Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderbird Mail not sending using

Options
  • 07-03-2016 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

So here's the story. I have an email from eircom and I use thunderbird as my email client, recently I've changed my ISP to Ruralwifi.
    Since changing, I am able to receive mails from thunderbird but not sent any. I have checked the outgoing SMTP, even tried the eircom settings (mail1.eircom.net) and the settings for ruralwifi which is using 3 network(mail-relay.3ireland.ie) but nothing seems to be working.
    Anybody here can shed some light.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The fact that the name includes "relay" is probably the problem. I suggest contacting the ISP and asking them. POP for receiving is fine across ISPs - it's sending that's the problem. You definitely won't be able to use the eircom smtp settings - but should be able to use you're own ISPs smtp server. I imagine it's a restriction they have placed on it and should be able to remove if you call them.

On a side note I haven't used Thunderbird in years but it's a class app.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Relay is the normal SMTP server for three Orion.

Rural wifi should be operating their own SMTP server, contact them for the details.

ED E wrote: »
    Relay is the normal SMTP server for three Orion.

Rural wifi should be operating their own SMTP server, contact them for the details.

Didn't realise that about Three. But you're absolutely right - the ISP should have it's own server.

OP: When you send a mail do you get an error along the lines of "relay not allowed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zeromemory

Orion wrote: »
    Didn't realise that about Three. But you're absolutely right - the ISP should have it's own server.

OP: When you send a mail do you get an error along the lines of "relay not allowed"?

Here is the error that comes up.

Sending of message failed.
    The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server mail-relay.3ireland.ie timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.

The three smtp server is rejecting your connection. Contact your ISP and get the address of their SMTP server. Or try usual combinations: smtp.ruralwifi.ie, mail.ruralwifi.ie

• Advertisement

"Rural Wifi.ie is a groundbreaking new Wi-Fi solution brought to you by Fleetconnect," - eek. I hope the service is better than the crap on the trains.

Try this smtp server: smtp.got.icomera.com

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Orion wrote: »
    "Rural Wifi.ie is a groundbreaking new Wi-Fi solution brought to you by Fleetconnect," - eek. I hope the service is better than the crap on the trains.

Try this smtp server: smtp.got.icomera.com

The trains are actually on a decent link, its just not nearly enough for their size. This is actually just Three, not the multinetwork aggregation that fleetconnect uses.

But if they're providing it it may need to use their smtp server.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zeromemory

Finally got it sorted guys. Never noticed that Thunderbird forces the SMTP port to Default 587. So made a new account with Port 25 as default and everything was cool as a breeze now. :) Happy days.. Thanks for all your inputs.

Advertisement