Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for replica 1916 medal

• 07-03-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi -
    I'm bringing my grandfather to the parade on Easter Sunday - we'll be in the reviewing stand, because his father and uncle fought during the rebellion.
    He'd love to wear a medal, but all the originals have filtered down through other branches of the family (we think some are with a distant relation in Texas, but have no contact details !).

So I'm looking to buy a replica, so that he has something to pin on his coat on the day - I know all the arguments about replica versus real medals, but I don't have a handy 10k to buy an original !
    I know they're on eBay for about 30-35 quid, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any other sources - or has a replica they want to sell?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 billymc1

Hi -
    I'm bringing my grandfather to the parade on Easter Sunday - we'll be in the reviewing stand, because his father and uncle fought during the rebellion.
    He'd love to wear a medal, but all the originals have filtered down through other branches of the family (we think some are with a distant relation in Texas, but have no contact details !).

So I'm looking to buy a replica, so that he has something to pin on his coat on the day - I know all the arguments about replica versus real medals, but I don't have a handy 10k to buy an original !
    I know they're on eBay for about 30-35 quid, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any other sources - or has a replica they want to sell?

Thanks!
    hi you will find on on done deal there in a green box with irish flag on it the quality is good !hope that helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 armadillo1916

That's great - thanks very much for the info billymc1 !

Have emailed the guy about getting the 16, plus the 16 Survivor's medal.

The granddad will be chuffed.

no problem I got all of them off the same guy put them in a frame from ika and they look great only a collector could tell the difference !hope your granddad enjoys the parade !! I will be there with my son and my dad cheers !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just a thing, medals should be worn by relatives on the right breast only.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Derisol

This is the official policy of the Defence forces regarding the wearing of family members medals.

Serving personnel, including 1st Line Reserve and Reserve Defence Forces shalll not wear medals on civilian attire. Retired personnel may wear medals on civilian attire on the same occassions as when medals are worn by serving personnel, and in a similar manner.

Family Members

Next of kin should not wear the medals of a deceased family member, except when the medal is awarded posthumously. Medals are awarded to individuals in recognition of specific acts or service and should only be worn by the individual to whom it was awarded. Family of deceased members of the Defence Forces should only wear the following medals when the decoration is presented directly to the next of kin.

The Military Medal for Gallantry
    The Distinguished Service Medal
    The Military Star
    The Service Medal
    The United Nations Peacekeeping Medal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A bit more inflexible than the RSL. Looks like he can't wear them so, but he'll hardly be hauled off in irons over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 armadillo1916

Thanks for the detail, guys.

However, he most definitely will be wearing the 1916 medal, and it would be "interesting" to see anyone asking a 94-year-old to remove it !

And sure anyway, it's a replica (unfortunately), so it was never actually awarded to anyone ...

:-)

Thanks for the detail, guys.

However, he most definitely will be wearing the 1916 medal, and it would be "interesting" to see anyone asking a 94-year-old to remove it !

And sure anyway, it's a replica (unfortunately), so it was never actually awarded to anyone ...

:-)
    well said let the man enjoy the day !!!

Advertisement