Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the story with the roads in Greystones?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I moved out of the Greystones area recently so don't go into the village as much as I used to. I had reason to drive through Greystones (Windgates to harbour then out by Delgany). Most of the roads are in bits and need to be resurfaced. I could have swore this was done quite recently though, for a large percentage of them.
    Is there wear and tear so bad that they should need done again?
    The junction of Chapel road and Blacklion is particularly banjaxed. People swerving all over the place to avoid the massive pot holes in the middle of the road. It's really dangerous.
    I know the weather has taken it's toll recently on all Irish roads but it just seems far worse of a problem in Greystones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

The condition of this road (Blacklion to harbour) and many others around Greystones are an absolute disgrace. Victoria Road, from the Topaz filling station to the railway bridge was closed for resurfacing a few weeks ago. The finished work is awful and is no credit to the company that carried out the work. Council engineers should be ashamed of themselves to allow such work to be acceptable. Excuses that funds are not available do not stack up. Greystones deserves and should be provided with decent road surfaces. Footpaths are another subject that are in dire need of attention. If anyone suffers an accident as a result of poor quality roadways and footpaths, the council could find itself subject to major compensation claims.
    I would ask all concerned people to keep highlighting these issues with local area representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the work on Victoria Rd was to repair a water main, it wasn't designed to repair the road.

There are plans for Rathdown and Victoria roads as part of the cycling/pedestrian scheme (I think there's a mini roundabout going in at the Centra) but I suspect the council are waiting for the harbour works to be substantially complete as they are generating so many truck movements. They'll have to do some remedial work in the meantime though, it's particularly bad at Blacklion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

d31b0y wrote: »
    I moved out of the Greystones area recently so don't go into the village as much as I used to. I had reason to drive through Greystones (Windgates to harbour then out by Delgany). Most of the roads are in bits and need to be resurfaced. I could have swore this was done quite recently though, for a large percentage of them.
    Is there wear and tear so bad that they should need done again?
    The junction of Chapel road and Blacklion is particularly banjaxed. People swerving all over the place to avoid the massive pot holes in the middle of the road. It's really dangerous.
    I know the weather has taken it's toll recently on all Irish roads but it just seems far worse of a problem in Greystones.

the roads are in a poor state alright, if you ever drive down the vevay road in bray you'll think we have it good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

At least they have redone most of the speed bumps (ironically not needed! - they are now the smoothest sections of road)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I agree. A disgrace. Killincarrig to Delgany is also in an awful state.

The roads are indeed very very busy, not helped by the stroke of genius that was building the new schools at the opposite end of the town to where most of the young families live.

Perhaps they'll let the roads become so neglected that they'll have no choice but to enter in to an agreement with a private operator to repair them and in turn allow them to toll them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

This is not unique to Co. Wicklow. The Winter weather has destroyed roads all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

At a guess the council will hold off on road repairs until most of the heavy work has been completed down at the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

DK32 wrote: »
    At a guess the council will hold off on road repairs until most of the heavy work has been completed down at the harbour.

What? There's building of houses there starting next year?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

What? There's building of houses there starting next year?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98989219&postcount=2948

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

You must have missed all the large trucks going to and from the harbour fully loaded with heavy landfill materials etc... these all take their toll on the roads and considering how long the works have been taking place at the harbour and will continue to do so into 2017 it is bound to continue to have an impact. I'd say they will hold off on major road repairs until the developers let the council know they are finished with all the ground works. For the moment we might just see a few patch jobs where they are really bad.

And?

Perhaps you need to rephrase your original question

legrand wrote: »
    Perhaps you need to rephrase your original question

I don't get your point and how it relates to my point.

Terry Pratchet

the question appears to ask when the houses will be built - the link shows pictures of houses currently under construction. i just clicked link it does not appear to be working correctly (you can goto the News and views of harbour thread where Picsbyjohn can be found)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Link above is for the mobile page.

Link for normal browser: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98989219&postcount=2948

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

DK32 wrote: »
    You must have missed all the large trucks going to and from the harbour fully loaded with heavy landfill materials etc... these all take their toll on the roads and considering how long the works have been taking place at the harbour and will continue to do so into 2017 it is bound to continue to have an impact. I'd say they will hold off on major road repairs until the developers let the council know they are finished with all the ground works. For the moment we might just see a few patch jobs where they are really bad.
    Whilst your explanation is correct, surely when a project runs over to this extent, the developer has a penalty clause to recover the roads?

Given the volume of trucks that travel on that road, combined with the normal traffic, I am terrified that a car will impact one of the significant potholes and lose control.

The fact that it is a road that many school kids, cyclists, runners and pedestrians (many with buggies) use this route, the council engineers responsible should be extremely proud of their incompetent oversight:mad:

I am thrilled that eventually someone else has brought up this subject. I have continued to contact the municipal offices and indeed this morning have informed them that my complaints will be on record.

There has been very little work on ANY of the roads around Greystones and towards Delgany village. A number of large housing developments have commenced and it seems perfectly acceptable for them to dig up and patchwork the road (eg approach to Killincarrig roundabout) or indeed thoroughly destroy the surface (all approaches to the harbour including Blacklion crossroads and the road outside St David's NS)

I have contacted the Senior Executive Mr Ruairi O Hanlon and he comes across as being highly aloof and arrogant in his response to my complaints. Indeed, despite being in his offices this morning, he refused to accept my calls.

Simon Harris also promised black and blue at the last election to address the situation but these were empty promises.

I am flabbergasted that local businesses around the harbour have allowed this situation worsen but more importantly from a safety oversight and due care viewpoint, it is obvious that Wicklow County Council are not addressing the issue.

It is a clearly unacceptable situation.. I have replaced 2 sets of bike tyres due to blow outs on hitting potholes as well as 2 separate car tyres for the same reason.

Percentage chance has it that t is only a matter of time before a serious accident will be attributed to the state of our local roads.

I would urge you to voice your concerns to the municipal office. Let your local representatives know that they have a responsibility towards the users of these roads.

ckeego wrote: »

I have contacted the Senior Executive Mr Ruairi O Hanlon and he comes across as being highly aloof and arrogant in his response to my complaints. Indeed, despite being in his offices this morning, he refused to accept my calls.

Firstly fair play to you for making direct contact with Wicklow CoCo. Boards is a great place to vent and garner comments from community but often it takes a critical mass to register with officialdom (think the McDonalds no-fry zone campaign).

Was your communication with Mr O'Hanlon verbal or written? If the former what comments did he make? I'm guessing some sort of platitudes but would be interested to hear.

They take them in when the weather is bad.

legrand wrote: »
    Firstly fair play to you for making direct contact with Wicklow CoCo. Boards is a great place to vent and garner comments from community but often it takes a critical mass to register with officialdom (think the McDonalds no-fry zone campaign).

Was your communication with Mr O'Hanlon verbal or written? If the former what comments did he make? I'm guessing some sort of platitudes but would be interested to hear.
    I wholly agree..No point in venting unless there is a concerted effort to get something done..

My initial approach to Mr. O'Hanlon was verbal but believe me, it was far from just platitudes-I found him quite aggressive with his defence of the road surfaces and argumentative when I raised the chance of damage, injury or worse resulting from the poor condition of certain roads (and they have become significantly worse with the harbour development and the poor weather of late)

He claimed that there was no money for the most basic repairs and that the Killincarrig to Barry's bridge route through Delgany village had been delayed (despite the waste of money that s the raised roundabout there)

I argued that the footpath was also badly damaged and that say a wheel chair user would find it hard to navigate that section-this he pooh poohed that there "simply would not be someone in a wheelchair on that path"....Unbelievable attitude is an understatement.

I plan to write to his office and to copy the response..It is my humble opinion that until there is a concerted community effort to put some pressure on this guy and his department that there will continue to be little or nothing done-he is in an ivory palace and completely aloof.

It was interesting though in yesterday's contact that his receptionist refused to put me through to him. At that point I pointed out that if there was an accident that it was now on record that I had brought the problem to his attention-within 5 minutes my call was returned. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to talk to him at that point..

I will keep you posted on his response, but in the meantime, could I urge you all here (and pass the word to your family, friends and colleagues) to contact the municipal office before an accident arises from the disrepair of the roads and the fact that your taxes are not being put to proper use to ensure all users' safety.

Does anyone here know what responsibility a developer has to return the road condition to it's former state following any excavations or alterations they make to the road?

• Advertisement

ckeego wrote: »
    Does anyone here know what responsibility a developer has to return the road condition to it's former state following any excavations or alterations they make to the road?

If you are (e.g.) Eircom or Irish Water and you want to dig up a road, you need a license and the council will inspect the reinstatement work afterwards. Councils often use this as an opportunity to get sections of road resurfaced for free.

If you are a developer and you've damaged the road incidentally to your main work (through truck movements etc) it would depend on whether there was anything in the planning permission - in the case of the harbour Wicklow Co.Co. is a co-developer so they should probably fix their own roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Would people please consider emailing the following about the state of Rathdown Road:

lmcdonald@wicklowcoco.ie (Road Safety Officer)
    roadtrans@wicklowcoco.ie (General enquiries)
    reports@fixyourstreet.ie (Wicklow CoCo seem to subscribe to this service)

The more people who complain the better - the least they can do is throw some tarmac in the potholes..

homer911 wrote: »
    Would people please consider emailing the following about the state of Rathdown Road:

lmcdonald@wicklowcoco.ie (Road Safety Officer)
    roadtrans@wicklowcoco.ie (General enquiries)
    reports@fixyourstreet.ie (Wicklow CoCo seem to subscribe to this service)

The more people who complain the better - the least they can do is throw some tarmac in the potholes..

I've emailed the roadtrans address in the past with mixed results, last couple of times they haven't replied. I also emailed Derek Mitchell about this via his website, he also didn't reply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Rathdown & Victoria Road to be renamed "The Burma Road" didn't realise actually how bad they where till i drove on them recently. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Rathdown & Victoria Road to be renamed "The Burma Road" didn't realise actually how bad they where till i drove on them recently. :eek:

Blackloin is in a terrible state too.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

We have two locally elected TDs. Can they not help?

Isn't it said all politics is local.

FirstIn wrote: »
    We have two locally elected TDs. Can they not help?

Isn't it said all politics is local.

Have you asked them?

Terry Pratchet

Have you asked them?

It's the councillors job, I personally don't want to see TDs wasting their time sorting out individual local issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Plenty of stop/go activity today up at the old Esso (soon to be Topaz) and down to Roche's pharmacy. I wonder if they'll fix a bit while they're at it. Schools back on Monday!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

They've just sprayed Tarmac into the potholes and thrown some fine chippings at them... I suppose the edges won't be as sharp now..:rolleyes:

Advertisement