to be able to get through 1.5 days.

Same here. I've read reports that the battery on the SE last longer than the rest of the current iPhones (probably because of it's size), just wondering will the 7 be enough of an increase to take the lead on that front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I haven't had any of those issues myself have you tried changing the sound settings in advanced sound settings?

Yes but you still need max volume or just below with the included ear phones or even low impedance iem's, when commuting. Stands to reason as the headphone port only outputs about 0.7v and volume levels are further limited by EU regulations. Quality is good, just not output volume. Rooting would sort it, in any case. I'm going back to the iPhone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Today my bluetooth earphones died on the commute into work, if I was charging them every day this would have never had happened :pac:

Advertisement