Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maria Sharapova fails drug test

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

If It was up to me she'd be seen IN Courtown...

FYP.:pac:

Harvard posts make a change from her posting endless training photos and videos.

Looking forward to see what the outcome of the appeal will be.

Appeal is postponed until September 19th.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/36763123

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »
    Appeal is postponed until September 19th.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/36763123

Damn, I was looking forward to her return as a shock wildcard entrant in Rio and her subsequent run to gold glory :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I was reading the other day that WADA have increased the grace period for positive tests meaning that pretty much everyone who has tested positive for this particular substance this year will get off without a ban, dependent on the amount found in their samples.

Now I don't recall if it was revealed what the concentration was in Sharapova's samples but again it seems like she should have just kept her mouth shut and served the silent ITF ban. Although people judging her morals and claiming she's been a cheat all her career would have to admit she was at least honest about it.

I was reading the other day that WADA have increased the grace period for positive tests meaning that pretty much everyone who has tested positive for this particular substance this year will get off without a ban, dependent on the amount found in their samples.

Now I don't recall if it was revealed what the concentration was in Sharapova's samples but again it seems like she should have just kept her mouth shut and served the silent ITF ban. Although people judging her morals and claiming she's been a cheat all her career would have to admit she was at least honest about it.

Yep, that's the crazy thing about it. I think it's pretty obvious at this stage that Lepchenko tested positive too but played the "no comment" card, took the silent ban and now she's back playing. And given all Sharapova's previous injuries too, if she had to take three months out for another "injury" nobody would have batted an eyelid. Weird how such a savvy, intelligent woman messed up so, so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yep, that's the crazy thing about it. I think it's pretty obvious at this stage that Lepchenko tested positive too but played the "no comment" card, took the silent ban and now she's back playing. And given all Sharapova's previous injuries too, if she had to take three months out for another "injury" nobody would have batted an eyelid. Weird how such a savvy, intelligent woman messed up so, so badly.

I did think the same thing too at the time, that if Sharapova had just said nothing and played dumb, she'd be already back playing on the circuit now. But I don't think we can be certain that's the case. They don't publish the levels, or at least I haven't seen them, but there must be a fair chance she'd a very high level given she was taking the drug several times before she was tested. Plus, the Wada guy Niggli had this to say when asked if she'd be back for the summer: "For her, given her levels [of meldonium], it is not even a question.”

So it seems likely that the question of amnesty may not have applied when the concentration was taking into account.

CAS have said that their decision will be announced tomorrow at 3pm (Swiss time). They are really dragging the arse out of this!! My money's on a 1 year ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

RosyLily wrote: »
    CAS have said that their decision will be announced tomorrow at 3pm (Swiss time). They are really dragging the arse out of this!! My money's on a 1 year ban.

retroactive?

Hunchback wrote: »
    retroactive?

I'd assume so. I'm fairly sure she's already served more than anyone else who failed for the same substance.

• Advertisement

Reduced to 15 months, back in April 2017.

Claypova 2017 anyone? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

back in April 2017.
    Nice 30th birthday present :)

Ban is up on 25th April making her eligible to play Stuttgart/Istanbul. She can get WCs for the Slams. Will be interesting to see what reaction she'll receive from the crowds. Sharapova made a statement on her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sharapova/posts/10153758557782680.

Neither Maria nor WADA came out of this looking the best imo. Thank God the saga is over!*

*(until April when we'll no doubt be talking about it again!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Sponsors are flocking back now. They seem to have mistaken "reduced ban" for "found innocent." It says a lot that they dropped her unceremoniously at the start for fear of negative publicity but the chance of making some money brings them running back when the punishment has been lightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Just watching Sky news there . There is an interview with Sharapova. She is still claiming ignorance . Believes the drug has no performance enhancing effects. Everyones fault but her own team more or less.

http://www.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/10606133/maria-sharapova-itf-tried-to-make-an-example-of-me

• Advertisement

I agree with some of what she says but she's not doing herself any favours with this PR campaign. A statement yesterday would have been enough, in my opinion, and then just get the head down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I agree with some of what she says but she's not doing herself any favours with this PR campaign. A statement yesterday would have been enough, in my opinion, and then just get the head down.

I'm a bit sick of her to be honest. I don't mind her getting the ban reduced, it was a fair decision in the end, but she gives the impression that however hard it would be to face life without playing tennis, not being in the media spotlight would be worse. She's basically just a brand now so the PR is everything. I don't know if being banned rules out tv work, if not I wouldn't be surprised to see her popping up on the box during all the big tournaments.

I'm a bit sick of her to be honest. I don't mind her getting the ban reduced, it was a fair decision in the end, but she gives the impression that however hard it would be to face life without playing tennis, not being in the media spotlight would be worse. She's basically just a brand now so the PR is everything. I don't know if being banned rules out tv work, if not I wouldn't be surprised to see her popping up on the box during all the big tournaments.

Sharapova has been a brand since she won Wimbledon imo. Now she's facing/faced the biggest threat to the brand & is in damage control mode. Like the rest of posts, I'm not mad about the interview, came across as a little desperate to me. She tried to convince everyone that she's innocent.

It almost comes across as a different story from what she was pushing in March or whenever it came out. She accepted the blame and was willing to take the punishment. I do think the ITF were trying to make an example of her because it suited them to, so maybe that's why she's coming out swinging but it's not going down well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

At best she is guilty of being dopey, pardon the pun! No PED advantage and no illegal intentional use of substance for a performance enhancement.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

She has no shame. So many unanswered questions around the whole affair. The longer she denies it the longer the rumours will persist.

She has no shame. So many unanswered questions around the whole affair. The longer she denies it the longer the rumours will persist.

I think the ITF and WADA have as many questions to answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

No unanswered questions for me, she was taking meldonium for years for performance enhancing reasons, decided not to stop after it was banned because she assumed she wouldn't be tested/have a positive brushed under the carpet by the ITF, who, for some reason decided to break with their typical policy and make an example of her. A cluster**** all round which leaves the credibility of the anti doping regime in the sport in tatters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No unanswered questions for me, she was taking meldonium for years for performance enhancing reasons, decided not to stop after it was banned because she assumed she wouldn't be tested/have a positive brushed under the carpet by the ITF, who, for some reason decided to break with their typical policy and make an example of her. A cluster**** all round which leaves the credibility of the anti doping regime in the sport in tatters.

Then when she was taking it was no different than water, for example. It too can enhace your performance. She was taking it for years for wthatevet reason she liked.She was entitled to. As were many others. With all theses TUE issues now it proves that the 'PEDs' ban in sports is a nonsense. This Sharapova case is just another nonsense surrounding PEDs in sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The whole drugs is an evolving and will continue to evolve situation.
    Drugs which were allowed may not be allowed any longer.
    A new list issued and all athletes get that and must adhere to it.
    That's not very complicated. All athletes must be very careful taking anything.
    They know that.
    TUE's have a specific role and by adhering to the protocols athletes can use medications for their good health in a controlled way.

Advertisement