Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cement Factory to burn tyres from all over the country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Mango Joe wrote: »
    We should boycott them out of this game.

Link below is to Lagan Cement - Lagan are proud of their manufacturing processes whereby they do not poison families daily.....

http://www.mcmahons.ie/catalog/product/view/id/29637/s/lagan-cement-25kg-bag/category/42/
    Hate to burst your bubble.
    From yesterday afternoons session, as reported by the Limerick Leader
    Director of communications with Irish Cement, Brian Gilmore, also pointed to dioxin levels in milk fat at a cement factory in Kinnegad in Co Westmeath which switched to alternative methods 11 years ago, pointing out its dioxin levels were in line with studies from across Ireland.
    The plant he is referring to is the Lagan Cement Plant in Kinnegad, which uses the exact same methods of cement production as Irish Cement are proposing to use in Mungret, very informative video on the Lagan website
    https://www.laganproducts.com/lagan-cement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Has anyone else noticed that the noise levels at night seem to have increased considerably in the recent weeks?

Or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

jbkenn wrote: »
    Hate to burst your bubble.
    From yesterday afternoons session, as reported by the Limerick Leader

The plant he is referring to is the Lagan Cement Plant in Kinnegad, which uses the exact same methods of cement production as Irish Cement are proposing to use in Mungret, very informative video on the Lagan website
    https://www.laganproducts.com/lagan-cement

Great - Let me know when Lagan agree to come down to Mungret and run this shoddy operation properly so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Great - Let me know when Lagan agree to come down to Mungret and run this shoddy operation properly so ;)
    What makes you think Lagan would make a better fist of running the Mungret plant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

allowing the toxic output into the lungs of all of the poor people in the rapidly growing suburban area of Mungret I think Irish Cements Moronic Management would be the last I'd pick.....

Incredibly there are 3 new schools about to open within a stones throw of this plant!

Incredible they'd buy near an existing plant if they are so worried

Apparently bit of cement works there since 1938

http://www.irishcement.ie/about/limerick/

The early years

Limerick Cement Works dates back to the late thirties and the first deliveries of cement from the original small single wet process kiln took place in 1938.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

So it looks like despite most of the city, local residents and politicians from across the spectrum being against the development it is going to go ahead regardless.

Democracy 0 - Big Business 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Tim76 wrote: »
    So it looks like despite most of the city, local residents and politicians from across the spectrum being against the development it is going to go ahead regardless.

I don't come down on either side in the debate, but I don't think it should be presented as you have above. We have institutions who we vest authority in and trust them to make expert and reasoned judgements on these things. Whether they did or not in this case is another story. I don't think the EPA have granted it a license yet?

zulutango wrote: »
    We have institutions who we vest authority in and trust them to make expert and reasoned judgements on these things.

I've worked with the EPA on a few occasions and expert & reasoned judgments are not something that I would associate with them.

The track record for these "trusted institutions" in this country is appalling; just look at the role of the Central Bank in the build up to the financial crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I've heard there's a meeting about this in the South Court in the next week or two, but I don't have details of when.
    Just wondering if anybody knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Tim76 wrote: »

There are many people that may say :

Common sense 1 - Headbangers 0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've heard there's a meeting about this in the South Court in the next week or two, but I don't have details of when.
    Just wondering if anybody knows?
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1817798355190343/?ti=as

Seems like it's an improvement on coal though no?

I don't come down on either side in the debate, but I don't think it should be presented as you have above. We have institutions who we vest authority in and trust them to make expert and reasoned judgements on these things. Whether they did or not in this case is another story. I don't think the EPA have granted it a license yet?
    They did a couple of days ago

Wonder how much it would cost to relocate the plant. Seems to me the issue is the presence of the plant, not the use of tyre derived fuel.

washman3 wrote: »
    There are many people that may say :

Common sense 1 - Headbangers 0

But not most people and that's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Wonder how much it would cost to relocate the plant. Seems to me the issue is the presence of the plant, not the use of tyre derived fuel.

This is not a very compelling argument.
    Its been pointed out in this thread before that the plant has been there since the 1930s.
    If people were so concerned about the plant why did they build their homes and schools near it and then start complaining. Its not as if it is difficult to miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

brownej wrote: »
    Its been pointed out in this thread before that the plant has been there since the 1930s.
    If people were so concerned about the plant why did they build their homes and schools near it and then start complaining. Its not as if it is difficult to miss.

Well, to be fair, knowledge of the harm caused by emissions is far greater now than it was in the past. So, yours also isn't a good argument. Also, when people purchased their homes they didn't expect the Cement Factory to be burning industrial waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well, to be fair, knowledge of the harm caused by emissions is far greater now than it was in the past. So, yours also isn't a good argument. Also, when people purchased their homes they didn't expect the Cement Factory to be burning industrial waste.

But they would have known buying a property in the vicinity of a massive industrial plant would have caused some issues, like when they "accidentally" leak a load of dust that covers not only Mungret but Raheen & Dooradoyle and many areas surrounding depending on what way the wind is blowing.

brownej wrote: »
    Only decent non-religious primary school I know of that's reachable for us is near it. I didn't build it, just want to send my kid to school.

The factory covered the town with dust not too long ago. They denied it and offered a free carwash to people. I understand that it was obviously them and they were fined, but it was a slap on the wrist. Compelling them to move seems like a more appropriate measure, with or without government assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

IRISH Cement has been removed from a ‘watchlist’ drawn up by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to target improvements in environmental compliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

jonski wrote: »
    IRISH Cement has been removed from a ‘watchlist’ drawn up by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to target improvements in environmental compliance

EPA are owned by big business in Ireland. EPA has no interest in the environment or the health of Irish people. EPA are in the back pocket of big business in Ireland. EPA will be found out eventuality when a good journalist takes an interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bmm wrote: »
    EPA are owned by big business in Ireland. EPA has no interest in the environment or the health of Irish people. EPA are in the back pocket of big business in Ireland. EPA will be found out eventuality when a good journalist takes an interest.

Seems like you know alot about the EPA, would you not investigate it and expose it yourself

Did somebody tell you that in the pub over the weekend..?? :D
    Because you seriously need to cop on and study the facts and workings of an institution like the EPA.

Did somebody tell you that in the pub over the weekend..?? :D
    Because you seriously need to cop on and study the facts and workings of an institution like the EPA.

You are connected to the EPA are you toss?r ?

You are connected to the EPA are you toss?r ?

No. im just living in the real world.
    Are you living in Athenry by any chance.?
    Or maybe you are a Wicklow native with an undying concern for Coillte plantations in County Galway.;)

No. im just living in the real world.
    Are you living in Athenry by any chance.?

No you are just a troll that has nothing to add to the discussion except to call posters headbangers and 'cop on' !! Why don't you find some real arguments instead of attacking other posters?

"Councillor James Collins is putting forward a motion at the monthly meeting of Limerick City & County Council on Monday 28th May.
    The motion is as followed -
    "We the Councillors of Limerick City & County Council, make a submission to the Environmental Protection Agency in relation to licence application No P0029-06 to allow CRH begin Industrial Incineraton in Limerick"
    We hope that the motion is passed by those present. Limerick Metropolitan Council and Clare Co Co have already agreed to make a submission to the EPA and if Limerick City & County Council joined forces this would prove a united front to the granting of the licence and prove that the Councillors are on our side."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How did you come to that conclusion, out of interest?

What direction would you point a good journalist in to support a claim like that?

For what it's worth, cement kilns use 'alternative' fuels such as tyres across Europe, which is all that is being proposed for Irish Cement.

But then all of the environmental agencies are probably in the pocket of 'big business'.

Probably Big Pharma because they're the evilest of them all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ireland also doesn't comply with the self sufficiency and proximity principles but that's ok...once it's not in our back yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

"Councillor James Collins is putting forward a motion at the monthly meeting of Limerick City & County Council on Monday 28th May.
    The motion is as followed -
    "We the Councillors of Limerick City & County Council, make a submission to the Environmental Protection Agency in relation to licence application No P0029-06 to allow CRH begin Industrial Incineraton in Limerick"
    We hope that the motion is passed by those present. Limerick Metropolitan Council and Clare Co Co have already agreed to make a submission to the EPA and if Limerick City & County Council joined forces this would prove a united front to the granting of the licence and prove that the Councillors are on our side."

What are the contents of the submission?
    Is the submission just "We don't like it" because if it is the EPA will just ignore it.

Is there a reasoned argument backed up with facts etc. Thats the only way the EPA can make a judgement.

Advertisement