Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement Factory to burn tyres from all over the country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think you're confusing the process with burning tyres on a bonfire. There's no issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Read the article, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭screamer

Do you know what happens to waste tyres at the moment? they are baled and shipped to China where they are broken down into fuel......
    now, sorry, but it's a typical case of NIMBYism, everyone needs the product, wants it, but no one wants to deal with the waste. I think incinerating it in Ireland is far greener than shipping back to China TBH.

Casperbhoy wrote: »

Kilns and waste incinerators are very different.

Not least because of the temperatures kilns operate at.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Do you have an article less than 10 years old that deals with current technology which shows that incinerating tyres is more harmful than burning coal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Making cement takes an enormous amount of energy.

Any steps to be more sustainable and use a waste product is highly welcome as far as I'm concerned.

The big issue for people with the proposed incinerator in Ringaskiddy is the location. Its basically right beside a college campus. Concerns are more about the day to day operation than pollution.

The cement factory is self contained and existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

moleyv wrote: »
    Making cement takes an enormous amount of energy.

Any steps to be more sustainable and use a waste product is highly welcome as far as I'm concerned.

The big issue for people with the proposed incinerator in Ringaskiddy is the location. Its basically right beside a college campus. Concerns are more about the day to day operation than pollution.

The cement factory is self contained and existing.

Is there not a new school development planned for Mungret College which is right beside Irish Cement

A new school and large playground is planned in Mungret

If they're building a school beside a kiln they're probably ok with the kiln being there.

• Advertisement

to be fair, the Cement factory does not fill me with confidence.

Ive often came out with a layer of dust on my car

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business-news/135076/EPA-investigating--dust-emission-.html

Dust that isn't harmful.

No idea about the school. But they currently use fossil fuel, they will be changing that for a more sustainable source of energy, that will be burnt at such a high temp to destroy any toxins.

The cement factory is existing, if they deem a school to be alright there before this upgrade, it only further negates your argument.

Sure people will object, and you will have your opportunity to object or make a submission during the planning process. If you do object I suggest you make your concerns known during that process rather than idly complaining.

Oh and as for driving into a cement factory and complaining about coming out with dust on the car, what do you expect?

Such facilities have a waste license. They will have safe limits they can operate within. One of these will be dust, they will have a limit. It will be measured at a certain distance from the plant at a number of points, this is normally tested by an independent and submitted as part of the ongoing licensing process.

Repeated failures to meet these standards would result in a loss of license. Any extraordinary events will be subject to following mitigation measures and reporting of incidents.

I have no issue if people have a difference of opinion and object, but the arguments so far remind me of people who build a house near a pig farm, then complain about the smell.

moleyv wrote: »
    the arguments so far remind me of people who build a house near a pig farm, then complain about the smell.

That's all well and good but what if the pig farm decides it wants to build near you?

Tim76 wrote:
    That's all well and good but what if the pig farm decides it wants to build near you?

Then if I had an objection, I would voice my concerns.

To weigh up if I had an objection, I would look at the planning application.

Pig farms over a certain size have to submit an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), and may also be subject to licensing like the cement factory.

One of the EIS areas it must cover aside from safe limits for x, y and z is impact on humans. Part of that would be separation distances from dwellings etc.

And if someone lives in the countryside, they should expect the odd smell of ****e now and then.

Most smells from agricultural facilities is when slurry is being agitated, a limited time frame in that year.

Any more arguments against the cement factory proposal for discussion?

Also for anyone wanting to object, familiarise yourself with the limited time frame in which you can lodge your objection/submission. Also be sure to only make planning related arguments.

Anything along the lines of, I don't want it near me etc could be dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I would imagine the air quality will be closely monitored by the EPA.

It might also prevent the illegal dumping of tyres down embankments of our national roads. Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

to be fair, the Cement factory does not fill me with confidence.

Ive often came out with a layer of dust on my car

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business-news/135076/EPA-investigating--dust-emission-.html

So it would be fair to say that you support NIMBY:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

So it would be fair to say that you support NIMBY:rolleyes:

What does being a member of the National Institute of Marlon Brando Yodelers have to do with this? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

What kind of emissions would be expected from the incineration of rubber and plastic? Would it not be the same or worse than burning fossil fuels? I can see how it can be regarded as sustainable but I don't see how it can be considered a clean or environmentally friendly process.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I wonder if Mr Binmans new site on the dock Road is related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I wonder if Mr Binmans new site on the dock Road is related?

It's all part of the "completely clean emissions" district. Brought to you by the same regulations that makes diesel clean and healthy. But only in Europe.

Doesn't seem to be in usa or japan for some reason.

Different diesel I suppose.

Lolz.

Punkyblip wrote: »

I think you forgot the quotation marks ;) Articles like that will certainly do a lot to house prices in the area, whether they got the science to back them up or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Never fear, the EPA are here to protect us!
    Nothing gets past these fearless, effective, scientifically rigorous and definitely on the side of Joe Public air quality heroes!
    Available around the clock!* Strike while the iron is hot!**

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/business/200946/-EPA-s-reputation-in-tatters.html

https://www.labour.ie/news/2016/01/08/public-confidence-and-credibility-of-epa-is-shot-a/

http://www.thejournal.ie/enva-plant-prime-time-2536834-Jan2016/
    A SENATOR HAS accused the Environmental Protection Agency of ‘being asleep at the wheel’ after carcinogenic materials were released in Portlaoise just 150 metres from homes.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/john-whelan-says-the-epa-is-colluding-over-a-portlaoise-plant-1410597-Apr2014/

*Some glitches in their phone system have resulted in no record of awkward calls.
    ** By "hot", understand that the process will be tested in its dormant state not in its active state. Trust them, they know their science and stuff!

Never fear, the EPA are here to protect us!
    Nothing gets past these fearless, effective, scientifically rigorous and definitely on the side of Joe Public air quality heroes!
    Available around the clock!* Strike while the iron is hot!**

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/business/200946/-EPA-s-reputation-in-tatters.html

https://www.labour.ie/news/2016/01/08/public-confidence-and-credibility-of-epa-is-shot-a/

http://www.thejournal.ie/enva-plant-prime-time-2536834-Jan2016/
    A SENATOR HAS accused the Environmental Protection Agency of ‘being asleep at the wheel’ after carcinogenic materials were released in Portlaoise just 150 metres from homes.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/john-whelan-says-the-epa-is-colluding-over-a-portlaoise-plant-1410597-Apr2014/

*Some glitches in their phone system have resulted in no record of awkward calls.
    ** By "hot", understand that the process will be tested in its dormant state not in its active state. Trust them, they know their science and stuff!

That's a relief. It wouldn't be like regulatory bodies in this country (I'm looking at you Central Bank) to drop the ball when it comes to the interest of the public! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭screamer

zulutango wrote: »
    What kind of emissions would be expected from the incineration of rubber and plastic? Would it not be the same or worse than burning fossil fuels? I can see how it can be regarded as sustainable but I don't see how it can be considered a clean or environmentally friendly process.

Well, do you know of a way to dispose of tyres that is environmentally friendly? It's problematic in the extreme. In China they are able to reverse engineer them and turn them back into fuel, but of course, the costs in Ireland would be astronomical, and there are problems with emissions etc that the EU would not like. But seriously, tyres don't break down easily, they go to landfill, that's not good either.
    We used to have some tyre retreading plants who used to take old tyres and retread them, but everyone wanted new cheap tyres from china, rather than recycled tyres, and with no incentives from the government, this recycling industry has all but disappeared from Ireland. So, now, there is a price to pay for the consumption of new tyres from China, and this is it.
    That's just the way things are.

screamer wrote: »
    Well, do you know of a way to dispose of tyres that is environmentally friendly? It's problematic in the extreme. In China they are able to reverse engineer them and turn them back into fuel, but of course, the costs in Ireland would be astronomical, and there are problems with emissions etc that the EU would not like. But seriously, tyres don't break down easily, they go to landfill, that's not good either.
    We used to have some tyre retreading plants who used to take old tyres and retread them, but everyone wanted new cheap tyres from china, rather than recycled tyres, and with no incentives from the government, this recycling industry has all but disappeared from Ireland. So, now, there is a price to pay for the consumption of new tyres from China, and this is it.
    That's just the way things are.

Not in the EU. The majority of tyres are banned under the landfill directive.

For anyone who wishes to view the application the reference file number is 16153. Follow the link below and enter the number in the relevant search bar...

http://eplan.limerick.ie/SearchExact

No docs or drawings have been scanned nor uploaded as yet despite LCC have the app for over a week now. As mentioned earlier in the thread there is a limited time frame to make a submission/observation so if you do have any concerns they will have to be made known before Sunday 03/04/2016 00:00:00. Link below for advice on doing same...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/commenting_on_planning_application.html

The EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) will make for some interesting reading but bear in mind this document has been prepared on behalf of the applicant and will be heavily skewed to support their views.

Tim76 wrote: »
    The EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) will make for some interesting reading but bear in mind this document has been prepared on behalf of the applicant and will be heavily skewed to support their views.

Bear in mind you're free to disagree with any findings in the EIS and counter it with science to back you up.

But the above reads like you're framing the content of the EIS as being flawed before it has even been published.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

@Tim76. Obviously you're totally against this, but is it worse than what's already there? They currently burn fossil fuels on site. Surely this method gives off less emissions than burning fossil fuels.

Advertisement