Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ornamental Grasses Plugs for Sale

Options
  • 07-03-2016 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I am looking for somewhere that supply plug plants for a non-trade customer. I am planning on planting a large area with swathes of different shades of ornamental grasses (blacks,green,gold,reds etc). However the costs of such planting is huge. Any sellers of plant plugs I can find online are trade only.

Anyone know of any nurseries that can help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    I am looking for somewhere that supply plug plants for a non-trade customer. I am planning on planting a large area with swathes of different shades of ornamental grasses (blacks,green,gold,reds etc). However the costs of such planting is huge. Any sellers of plant plugs I can find online are trade only.

Anyone know of any nurseries that can help me out?

you could try growing your own from seed.
    Very very easy to do and much cheaper

http://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=grasses+seeds&source=msn

all garden centres and homebase\woodies will have them
    plus you can get a different mixes like wild meadow mix
    even the 2 euro shops

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Thanks SgtPepper but I have been germinating seeds all winter but the process is slow and the germination erratic.For instance I have some Blue Fescue grass which I planted in September and will only be ready to be potted up in the next few weeks. I would love to plant this area this year but to germinate the required amount would take at least 12 months.

Spring is coming and time waits for no gardener:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Thanks SgtPepper but I have been germinating seeds all winter but the process is slow and the germination erratic.For instance I have some Blue Fescue grass which I planted in September and will only be ready to be potted up in the next few weeks. I would love to plant this area this year but to germinate the required amount would take at least 12 months.

Spring is coming and time waits for no gardener:)

well you could sow annuals, they will flower from this May onwards if sown now, otherwise its finding someone in the uk to deliver or scouring the internet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/6189598/Poppies-and-cornflowers-were-a-wild-success-in-my-meadow.html

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/wildflower-fragrant-mixture/
    http://www.mrmiddleton.com/irish-wildflowers-meadow-and-garden-mixture/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Another option would be to buy a number of plants and divide them; grasses mostly divide and establish very easily, if you know what you're doing.
    I did something similar with Ophiopogons (the 'black' grass) and now I've loads of them left over which I sell. I do it with bamboos too and they're expensive to buy...and sell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Another option would be to buy a number of plants and divide them; grasses mostly divide and establish very easily, if you know what you're doing.
    I did something similar with Ophiopogons (the 'black' grass) and now I've loads of them left over which I sell. I do it with bamboos too and they're expensive to buy...and sell :)

Oh I am stealing plants and dividing from all family and friends all over the place:) .I just need a huge amount to plant up a large area. I had this dream of swathes of different shades of grasses but when I went to look at the amount of plants I needed, reality bites!! However I am going to carry on. It will be my one big project for this summer

• Advertisement
Advertisement