Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's my build?

Options
  • 07-03-2016 7:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'll have to build a new PC soon and I'm wondering how this would perform! I'll be using it for gaming and some development and streaming.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gGK9sY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Right, I would prioritise what you want first.
    The 6600K is a good CPU, no doubt. But you need a Z170 board to take advantage of overclocking it. Likewise, a strong overclock will want adequate (not overly cooled Gigabyte G7 Gaming levels) cooling on VRMS, for stable speeds.
    Next, you have a liquid cooler in the build, but I would wait that one out. The 6600K is a solid performer at stock speeds, and I would hold out on getting a liquid cooler until you can save up some more.
    8GB RAM is fine, obviously one can always add more if development and streaming need it.
    A GTX 960 is a fairly washy card, with some games destroying it and others benefiting it's tessalation performance. For the same price, go with the R9 380 from Powercolor or Sapphire and overclock it. It supercedes the 960, or with the money you saved from the liquid cooler, put it towards the R9 390 which is viewed as the best value card right now. If you can't afford that, the 380X is a good middle ground card.
    Your storage is ok, personally I would try and get an SSD+HDD in your build. A 240GB SSD from Crucial (the BX200) is €60, which is good value, and is great for storing your OS, some games and any videos you save.
    PSU will be fine. Just be aware that an R9 390 will push you to about 340 watts, so the fan might be a bit louder on the PSU, but then Corsair's aren't that loud anyway.

Some words of advice; If you can wait, June and July will see the release of some powerful cards from AMD and Nvidia this year. You might score a good card then.
    You are also using the USA pcpartpicker site. I have never ever seen price parity with the US in terms of electronics. The Core i5 6600K in € clocks in around €250-€260, so be mindful of that.
    Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The k version does not come with a cooler so you might as well get a good one if you're getting any.
    As said, either get a z170 board with a good cooler so you can overclock the 6600k or get a 6500 with the motherboard you have in that build and use the stock cooler. You could then spend the money you were going to spend on the cooler on a 240GB ssd.

I think you would be stupid to wait. Might as well build ASAP and enjoy gaming right away.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but both Nvidia and AMD have not announced what range of cards they will be releasing first. People could be waiting a year before the really good price to performance cards are released.

tuxy wrote: »
    The k version does not come with a cooler so you might as well get a good one if you're getting any.
    As said, either get a z170 board with a good cooler so you can overclock the 6600k or get a 6500 with the motherboard you have in that build and use the stock cooler. You could then spend the money you were going to spend on the cooler on a 240GB ssd.

I think you would be stupid to wait. Might as well build ASAP and enjoy gaming right away.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but both Nvidia and AMD have not announced what range of cards they will be releasing first. People could be waiting a year before the really good price to performance cards are released.

GP100 (the 1080 non-ti) is this year. Then, the GP200 (1080ti/Titan P) will be next year.
    Polaris will feature a HBM1 card this year, with HBM2 coming out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Whats the dev work OP? You likely won't need a k cpu

Dropping that and the liquid cooler (Which aren't great iirc anyways) should give you an SSD and a 380/X easily, which will make a much bigger difference than the higher CPU clock

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    GP100 (the 1080 non-ti) is this year.

So when can expect the €200 pascal or polaris card that people should wait for?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    So when can expect the €200 pascal or polaris card that people should wait for?

Rumour mill suggests that June is the release of mobile Pascal. April for mobile Polaris.
    Then, it's June for middle ground Polaris (I expect a €280-€330 card here, or a budget €140-€150 card to whollop the GTX 950 that nVidia has used to dominate the low end market)
    July then is Pascal....no news however on pricing or models, which is why I am waiting for the GTC to be held :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Maybe somebody already said it, but I'd suggest you getting a cheaper CPU cooler or using the stock one, with the money you get a nice SSD 120Gb or 240Gb, whatever you can afford. It'll make a bigger difference than just having a cooler CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LAMENO92

Its a good build but i,ld get a 970 or get an equalievent AMD card and get DDR3 instead of DDR4 just to save some money and put it towards the Better card pricing here in ireland may be different so that option may differ for you. Other than that its ok

LAMENO92 wrote: »
    Its a good build but i,ld get a 970 or get an equalievent AMD card and get DDR3 instead of DDR4 just to save some money and put it towards the Better card pricing here in ireland may be different so that option may differ for you. Other than that its ok

Getting ddr3 with skylake makes no sense, the IMC is designed to take advantage of ddr4. Look at the difference in price.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-Crucial-Ballistix-Sport-DDR3-1600-DIMM-CL9-Dual-Kit_794504.html
    http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-G-Skill-NT-Series-DDR3-1333-DIMM-CL9-Dual-Kit_701016.html

€5 difference, what kind of gpu upgrade would someone get for €5?

Advertisement