Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHL Vat

Options
  • 07-03-2016 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Long story short, I made a mistake of purchasing something from the US before Christmas that I then tried to cancel, but company wouldn't let me, as it already gone through their processing. I contacted DHL and attempted to get the parcel stopped before leaving the US, but that didn't happen. I then got on to Dublin office and told DHL to not send the item out for delivery, and to just return it. I managed to get them to not send the item out past Dublin and to agree to return it straight away.

Since then, and despite multiple emails to them, it's been stuck in clearance, as "The shipment is currently on hold as it contains dangerous goods" (it's perfume) and
    "The historic issue with sending any DG material is that the check process is so precise that it prevents us from being able to simply apply new AWB and export. There is a required amount of paperwork and account preparation in order to do this. I have,however,learned in the last week at a refresher course for DG regulations that there are now allowances made for this type of material. I have briefed the team this week on the process and we will return this particular shipment tonight to see if it is successful. I must advise that I have my reservations about the effectiveness of the process from my own experience and cannot guarantee it will not be delayed in the network or rejected by other DG personnel ."

Now, today, I received a VAT invoice off them, despite doing everything I possibly could to get the package returned without even coming to me. I do not wish to accept delivery of it and have been doing everything to avoid that happening, as I didn't want to get hit with custom charges.

Am I sh1t out of luck here, or will I ever get it returned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

As far as I know you may be able to surrender the goods to Customs and avoid any taxes, however you'll lose what you paid to the seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's the option. Once customs have it then duty and VAT are due. If you want the perfume you must pay the VAT or surrender the perfume to customs. However, you won't get refunded by the seller. It had gone too far to return it to sender, once it landed at customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had a similar situation once. I refused delivery of the item in Ireland, telling UPS (I think) that it had been shipped to Ireland by accident, rather Han my hotel address in the US. I got a refund too from Nordstrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That's the option. Once customs have it then duty and VAT are due. If you want the perfume you must pay the VAT or surrender the perfume to customs. However, you won't get refunded by the seller. It had gone too far to return it to sender, once it landed at customs.

Don't DHL pay VAT automatically though for you to Customs? So, DHL have paid the VAT on the items, and want me to pay them now in order to deliver the goods. That's what I assumed when I saw the invoice.

titan18 wrote: »
    Don't DHL pay VAT automatically though for you to Customs? So, DHL have paid the VAT on the items, and want me to pay them now in order to deliver the goods. That's what I assumed when I saw the invoice.

Yes, but that's just nitpicking. I think it's gone too far to reject it, so you owe them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yes, but that's just nitpicking. I think it's gone too far to reject it, so you owe them.

I rejected it before they even received it themselves though, and was on to them, telling them that. Does that hold anything, or am I stuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I rejected it before they even received it themselves though, and was on to them, telling them that. Does that hold anything, or am I stuck?

You can't do that as they are obligated to the sender, not you. Probably best to pay and take the item as you are on a loser as Irish or EU consumer law won't apply.

Duty will probably be applied too - perfume is excluded from the €150 exclusion limit

The item had to pass customs before they got it though. You're obligated to the charge at that point.

Advertisement