Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for opening UK acc.

• 07-03-2016 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

I looked around the forum and am seeking clarification for the conclusion I've drawn.

Basic story is my wife is applying for an NHS bursary to do a course she been accepted on, they won't let her progress with her bursary application until she provides a UK bank acc number and sort code.

We don't need a card or anything else right now, just acc details to progress the application, time is of the essence.

Monese seems to be out as it's Estonian based.

The conclusion I've come to is to ring an AIB branch (she banks with AIB in the republic) north of the border and arrange to drop in. It's really inconvenient right now but unless I'm missing something I don't see any other option.

So anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Type 'open uk bank account' into boards search, covered numerous times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

I had a similar need a couple of years ago and called into Ulster Bank in Newry with usual ID. Current account opened no problem. I'm not a UB customer in ROI. I imagine First Trust (AIB) would be similar - but as you say, give them a call first to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I had a similar need a couple of years ago and called into Ulster Bank in Newry with usual ID. Current account opened no problem. I'm not a UB customer in ROI. I imagine First Trust (AIB) would be similar - but as you say, give them a call first to check
    Thanks Crunchienut, just glad to hear someone has done it in recent years. I'm planing on ringing a few Newry banks in the morning, they must get this regularly. Just want to know that this is possible as none of the official bank websites will give a clear answer.

thanks dobsdave, I'll done the searches and they mostly come back with online applications that could take time to complete and I'd like to have this wrapped up by the weeks-end if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

dobsdave wrote: »
    Thanks so much dobsdave, hopefully this can provide a UK based acc with which my wife can progress her application. that's the best lead I've got so far.
    I actually have sterling accs in my local irish bank but they're adamant that it had to be a UK based acc, hopefully this will work. I can get onto it first thing in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dobsdave wrote: »

That's an account in foreign currency, but it's still Irish account, not UK account.
    No good for OP.

CiniO wrote: »
    That's an account in foreign currency, but it's still Irish account, not UK account.
    No good for OP.
    Are you sure, the sort code is for a location in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

catbear wrote: »

Monese is not Estonian based, it's Estonia account only for € inwards payments which are subject to fee's and you need reference numbers as it's a holding account.

You will get your own bank account number with UK sort code (Natwest) for £ payments and you get a visa debit card. £ payments are direct to the account (no reference number etc. needed).

You could also look at PayWithFire which also gives a UK bank account.

However there is no cards on this, so you need to withdraw to another account to get the cash and the conversion to € has a 1.25% fee but all other activity is free.

Also note that BACS payments are not accepted inbound, but most likely it's going to be a fasterpay anyhow.

You could also look at PayWithFire which also gives a UK bank account.

However there is no cards on this, so you need to withdraw to another account to get the cash and the conversion to € has a 1.25% fee but all other activity is free.

Also note that BACS payments are not accepted inbound, but most likely it's going to be a fasterpay anyhow.
    Thanks Yggr of Asgard, (I feel like I was swept into some fantasy realm where I've long flowing blond hair, a well shaped beard and yield a large broadsword) there's so much new stuff happening in this sector i got a lot of contradicting information in my searches. Hopefully the AIB option will get back to me soon.

• Advertisement

(I feel like I was swept into some fantasy realm where I've long flowing blond hair, a well shaped beard and yield a large broadsword).

That's a typical day for me at home....

I hope you find the right solution for your UK account challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

So anyone got any ideas?

Monese provides UK accounts what is the problem?

The account is in £.

Monese gives you your own UK Bank Account Number and Sort Code which you can use for £ transactions (incoming/outcoming) and via visa debit card.

soirish wrote: »
    Monese provides UK accounts what is the problem?

The account is in £.

Monese gives you your own UK Bank Account Number and Sort Code which you can use for £ transactions (incoming/outcoming) and via visa debit card.
    From what I've read on other threads about monese the bic number is Estonian. Yes it is a £ acc but it does not seem to provide a UK sort code and acc number.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

From what I've read on other threads about monese the bic number is Estonian. Yes it is a £ acc but it does not seem to provide a UK sort code and acc number.

Please read the full thread, I think Estonian BIC applies to EUR account only.

soirish wrote: »
    Please read the full thread, I think Estonian BIC applies to EUR account only.
    I was reading it on my phone so will have a more thorough look now. If it does check out then I'm applying asap, AIB are making an absolute hames of our application which they initially assured us would only take a few days.
    After this morning encounter with them I estimate it could take a few weeks to get sorted.
    This is really frustrating as we don't actually need to use a UK bank acc, just need to have one.
    If monese doesn't work out I'm ringing bank branches in Newry on Monday.

Ok, went through the monese app and it appears to have supplied me a sort code that checks out as UK based. Hopefully when we run it through the application it will be accepted as such and that will be a load off our minds.

thanks for everyone's imput. I'd read other stuff about monese from last year that left me with more questions than answers but having experienced the doofery of AIB messing up a simply application process it massively increased my need for a resolution immediately.

Advertisement