Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement Factory to burn tyres from all over the country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Would that explain why my car was covered in dusty crap on Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

davo2001 wrote: »
    Would that explain why my car was covered in dusty crap on Saturday morning?

Yup, the same stuff you were probably inhaling the whole night. Im sure ICL will say that its harmless

The plume usually travels north. Must have been a change in wind direction during the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tbf, unless you were sleeping outside, you wouldn't be inhaling it all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Funny how 'blowouts' always coincide with those rare northerly winds!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Pikasso wrote: »
    Funny how 'blowouts' always coincide with those rare northerly winds!!! :rolleyes:

http://plumeplotter.com/mungret/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    There was another blow out over the weekend. The EPA and HSE are investigating

07-minister.jpg

:o:( May as well send the guards in with the phantom breathalysers I'd say.

Thanks for the plume plotter link - I was aware of the site from looking at the Cobh plotter but it didn't have Mungret the last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 plumeplotter

Tbf, unless you were sleeping outside, you wouldn't be inhaling it all night.
    I read that typically 70% of outdoor PM2.5 pollution enters the home. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 smurfyirl

Living pretty close to the factory and its ridiculous how often my car gets coated with crap from the factory. You walk out in the morning and its covered in a layer of dust.

I dont mean to sound petty about this. But there seem to be about 80 staff at the factory there. Its right beside a huge residential area that affects thousands. 80 people versus the possible health of thousands. It seems a no brainer.

No way should they be allowed incinerate tyres there. I dont care what tonnage limitations they say they will use. They are guaranteed to seek an increase down the line. Im not convinced that the burning will be safe and based on current experience of blowouts, im worried about long term effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    There was another blow out over the weekend. The EPA and HSE are investigating

I was wondering if this was the case as my car was covered in it.

Where did you read this?

• Advertisement

These "blowouts" are happening on nearly a weekly basis now, are they at least admitting this one happened? I live half a mile from the plant and my car is regulary covered in crap from it.

We are in the process of buying a house, and the issues with the cement factory have all but ruled out Mungret and the surrounding areas for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

smurfyirl wrote: »
    Living pretty close to the factory and its ridiculous how often my car gets coated with crap from the factory. You walk out in the morning and its covered in a layer of dust.

I dont mean to sound petty about this. But there seem to be about 80 staff at the factory there. Its right beside a huge residential area that affects thousands. 80 people versus the possible health of thousands. It seems a no brainer.

No way should they be allowed incinerate tyres there. I dont care what tonnage limitations they say they will use. They are guaranteed to seek an increase down the line. Im not convinced that the burning will be safe and based on current experience of blowouts, im worried about long term effects.

The Cement factory has been there since 1938, did you not notice it when you moved in? Its kinda hard to miss. :rolleyes:

brownej wrote: »
    The Cement factory has been there since 1938, did you not notice it when you moved in? Its kinda hard to miss. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with it in theory and if it was operated properly, but when it starts dumping dust particials on me and my cars and when the same company denies it happening, thats when I draw the line smartass.

davo2001 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with it in theory and if it was operated properly, but when it starts dumping dust particials on me and my cars and when the same company denies it happening, thats when I draw the line smartass.

There does appear to be a history of "discharges" from the factory and they do seem to be increasing in frequency. Whether this is due to more people noticing as there are more residents or whether there is genuinely more discharges.
    I would suggest pursueing this through the EPA as it is clearly not acceptable.
    If the discharges are due to some safety release system then there is probably a HSA issue also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I am guessing, 20, 30 years ago, there were less people living near the factory, so less people noticed.

Funny that they were able to run a quality dairy farm just up the road for years with no side effects from what I can recall... Maybe it was on the right side of the winds...

seachto7 wrote: »
    I am guessing, 20, 30 years ago, there were less people living near the factory, so less people noticed.

Funny that they were able to run a quality dairy farm just up the road for years with no side effects from what I can recall... Maybe it was on the right side of the winds...

Cooperhill farm is still in operation!

brownej wrote: »

Yeah funnily enough I did see the big ass building alright. For the first few years it wasn't an issue but having lived here nearly a decade, it is definately becoming more frequent.

There have been several hundred complaints put in over the years. Even a well attended protest march a few months ago.

My main issue is that this didn't occur with anything near the same frequency up until around the time they went on strike a few years ago. Since then it's a regular occurrence. Now they are looking to change fuel which already generates a coating of crap with used tyres etc which are possibly carcinogenic when not treated properly.

My main issue is that this didn't occur with anything near the same frequency up until around the time they went on strike a few years ago. Since then it's a regular occurrence. Now they are looking to change fuel which already generates a coating of crap with used tyres etc which are possibly carcinogenic when not treated properly.

Isn't this it though? Possibly doesn't mean probably, but I suppose you want to not even have it in the equation....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Isn't this it though? Possibly doesn't mean probably, but I suppose you want to not even have it in the equation....

Considering their track record of denying blow outs occur at all, I'm not very willing to give them the benefit of the doubt over this. Especially in an area where several thousand children play/live.

Why would you take the risk? To me it's madness! I know this sounds like the perfect spot for a think of the children meme, but it does kinda happen to be true in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Irish Cement apologises for 'blow-out' at Limerick plant. COMPANY HAS MADE ARRANGEMENTS FOR CAR WASHES AND CLEANING PROPERTIES
    ....However, up until this Friday, the company had denied liability for the blow-outs in the area.....

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/247385/irish-cement-apologises-for-blow-out-at-limerick-plant.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Comhra wrote: »

I guess that uncontrolled fire at the recycling plant on ballysimon will have emitted hundreds of times more emissions than the plant will in mungret over many years. Puts it in perspective.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/248352/watch-dramatic-drone-footage-shows-extent-of-limerick-fire.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardmaster

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I guess that uncontrolled fire at the recycling plant on ballysimon will have emitted hundreds of times more emissions than the plant will in mungret over many years. Puts it in perspective.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/248352/watch-dramatic-drone-footage-shows-extent-of-limerick-fire.html

How does this put it in perspective? One is a fire the other is the idea of continuous burning of tyres which seems to have little oversight and bad history of being upfront with the local population.

I can't work out from what you have written if you think its a good or bad idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

jsd1004 wrote: »

Depends on what was burning I would have thought.

Anyone else get their cars coated in last day or two again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Anyone else get their cars coated in last day or two again?

I live in Dooradoyle (near M20 side) and I come out to a very thin ray of dust on my car most mornings, it's especially noticeable in on the windscreen. I could clean it off but it's there again next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Amazed at the low level of attention this is getting it will be a serious health risk and right beside homes and schools

Hopefully common sense prevails

A lot of scaremongering going on as well. Again, the Facebook groups using pictures of burning tyres is very misleading.

The plan is to burn tyres though so it can't be far off the mark can it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The plan is to burn tyres though so it can't be far off the mark can it?

Buring tyres out in the open and incinerating tyres at extremely high temperatures in a closed environment are completely different things.

• Advertisement

isn't that the point though, they are not burning them in a closed environment but inside an old chimney. Hardly high tech or safe and more akin to burning them in the open.

I haven't seen the particular picture or group but post it up and I'll take a look.

Advertisement