Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement Factory to burn tyres from all over the country

14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I hope you make it Kid. Don't forget, you've the junior Cert Celebrations the night before ;).

You talking to somebody in particular or...

Any frame of reference at all?

^ not a rhetorical question

He was referring to a post I have actually deleted, implying someone was a child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Ah yeah that doesn't show on mobile. Does it show on desktop that there was a post deleted?

You can understand the confusion I'm sure. It appeared directly under my past without any indication that he was speaking to anybody but me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

There goes the neighbourhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Would be nice if Irish cement provided some reassurances about what they plan on doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Would be nice if Irish cement provided some reassurances about what they plan on doing.
    Aren't all the details about what the are planning to do in the planning and environmental documents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Its probably in their community newsletter , episode 1 just out !!!!!!!

Oh wait, its not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

That newsletter was so infuriating. Had to put it in the reccyling before I set fire to it (and thereby released their bad gases into the atmosphere)

Tree wrote: »
    That newsletter was so infuriating. Had to put it in the reccyling before I set fire to it (and thereby released their bad gases into the atmosphere)

If your fire was hot enough then there will be no bad gases and nothing to worry about ;)

Wouldnt like to live near it. All them new houses in that area prices going to fall big time due to air pollution.

You're wrong there Ted. There'll be fcuk all air pollution, and the house prices are already rocketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wouldnt like to live near it. All them new houses in that area prices going to fall big time due to air pollution.

Strict pollution laws, technology would be installed to capture most pollutants

The whole city lives near the Cement Factory. It's 3km from the Shannon Bridge Roundabout to their gates. You can clearly see the facility from the city centre. Also, given the prevailing southwesterly winds, the factory is positioned in the worst place possible should there ever be an incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Tim76 wrote: »
    The whole city lives near the Cement Factory. It's 3km from the Shannon Bridge Roundabout to their gates. You can clearly see the facility from the city centre. Also, given the prevailing southwesterly winds, the factory is positioned in the worst place possible should there ever be an incident.

It's been there since 1938.it ain't going anywhere.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    It's been there since 1938.it ain't going anywhere.

Neither is the population of Limerick. However Irish Cement are the ones changing their industrial processes without any consent from their neighbours. Will air pollution be better or worse? - who knows. I've dealt with the EPA previously in my professional life and, to be honest, I wouldn't have 100% confidence in them. Given Irish Cement's previous record and behaviour, my confidence in them would be even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Has Irish Cement or any of the factories out the estuary contributed to ill health in the locals? Apart from having worked there for a bit 20 odd years ago, when the health and safety side of things was OTT (and rightly so probably).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Granadino wrote: »
    Has Irish Cement or any of the factories out the estuary contributed to ill health in the locals? Apart from having worked there for a bit 20 odd years ago, when the health and safety side of things was OTT (and rightly so probably).

You're hardly going to know that unless a detailed study has been carried out.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Strict pollution laws, technology would be installed to capture most pollutants

Technology is installed to control and limit pollution in line with their IED but not to eliminate it. To do so is impossible.

There are huge volumes of pollutants as a by product of their processes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Technology is installed to control and limit pollution in line with their IED but not to eliminate it. To do so is impossible.

There are huge volumes of pollutants as a by product of their processes.

yup, its impossible to completely prevent such pollutants, but air quality does have some good restrictions and limits, and is reasonably well monitored

Emissions are very well monitored ans reported on. No doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Monitored by who ?

• Advertisement

I remember the sick animals out the estuary years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tim76 wrote: »

It's Chernobyl just waiting to happen...

Yes. Yes. Indeed it is. :rolleyes:

jonski wrote: »
    Monitored by who ?

You, if you want. Their AER is published and will detail volumetric pollutant output and how they performed against their licenced parameters among other info.

From a regulatory point of view, by the EPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

You're hardly going to know that unless a detailed study has been carried out.

Who would carry out the study.?
    Do you think everyone would accept the conclusions/findings.?

Yeah, we're all goosed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

washman3 wrote: »
    Who would carry out the study.?

It would have to be privately commissioned or independently funded and would need to take place over many years. You'd need a feasibility study first I'd suspect.

Do you think everyone would accept the conclusions/findings.?

Not a chance, no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Advertisement