Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Podcasts

• 07-03-2016 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

Alright fellas, any decent MMA podcasts worth listening to? Listen to Helwanis MMA hour and Rogans fight companion but I'd like some other recommendations. Ideally the same sort of vibe as rogans with just lads sitting around chatting but I'm open to trying whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Severe MMA podcast. Although if you are looking for insightful, in-depth knowledge of MMA this wouldn't be it but the two fellas that host it are a bit of craic anyway. Shur dont the Irish love a bitta craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Fighter and the kid with brendan schaub and Bryan Callen is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The MMA Hour is a must imo. I also subscribe to the MMA Beat. Nice hourly weekly recap on the week's events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya another for MMA hour only one I tune in week on week really, the others I find tuning in on occasion Fighter and the Kid and Joe Rogan experience despite featuring MMA personalities aren't completely focused on MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nmg4

You can listen to a show I host called Talking Brawls MMA.com podcast. We have top guests from around the world every week. Sherdog have a host of quality shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

The Jon Anik & Kenny Florian podcast is as good as any, IMO better than most of the above. Also MMA Hour already been mentioned, Ariel Helwani is fantastic. Very knowledgeable, and gets brilliant guest fighters every single week.

I listen to them all even Severe MMA one is good the 2 lads do a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The MMA Report with John Pollock is good. Guy knows his stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Co-main event podcast is the absolute best. Shout to Luke Thomas Live Chat and MMA beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Does Jeremy Botter have his own podcast. He appeared on the Second Captains podcast on Monday.

Familiar with his written work but he's a very enjoyable listen. Very under rated MMA journo in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NightmareUFC

I like Submission radio

/channel/UCNrEHIf8QmKK-cAag4YxIXQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I don't even find the time to finish MMA "hour" let alone listen to more! Does anyone know if you can download it? I can only find ways to stream it but would handy to have an option to download it to my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

I have an app from Android called Podcast Addict. Great for downloading all of the podcasts above including the MMA hour. Currently listening to the latest one at work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

lougal88 wrote: »
    I have an app from Android called Podcast Addict. Great for downloading all of the podcasts above including the MMA hour. Currently listening to the latest one at work. :)

Cheers. Downloading it now.

EDIT: Exactly what I was after! Can't believe I have been listening to it on PodBay where you can't even really fastforward until now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

MMA Hour is the only podcast I would regularly enough listen to, but often don't get listening to the full show & sometimes miss a week.
    JRE I only listen to depending on who the guest is. Its not really an MMA podcast. Again, not strictly MMA, but MMA fan and usually talks about it a bit is Joey Diaz' Chruch of whats happening, just great stories and drug ta(l)king :D

Ya know whats a **** 1? Bas Rutten's new show with someone called Mauro I think. I quite like Bas but the other fella is an annoying, cheesey, interupting tit! I think it only started recently, I downloaded the Randleman tribute show which was mostly Bas but I dont think I could listen to any more because of the co presenter

Devastator wrote: »
    MMA Hour is the only podcast I would regularly enough listen to, but often don't get listening to the full show & sometimes miss a week.
    JRE I only listen to depending on who the guest is. Its not really an MMA podcast. Again, not strictly MMA, but MMA fan and usually talks about it a bit is Joey Diaz' Chruch of whats happening, just great stories and drug ta(l)king :D

Ya know whats a **** 1? Bas Rutten's new show with someone called Mauro I think. I quite like Bas but the other fella is an annoying, cheesey, interupting tit! I think it only started recently, I downloaded the Randleman tribute show which was mostly Bas but I dont think I could listen to any more because of the co presenter

Thats Mauro Renallo pride commentator,hes a great shot caller in combat havent heard his podcasts though hes probably a bit too much going by your review.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NightmareUFC

MMA Hour is great too with ARRRRiel Helwani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Severe MMA podcast. Although if you are looking for insightful, in-depth knowledge of MMA this wouldn't be it but the two fellas that host it are a bit of craic anyway. Shur dont the Irish love a bitta craic.
    I think you're selling the lads short to be honest. Yes, they tend to shy towards having the craic but there is definitely some nice insight from the lads. Andrew is the main host and directs the flow the convo and tends to play devil's advocate. As a host, he needs to do that, I think anyway.

Sean has got some really well thought through points. I dont agree with everything he says but he puts his point across in a way that you can respect, easily.

They could probably do with another co-host to mix it up a bit but I'm happy with how it is right now. Some special guest now and again, could possibly turn into a long term co-host.

I also quite enjoy the MMARoasted Podcast. It's deffo not for everyone. but i's generally a good laugh. Crude jokes, good guests and awkward silences. What more could you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RJPala

I seen this and got the urge to instantly promote my own podcast, but some of ones I listen to fairly religiously are any of Luke Thomas' podcasts, whether it be the Promotional Malpractice podcast or the Monday Morning Analysis. Those aren't everyone's cup of tea as they are geared more towards hardcore fans, in my opinion, but they're great. The MMA Beat is another.

I listen to the MMA Hour in segments as the almost-four-hour runtime can be tough, but it's good stuff for the most-part.

Co-Main Event podcast is something I'm just starting to listen to. It has been good, but haven't listened to enough episodes to give it a full two thumbs up. Also 5 Rounds from Fight Network can be good; Robin Black is a very interesting and knowledgeable guy.

Now for shameful self promotion; mine is called "Obviously Fight Talk". Fine us on iTunes, Stitcher, radiomade.ie, Mixcloud and everywhere else really. Won't post links as I don't want to break any rules. We are an new Irish MMA podcast and have had the likes of Cian Cowley, Dylan Tuke and John Redmond on, some in studio and some on Skype. Again, we are just new, but it's been blowing up quicker than even we would've hoped. Have a listen and let us know what you think. You might even be able to tolerate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

My subs below... Bushido talk, is very good also. Its the creator of TTHS and John Hackleman, Heavy Hands is excellent for technical break down of events. If you want fun, the SevereMMA podcast with the lads is always a laugh, mma hour and mma beat, Anik and Florian are must's.

2j366ip.png

Pocket Casts app also, with web player that syncs, so handy if you listen in bed and then at work next day on web :)

• Advertisement

Stuxnet wrote: »
    My subs below... Bushido talk, is very good also. Its the creator of TTHS and John Hackleman, Heavy Hands is excellent for technical break down of events. If you want fun, the SevereMMA podcast with the lads is always a laugh, mma hour and mma beat, Anik and Florian are must's.

Pocket Casts app also, with web player that syncs, so handy if you listen in bed and then at work next day on web :)

I wish that was Neil deGrasse Tyson MMA podcast. What a world!

Also, Pocketcasts is a lifesaver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Another one worth listening to is The Great MMA debate with Matt Brown.

On the Android app front Podcast Addict and Podcast Republic are grand bit if you feel like dropping some big money (2 euro ish) I highly recommend Pocketcasts

Do people think there is a market for another MMA (probably more UFC) podcast Irish produced, be it weekly, bi-weekly or just for big events (biggest probability) since it is still quite niche.

Talking to a fairly big radio station about different ideas for something at the moment. Getting an idea here before doing proper research would be nice.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Do people think there is a market for another MMA (probably more UFC) podcast Irish produced, be it weekly, bi-weekly or just for big events (biggest probability) since it is still quite niche.

Talking to a fairly big radio station about different ideas for something at the moment. Getting an idea here before doing proper research would be nice.

Theres 2 or 3 already out there at the minute,not sure theres much of a market for anymore,mma is at a peak now be surprised if it got any more popular now.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Theres 2 or 3 already out there at the minute,not sure theres much of a market for anymore,mma is at a peak now be surprised if it got any more popular now.

Ya, I was thinking similar so we would probably only do one for big events.

The station is pretty strong so should have no problem gaining interest for it really with internal ads etc.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya, I was thinking similar so we would probably only do one for big events.

The station is pretty strong so should have no problem gaining interest for it really with internal ads etc.

One thing I'd say,something that attracts me to listen is strong opinions,I cant stand fence sitters afraid to call a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Not really ufc focussed but Ian McCall has a new one out thats fairly unreal, called storytime with Ian McCall and its a good listen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Thanks for the love in this thread lads.

Chuffed that people enjoy the Severe one, myself and Sean have great crack. Hopefully 2016 expands everything in massive ways for everyone! We're always open to harsh criticisms where we can improve so please leave them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nmg4

#105 of our podcast is up. I spoke with IMMAF CEO about the meetings which took place last week, Steve Carl & Lou Giordano.
    Talkingbrawlsmma.com. Cheers. Feedback always welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Thanks for the love in this thread lads.

Any insight to Belfast UFC event rumor? Shows good btw :cool:

We have both James Gallagher and Cian Cowley on the podcast this Sunday (we go live too). It's Obviously Fight Talk, find us at the usual places: iTunes, Any Android Services, YouTube (we produced our first in studio video podcast last week and hope to do it again this week). Radiomade.ie for the live feed on Sunday. If anyone is interested in asking any of the lads some questions, reply here I suppose or if appropriate a thread can be made.

We also have a former UFC title challenger lined up, but not confirmed just yet.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=804454486358242&set=a.312454772224885.1073741826.100003810957373&type=3&theater

Thought this was quite interesting (ive no connection to them as everyone prob knows) appears JK has got an announcer taken off a show because his podcast was talking about fighters in Ireland fighting in promotions deemed not safe by the immaf in England and up north,a very fair comment to make imo,

Where is the outcry? childish stuff if this side of the story is true,Im waiting for the sbg pr team (severe mma) to start campaiging for freedom of speech

Again I have zero connection I listen to the podcast thats it I actually dont rate the mc involved can never understand what hes saying when hes announcing so completely unbiased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've only read the facebook post. But he is being a little misleading in. Or maybe he is just unaware that the card he was removed from is program ran out of SBG.
    Thought this was quite interesting (ive no connection to them as everyone prob knows) appears JK has got an announcer taken off a show because his podcast was talking about fighters in Ireland fighting in promotions deemed not safe by the immaf in England and up north
    I don't know, but I'd assume that IMMAF has no power in the UK. It's not their responsibility to try to regulate those areas. So they haven't deemed any promotions unsafe (if they have, happy to have it pointed out)

It's would be a little silly for SBG to refuse to send any fighters to promotions in the UK that didn't follow the IMMAF rules. If they did, I imagine some would claim John is try trying to force promotions outside of Ireland to follow IMMAF. Instead, his fighters continue to fight in the UK, under the rule set they fought under the last few years. I honestly don;t see the issue.
    For the record, the card in question, hasn't followed the IMMAF rules previously either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

I've a podcast just started called The Truth Is, we are only on SoundCloud at the moment, 3 episodes in. We talk mma, wrestling, football, usual lads crap :)

https://soundcloud.com/dean-barry-617785230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

UFC Unfiltered with Mat Serra and Jim Norton is pretty good though. They only have 2 episodes so far but i thought they were pretty cool so far.

Its UFC produced so expect it to be Heavily biased towards UFC. The last 2 episdes were quite funny so check it out if you havent.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I've only read the facebook post. But he is being a little misleading in. Or maybe he is just unaware that the card he was removed from is program ran out of SBG.

I don't know, but I'd assume that IMMAF has no power in the UK. It's not their responsibility to try to regulate those areas. So they haven't deemed any promotions unsafe (if they have, happy to have it pointed out)

It's would be a little silly for SBG to refuse to send any fighters to promotions in the UK that didn't follow the IMMAF rules. If they did, I imagine some would claim John is try trying to force promotions outside of Ireland to follow IMMAF. Instead, his fighters continue to fight in the UK, under the rule set they fought under the last few years. I honestly don;t see the issue.
    For the record, the card in question, hasn't followed the IMMAF rules previously either

They claimed the UAR rules were unsafe. Publicly sated. They also publicly stated their fighters would not compete under those rules in the Rep. of Ireland. However, they still allow them to compete in the UK under those rules. That's the disconnect.

In either case, agree or disagree, what was done should not have been done for simply discussing it, especially considering the episode didn't even air at that time. That's media
    censorship, something which the guy above correctly said certain media outlets were majorly against just a few weeks ago. Radio silence now.

jmx009 wrote: »
    UFC Unfiltered with Mat Serra and Jim Norton is pretty good though. They only have 2 episodes so far but i thought they were pretty cool so far.

Its UFC produced so expect it to be Heavily biased towards UFC. The last 2 episdes were quite funny so check it out if you havent.

Complete knock off of fight and the kid (with dana whites backing and money).

RJPala wrote: »
    They claimed the UAR rules were unsafe. Publicly sated. They also publicly stated their fighters would not compete under those rules in the Rep. of Ireland. However, they still allow them to compete in the UK under those rules. That's the disconnect.

In either case, agree or disagree, what was done should not have been done for simply discussing it, especially considering the episode didn't even air at that time. That's media
    censorship, something which the guy above correctly said certain media outlets were majorly against just a few weeks ago. Radio silence now.

100% agree complete hypocrisy,someone copped it and Kavanagh had a whinge and took work off the host it appears,again hes not given his side but if the the one ive read is true its laughable,the silence from his fanboys is hilarious too the severe mma crew are a bunch of sbg fanboys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.balls.ie/mma/conor-mcgregors-coach-got-personal-irish-journalist-twitter/138197

after that escapade above I wouldn't be surprised. putting someone's phone number like that in the public domain is a very thin skinned thing to do.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    http://www.balls.ie/mma/conor-mcgregors-coach-got-personal-irish-journalist-twitter/138197

after that escapade above I wouldn't be surprised. putting someone's phone number like that in the public domain is a very thin skinned thing to do.

He has to deal with some amount of morons which Im sure gets annoying but hes well compensated since Conor has literally changed his life for him he has massive gym a 20 year old blonde on his arm book releases plenty of money the lot,some cop on wouldnt go astray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RJPala wrote: »
    That's a different case then. didn't realise they were publicly slating the ruleset that was in use here within the last year. That's a bit silly as it undermines any position on MMA in the past.

Gamebred wrote: »
    100% agree complete hypocrisy,someone copped it and Kavanagh had a whinge and took work off the host it appears,again hes not given his side but if the the one ive read is true its laughable,the silence from his fanboys is hilarious too the severe mma crew are a bunch of sbg fanboys.

I'll say it again, radio silence. There was also one guy, well known in the Irish MMA media circles, who I won't name, but he initially and rightfully expressed his support and distaste for what happened here on Twitter and then removed the Tweet a few hours later.

I wonder why?

Mellor wrote: »
    That's a different case then. didn't realise they were publicly slating the ruleset that was in use here within the last year. That's a bit silly as it undermines any position on MMA in the past.

If you watch or listen to the episode, Alan Murphy gives direct quotes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jmx009 wrote: »

I'm only two episodes in but I'm enjoying it too, very funny and some good stories in there. Be interesting to see if it can continue the strong start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Whats Jim Norton like on that podcast? I've not listened in yet. I hadn't heard of him until I seen him doing the support at a Rogan gig. Had to search online when I got home to try and find his name. He's a sick dog, sense of humour is right up my street :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Devastator wrote: »
    Whats Jim Norton like on that podcast? I've not listened in yet. I hadn't heard of him until I seen him doing the support at a Rogan gig. Had to search online when I got home to try and find his name. He's a sick dog, sense of humour is right up my street :D

Yea he's really good, he's very funny, doesn't hold back on the swearing and stories and he knows his way around MMA and UFC so that certainly helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Wish the fight companion lads would stop trying to out do each other with the "OH!!'s".

So so shrill and obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

D.Q wrote: »
    Wish the fight companion lads would stop trying to out do each other with the "OH!!'s".

So so shrill and obnoxious.

The fight companions can be hit and miss. Depends how high Rogan is. Schaub is very funny, he had a story about British debt collectors on the fighter and the kid last week, was hilarious

His story about kimbo is also class, someone on here pointed it out to me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

One thing I've noticed on the fight companions is that the lads would be chatting away and Joe would tell them to pretty much shut up so he can talk about the fight.

It's a bit awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Haha they all give Bryan callen such a hard time as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement