Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just my GPU thats the prob?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

So mu current system is
    i7-870
    MB P55A-UD3
    16GB DDR3
    GPU: HD5770
    SSD harddrive
    Win10

Got my myself Just Cause 3 and it just barely runs on lowest settings, FPS is 15-20 max. Drops to ~5 on big/fast scene changes.
    Updated graphics drivers and even overclocked it through catalyst control center and got a small improvement.

Just wondering, if I upgrade my GPU to something decent, would I be able to get manage higher settings or are the CPU and MB not up to the job?

Also, I'm probably going to look at getting the new Clancy Division game if my system is up to it.
    Do I need full overhaul or should a GPU upgrade sort me out?

Appreciate any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Your CPU is ancient, and probably holding you back. I'd try overclocking it a good hack and seeing if that helps out at all, but its likely going to require a full overhaul on your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Graphics card is a massive bottleneck - CPU is also old but still pretty OK for most games and you can OC it as well once you sort out a new card. You would see a massive difference with a new card, what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Petroglyph

Thanks for the replies

I've no experience clocking CPUs, so I'll look that up and have a go.

If I was only going to upgrade the graphics, I could go 250-300ish maybe.

Even without overclocking the CPU should hold up OK, but you'd be as well to squeeze at least a few hundred mhz out of it. What CPU cooler do you have?

Card wise, look at an R9 380 2GB at around 200 probably, anything faster would ask for a faster CPU really in most scenarios. Good card and will run at latest games at high settings pretty well

Your next step would be a full overhaul but for now just a card will get you through.

Even without overclocking the CPU should hold up OK, but you'd be as well to squeeze at least a few hundred mhz out of it. What CPU cooler do you have?

Card wise, look at an R9 380 2GB at around 200 probably, anything faster would ask for a faster CPU really in most scenarios. Good card and will run at latest games at high settings pretty well

Your next step would be a full overhaul but for now just a card will get you through.

Thanks for the card suggestion - if that gets me playing JC3 (and maybe Division) on close to max settings, I'll be happy for a while.

Attached is a pic of the cooler - should that card fit ok?

• Advertisement

It depends on the model of card, but just make sure there's enough room in the case for the length of it. And have a look at an overclock especially considering you have a decent looking cooler. Even taking it to say 3.3Ghz would be a help and work better with the 380.

Could also look at the faster 380X which is a bit more expensive, next cards up though are outside your budget - GTX970 and R9 390 - and would need a slightly faster CPU to fully stretch their legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The card should not go above the slot, so you should be grand. If you don't mind noise keep an eye out for an R9 290 second hand for under 200. A very, very good card for the money.

Thing is though, is that cooler not in the wrong orientation by 90 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

What ever your 5770 model is get its dimensions give you a rough idea. Same with case see how much give is in it.

Think the MSI brand cards are small enough.

This is my CPU-Z.

I have no idea how, but looks like I may have clocked this already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's the normal turbo boost speed for that processor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

First of all you need to change your CPU cooling fan to have the point facing the FRONT of the case. This is so the fan pulls in fresh intake air, and expels it out towards the back.
    You have the cooler pulling air from the baseplate of the card (which heats up) and pushes it up. For overclocking (a scenario where temps rise) you need to remedy this first.
    I don't know the ins and outs of ocing older cpus before Haswell, although I imagine there are some good amount of posts online to guide you.
    Secondly, Just Cause 3 and Divison are intensive games, so whilst the 380 will net around 35-43 FPS on Ultra, I recommend turning down ALL nVidia effects (damn Gameworks) and maybe AA to x8 instead of x16.
    Best of luck!

One last question - is it worth the extra few quid for the 4gb over the 2gb? Would it make a difference on my current system?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Petroglyph wrote: »
    One last question - is it worth the extra few quid for the 4gb over the 2gb? Would it make a difference on my current system?

See here:

Petroglyph wrote: »

Well if it's only a few quid yes. Even with your current system.

ED E wrote: »
    See here:

Very interesting! - Thanks!

I also read this

http://www.techsite.io/p/218422

There's only 4euro in the difference on dabs - 214euro (sapphire 2gb ) vs 218euro (asus 4gb). The MSi 4gb is at 246. Decisions decisions!

Mine would be

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01851LVS0/?tag=amorezon0f-21#

Just sayin.. The MSi one for 246 on dabs is the 380. Zats a " 380x " with backplate. Unless I found z wrong one on dabs. Either way amazon.

Back to your decisions.

New card in! 50-60fps on JC3 and BF4 is at 100, both on high settings. Happy days. Thanks for the tips.

Excellent! :)

Advertisement