Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The murder of a (spy?), Limerick 1920

Options
  • 07-03-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

An article on the fatal shooting of James Dalton, a prominent sportsman and figure on the Nationalist scene, in Limerick City on May 1920, and the heated debate surrounding it.

In the Presence of His Enemies: The Controversy of James Dalton, May 1920

Several theories for the killing were put forward: he had been killed by the IRA. He had been killed by the IRB. He had been a spy for the RIC. He had been an IRA intelligent agent who had been visiting his contacts for information and had been mistaken by his own side as a spy. He had been killed because he liked a drink too much and had been seen visiting the house of a senior RIC officer for one. He had been killed over the intense hostility between the 1st and 2nd battalions in the Limerick IRA (Dalton being a member of the former).

Unlike other cases of alleged spies in the War of Independence, Dalton had already been cleared in an investigation by Dáil Éireann of espionage. But, clearly, not everyone had agreed with that acquittal.

There was an internal IRA inquiry into Dalton's death, with a court-martial for the man who was considered the most likely suspect. The accused was a member of the 2nd battalion, which gives weight to the theory that the murder was at least a result of that feud. The court-martial fizzled out, however, and the accused man was released.

To this day, the murder of James Dalton remains unsolved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Spies aren't murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Spies aren't murdered.

How do you know he was a spy? How do you know he wasn't murdered by a robber, or even a jealous gay lover?

Some hypocrisy about spies from Blackadder, you can insert any country in place of them:

Captain Darling: So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshall Haig is most anxious to eliminate all these German spies.

General Melchett: Filthy hun weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war!

Captain Darling: And fortunately, one of our spies...

General Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Spies aren't murdered.

Please read op properly in future. If you wish to contradict what it says you need to explain on what basis. Response as quoted can be seen as baiting or trolling by some users.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Please read op properly in future. If you wish to contradict what it says you need to explain on what basis. Response as quoted can be seen as baiting or trolling by some users.

I read the OP, and noticed the baiting and trolling or at least prejuducial comment contained therein, one for which the OP is consistently known. Casualties on a certain side of the Irish War of Independence were always "murdered" in his view.

As for my comment, it is a simple statement of the obvious. I really don't know what more needs to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

I read the OP, and noticed the baiting and trolling or at least prejuducial comment contained therein, one for which the OP is consistently known. Casualties on a certain side of the Irish War of Independence were always "murdered" in his view.

As for my comment, it is a simple statement of the obvious. I really don't know what more needs to be said.

And which side was Dalton on? Hence the controversy at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Your reply is entirely your own prerogative.
    Moderating the forum is mine.

2 week ban for trolling
    a further 2 weeks for ignoring moderator instruction.

As you seem unable to either argue your point succinctly nor follow simple instructions you are entitled to boycott the forum in future should you wish...

Advertisement