Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cement Factory to burn tyres from all over the country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭davo2001

These "blowouts" are happening on nearly a weekly basis now, are they at least admitting this one happened? I live half a mile from the plant and my car is regulary covered in crap from it.

We are in the process of buying a house, and the issues with the cement factory have all but ruled out Mungret and the surrounding areas for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

smurfyirl wrote: »
    Living pretty close to the factory and its ridiculous how often my car gets coated with crap from the factory. You walk out in the morning and its covered in a layer of dust.

I dont mean to sound petty about this. But there seem to be about 80 staff at the factory there. Its right beside a huge residential area that affects thousands. 80 people versus the possible health of thousands. It seems a no brainer.

No way should they be allowed incinerate tyres there. I dont care what tonnage limitations they say they will use. They are guaranteed to seek an increase down the line. Im not convinced that the burning will be safe and based on current experience of blowouts, im worried about long term effects.

The Cement factory has been there since 1938, did you not notice it when you moved in? Its kinda hard to miss. :rolleyes:

brownej wrote: »
    The Cement factory has been there since 1938, did you not notice it when you moved in? Its kinda hard to miss. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with it in theory and if it was operated properly, but when it starts dumping dust particials on me and my cars and when the same company denies it happening, thats when I draw the line smartass.

davo2001 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with it in theory and if it was operated properly, but when it starts dumping dust particials on me and my cars and when the same company denies it happening, thats when I draw the line smartass.

There does appear to be a history of "discharges" from the factory and they do seem to be increasing in frequency. Whether this is due to more people noticing as there are more residents or whether there is genuinely more discharges.
    I would suggest pursueing this through the EPA as it is clearly not acceptable.
    If the discharges are due to some safety release system then there is probably a HSA issue also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I am guessing, 20, 30 years ago, there were less people living near the factory, so less people noticed.

Funny that they were able to run a quality dairy farm just up the road for years with no side effects from what I can recall... Maybe it was on the right side of the winds...

seachto7 wrote: »
    I am guessing, 20, 30 years ago, there were less people living near the factory, so less people noticed.

Funny that they were able to run a quality dairy farm just up the road for years with no side effects from what I can recall... Maybe it was on the right side of the winds...

Cooperhill farm is still in operation!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 smurfyirl

brownej wrote: »

Yeah funnily enough I did see the big ass building alright. For the first few years it wasn't an issue but having lived here nearly a decade, it is definately becoming more frequent.

There have been several hundred complaints put in over the years. Even a well attended protest march a few months ago.

My main issue is that this didn't occur with anything near the same frequency up until around the time they went on strike a few years ago. Since then it's a regular occurrence. Now they are looking to change fuel which already generates a coating of crap with used tyres etc which are possibly carcinogenic when not treated properly.

My main issue is that this didn't occur with anything near the same frequency up until around the time they went on strike a few years ago. Since then it's a regular occurrence. Now they are looking to change fuel which already generates a coating of crap with used tyres etc which are possibly carcinogenic when not treated properly.

Isn't this it though? Possibly doesn't mean probably, but I suppose you want to not even have it in the equation....

Isn't this it though? Possibly doesn't mean probably, but I suppose you want to not even have it in the equation....

Considering their track record of denying blow outs occur at all, I'm not very willing to give them the benefit of the doubt over this. Especially in an area where several thousand children play/live.

Why would you take the risk? To me it's madness! I know this sounds like the perfect spot for a think of the children meme, but it does kinda happen to be true in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Irish Cement apologises for 'blow-out' at Limerick plant. COMPANY HAS MADE ARRANGEMENTS FOR CAR WASHES AND CLEANING PROPERTIES
    ....However, up until this Friday, the company had denied liability for the blow-outs in the area.....

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/247385/irish-cement-apologises-for-blow-out-at-limerick-plant.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Comhra wrote: »

I guess that uncontrolled fire at the recycling plant on ballysimon will have emitted hundreds of times more emissions than the plant will in mungret over many years. Puts it in perspective.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/248352/watch-dramatic-drone-footage-shows-extent-of-limerick-fire.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardmaster

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I guess that uncontrolled fire at the recycling plant on ballysimon will have emitted hundreds of times more emissions than the plant will in mungret over many years. Puts it in perspective.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/248352/watch-dramatic-drone-footage-shows-extent-of-limerick-fire.html

How does this put it in perspective? One is a fire the other is the idea of continuous burning of tyres which seems to have little oversight and bad history of being upfront with the local population.

I can't work out from what you have written if you think its a good or bad idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

jsd1004 wrote: »

Depends on what was burning I would have thought.

Anyone else get their cars coated in last day or two again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Anyone else get their cars coated in last day or two again?

I live in Dooradoyle (near M20 side) and I come out to a very thin ray of dust on my car most mornings, it's especially noticeable in on the windscreen. I could clean it off but it's there again next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Amazed at the low level of attention this is getting it will be a serious health risk and right beside homes and schools

Hopefully common sense prevails

A lot of scaremongering going on as well. Again, the Facebook groups using pictures of burning tyres is very misleading.

The plan is to burn tyres though so it can't be far off the mark can it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buring tyres out in the open and incinerating tyres at extremely high temperatures in a closed environment are completely different things.

• Advertisement

isn't that the point though, they are not burning them in a closed environment but inside an old chimney. Hardly high tech or safe and more akin to burning them in the open.

I haven't seen the particular picture or group but post it up and I'll take a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Factory was there before the schools.

moleyv wrote: »
    Factory was there before the schools.

So does that make it OK?

davo2001 wrote:
    So does that make it OK?

It means don't blame the factory if there is an impact on the schools or any house built after the factory. Common sense is all.

Report any incidents to the EPA where you believe the factory is operating outside of its licence. Seek legal advice if you don't think the EPA are fulfilling their role.

It's way off the mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Anyone have a layer of dust on their cars this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

John_Mc wrote: »

Yep. I had a layer on mine. Do you know where we can make an official complaint?

Cheers. Will definitely be making my feelings felt. With the heat that was there last night every bedroom window in the house was open so i'm assuming the kids have a layer of this crap in their lungs as well :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

You guys must have some serious problems as I had a layer of dust on my car this morning and I live in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I spent all yesterday afternoon washing & waxing my beloved A4 with much sweating in the mad humidity, getting it to showroom condition - only to have it covered in brown wet dust which has dried into a mud-like gunge...and I don't feel like repeating the wash again today. :mad:

I'm blaming the Sahara and the Southerly plumes of warm air - probably originating in Spain or N.Africa.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    You guys must have some serious problems as I had a layer of dust on my car this morning and I live in Dublin!

I was just out in a public car park and the car beside me was covered in dust and so was mine, but most others weren't - meaning it's localised and not from a weather system.

This isn't a light coating either. See attached screenshots:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Are all you guys living in Dooradoyle?

Harambe wrote: »

Mungret myself.

No, on the Ennis Road, but I did drop a friend home to Dooradoyle at about 1.30 am when it was lashing rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Comhra wrote: »
    I spent all yesterday afternoon washing & waxing my beloved A4 with much sweating in the mad humidity, getting it to showroom condition - only to have it covered in brown wet dust which has dried into a mud-like gunge...and I don't feel like repeating the wash again today. :mad:

I'm blaming the Sahara and the Southerly plumes of warm air - probably originating in Spain or N.Africa.

Sahara dust is more of a red colour , not brown...

Ballinacura Road.

Complained to the EPA, handy enough process if ye follow the link earlier in the thread. Don't know what good it'll do but worth reporting anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No, on the Ennis Road, but I did drop a friend home to Dooradoyle at about 1.30 am when it was lashing rain.

Wouldn't heavy rain actually stop dust from spreading?

I was just out in a public car park and the car beside me was covered in dust and so was mine, but most others weren't - meaning it's localised and not from a weather system.

This isn't a light coating either. See attached screenshots:

How do you know it's from Irish Cement though?

Have the same on my car in Dublin. Must have been some blowout.

How do you know it's from Irish Cement though?

Plenty of previously confirmed cases such as this coming from the plant. They denied it vehemently last time and only admitted it once lab tests confirmed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

My car is the same in Clare, I only washed it at the weekend
    :(

EPA just rang me there and said they're investigating but think it's weather related. A very prompt response from them to be fair

Seem to have the same on my car locally. Looks like LAP are asking people to collect samples.

"We have received numerous complaints from residents in the Mungret, Raheen areas of more dust covering cars and houses as of this morning. Please notify the EPA and Irish cement and take samples from your cars for analysis to prove where the dust is coming from.EPA phone number is 021-4875540 and Irish cement 061-487200. Spread the word"

"Samples will be submitted to the EPA for electron-microscopy."

Plenty of previously confirmed cases such as this coming from the plant. They denied it vehemently last time and only admitted it once lab tests confirmed it.

The cars in Dublin are covered with dust too.

To be fair, I made a complaint to the EPA yesterday and had both the EPA and Irish Cement call be directly within 2 hours. They said they are investigating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tbh it did look like the dust from the cement factory. Windows on the car destroyed today from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

Any thoughts on what will come out of the irish cement development oral hearing in the south court this week.

Has made national news and media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Permission Granted

.... something along the lines of," taking into account all the excellent submissions etc etc, permission had already been granted by the relevant authority, the EPA, (bearing in mind that An Bord Pleanala has no jurisdiction here in relation to a license and it is not within their remit) , therefore the original planning application is green lit as of March 2017(EPA license blah blah) with"stringent conditions " attached....."

Does anyone honestly think it will go any other way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

moby2101 wrote: »
    Permission Granted

.... something along the lines of," taking into account all the excellent submissions etc etc, permission had already been granted by the relevant authority, the EPA, (bearing in mind that An Bord Pleanala has no jurisdiction here in relation to a license and it is not within their remit) , therefore the original planning application is green lit as of March 2017(EPA license blah blah) with"stringent conditions " attached....."

Does anyone honestly think it will go any other way?
    Does anyone think it should go any other way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Surely Irish Cements previous badly tarnished record of lying about its clumsy inept and relatively regular environmental pollution incidents now puts it in a very weak arguing position regarding how it will conduct itself going forward.

If I could select a company I'd trust to burn noxious cr@p that other countries are delighted to get rid of and while allowing the toxic output into the lungs of all of the poor people in the rapidly growing suburban area of Mungret I think Irish Cements Moronic Management would be the last I'd pick.....

Incredibly there are 3 new schools about to open within a stones throw of this plant!

Also please be aware that there are alternative cement products on the market - Please select accordingly and if its not you buying in person then tell your builder/contractor etc that Irish Cement products are not tolerated under any circumstances.

We should boycott them out of this game.

Link below is to Lagan Cement - Lagan are proud of their manufacturing processes whereby they do not poison families daily.....

http://www.mcmahons.ie/catalog/product/view/id/29637/s/lagan-cement-25kg-bag/category/42/

Advertisement