Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Older warships visits.

• 07-03-2016 8:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am writing an article on the history of USS Saipan (CVL-48), and discovered that USS JFK was not, in fact, the first US Navy Carrier to visit Dublin. (Saipan swung by in 1952, accompanied by USS Shannon and L.E. Macha). Out of curiousity, is there a history of naval port visits anywhere that we can see what swung by when?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Am writing an article on the history of USS Saipan (CVL-48), and discovered that USS JFK was not, in fact, the first US Navy Carrier to visit Dublin. (Saipan swung by in 1952, accompanied by USS Shannon and L.E. Macha). Out of curiousity, is there a history of naval port visits anywhere that we can see what swung by when?

Maybe try the lads over on Maritime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Actually, maybe have a look at afloat.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TripleC

I think there were actually several visits by US Warships in the late 40s/early 50s . I know I have come across pictures of the light Cruiser USS Fresno in Dublin Port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SMS Schlesien visited Cork circa 1936.

Advertisement