Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharapova Acute angina!

• 08-03-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I knew she had to be on something to look that fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Car99 wrote: »
    I knew she had to be on something to look that fit.

A cute what?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A cute what?!

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

PICs or GTFO!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For those of you wonder WTF? she was done for a banned substance a couple of days ago. Link here. . Pro athlete in drug use shocker. Not. It's just safe to assume they're all rattling like pill boxes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"I want the athletes to take drugs. I mean, do you want to see someone shave a hundredth of a second off the 100m record, or do you want to see them run it in 3 seconds? I don’t want to see Dwaine Chambers running on steroids; I want to see him running with the legs of a kangaroo and the heart of a leopard. I want to see him run so fast that half-way through the race, he disappears, like the car from Back to the Future, reappears at the finish line as an old man, shouts “BEWARE CHINA”, and crumbles into f*cking dust"

Frankie Boyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

She was using it for years, probably because it was permitted to be used and helped her performance.

They only banned it in January and she failed the test in January also. You would think that these athletes would have someone keeping a close eye on the banned substance list, esp the newly added ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The only thing that bothers me about it is that she tries to claim it has been prescribed by a doctor for a medical condition... A drug that treats angina and heart attacks being used by a top athlete which also happens to improve ones performance. I mean, I don't care about her taking it really but who does she think she's trying to fool here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What about Williams?The muscles on that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Car99 wrote: »
    Acute angina! .

Pics or gtfo. Was beaten to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The only thing that bothers me about it is that she tries to claim it has been prescribed by a doctor for a medical condition... A drug that treats angina and heart attacks being used by a top athlete which also happens to improve ones performance. I mean, I don't care about her taking it really but who does she think she's trying to fool here....

This is more common than you think. TUE is therapeutic use exemptions. An athlete was on the radio talking about TUE's, he said some guys have more than 15 TUEs and if TUEs are anything to go by, pretty much every athlete "has asthma"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Plausible deniability

Can the anti-doping crowd demand that she undergo tests to prove that she has angina? I wouldn't have thought so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I diagnosed this years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I'm sure she has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, major sponsors - Nike, Tag Heuer, Porsche - are dropping her like the proverbial hot potato. Not that Ms. Sharapova needs any more money, she's set for life and can do whatever she wants. I wonder what "Sugarpova", her sweets company, is worth now? I see coaching and/or commentating in her future.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bnt wrote: »
    Well, major sponsors - Nike, Tag Heuer, Porsche - are dropping her like the proverbial hot potato.
    Hypocritical **** for the most part. These eejits know full well that it's more than evian in the water bottles of pro athletes and are happy to milk them for all they're worth. At least these days the pros get so much money they can walk away happy. Though that big money pretty much guarantees doping and cheating. Pro cycling takes the biscuit(and all the drugs) though, any sponsor who claims they didn't know that the cyclists made Iggy Pop at his peak look clean are at best economical with the truth and they still are. I simply don't believe there is a pro cyclist today that's in the top 20 that isn't juicing. They just got better at it and are ahead of the curve and tests(like the drug yer wan was caught taking. Heart condition my furry hoop). Hell one was recently snared at a world championship with an effin electric motor in their bike frame. Track and field is also well dubious and sports like rugby look more than a tad sniffy too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Rugby....."powers of recovery" me bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hypocritical **** for the most part.

What could possibly be hypocritical about Nike taking the moral high ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pat Kenny has landed in hot water for comments he made on Maria Sharapova.

The tennis superstar announced in a statement today that she has been suspended after using the drug meldonium, a substance recently banned that she has been taking for health reasons since 2006.
    The radio host has taken flack for commenting that several of his listeners would like to “make babies” with Maria.

Poor Pat, he only said what his listeners and most males were thinking.

This auld equality in no fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Good to see that Pat has learned from his Dawn French episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was it him that referred to Dana International, winner of the 98' Eurovision who is transexual as "it"? :pac:

• Advertisement

Humourless oul biddies being humourless shock. Though apparently it's empowering to flick the bean to some posh totty bloke taking off his shirt on the latest BBC costume drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hypocritical **** for the most part.

The trick is, just don't get caught :p

You're right.

And d'you know what? so's Trump. He's only saying what all of us white men are thinking. F*cking Irish immigrants, they need to go back to their own country.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've merged the Sharapova threadz.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Nike taking the moral high ground?
    Words that don't make comfortable bedfellows, but worth a snigger mind you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Acute Angina and Anita Pairoftits! :pac:

Humourless oul biddies being humourless shock. Though apparently it's empowering to flick the bean to some posh totty bloke taking off his shirt on the latest BBC costume drama.

You don't have to be humourless to think it's a bit much insulting Dawn French, calling a transexual 'it' or making awkward 'jokes' about a much, much younger woman in the news.

You just have to have some sense of what's appropriate, something Pat the Plank lacks on occasion.

But yeah, dem feministers.

To be fair to her, I think she's handling it well considering the effect this will have on her career, in the short term anyway. Long term, if she gives off the right amount of contrition and her fan base remains high the same, or other companies will likely be back, because dollars.

Candie wrote: »
    You don't have to be humourless to think it's a bit much insulting Dawn French, calling a transexual 'it' or making awkward 'jokes' about a much, much younger woman in the news.
    You kinda do TBH. Did he say he wanted to "make babies" with her?

• Advertisement

''A lot of our listeners willing to help Maria Sharapova make babies while she's banned.''

No need to give airtime to that. I thought that day was gone, obviously not.

As for humour, it's not exactly funny, is it?

Meh, the media, paid and social is full of women of all ages gushing when some himbo rips off his top in [insert BBC costume drama here]. Yer man Tom thingie on that John Le Carre spy series the latest. Big deal. It is what it is. It's crass and sometimes a bit sad when it's some old biddy the female equivalent of Pat doing it, but inappropriate only to the Maude Flanders types and offensive to the overly sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's funny is the feminists getting their crustys in a twist about a man wanting to make babies with a good looking woman.
    He should have went the whole hog and said he'd spank it.

Nodin wrote: »
    Rugby....."powers of recovery" me bollocks.
    Aye, no pointing fingers or anything, but one look at the average player in any international team of today and players from international teams of the past and things that make you go hmmmm, springs readily. TBH I could give the big one when it's adults at it, my concern are the young kids who look up to these people who get into the various sports seeking to emulate them. That's the worry. A year back I was talking with this woman whose son was rugby mad and she found out he was chugging protein drinks and creatine to bulk up. He was 12.

Maude Flanders! A name I've always coveted.

I'm just going to head off to Jesus camp, so I can learn to be more judgemental.

I'm just going to head off to Jesus camp, so I can learn to be more judgemental.
    Not sure if atomic powered irony…

As I said it was crass, a bit silly, hardly grounds for flipping out. I've no idea what he said about Dawn French, but the I'd see the Eurovision dig as being inappropriate alright. It was directly insulting.

• Advertisement

Not sure if atomic powered irony…

As I said it was crass, a bit silly, hardly grounds for flipping out. I've no idea what he said about Dawn French, but the I'd see the Eurovision dig as being inappropriate alright. It was directly insulting.

I looked up the Dawn French episode. At a major fashion show there were loads of models and one was famous for saying she wouldn't get out of bed for less than 10 grand. Dawn French was on the stage to introduce something and Pat the Plonker told her he'd pay her 10 grand to stay in bed.

On tv, and in front of a huge live audience.

So Pat has form that gives glimpses of a very unappealing person under the broadcaster persona, and every time the mask slips with people like him they become a little less tolerable.

I looked up the Dawn French episode. At a major fashion show there were loads of models and one was famous for saying she wouldn't get out of bed for less than 10 grand. Dawn French was on the stage to introduce something and Pat the Plonker told her he'd pay her 10 grand to stay in bed.

On tv, and in front of a huge live audience.

So Pat has form that gives glimpses of a very unappealing person under the broadcaster persona, and every time the mask slips with people like him they become a little less tolerable.

You're not allowed dislike things unless it's on the lads' pre approved list, yknow?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pat Kenny is alright, no one is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

don't let kenny distract from the drug cheat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

bluewolf wrote: »
    You're not allowed dislike things unless it's on the lads' pre approved list, yknow?

it's awful isn't it when you say something on a public message board

and then, can you believe it, someone challenges you on it?

I can't believe this sort of thing is tolerated.

• Advertisement

strelok wrote: »
    it's awful isn't it when you say something on a public message board

and then, can you believe it, someone challenges you on it?

I can't believe this sort of thing is tolerated.

I know, humourless maude flanders oversensitive types, us all

On a more serious note, how long was there between her drug being on the banned list and the test?
    Seems unfortunate timing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bluewolf wrote: »

On a more serious note, how long was there between her drug being on the banned list and the test?
    Seems unfortunate timing there

17 /18 days apparently she played the first round of the Australian open on the 18/1 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Is there some sort of bookmark or post saving feature? This made my day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One report I saw implies that sponsors are now super-sensitive about anything that could possibly affect their brand, having been burned standing by the likes of Lance Armstrong.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

He didn't. He was only repeating some "phnar, making babies, phnar" texts he got in after he uttered his first Pat "Did you really just say that?" Kenny gem. I was listening, and just sighed.

He said something approximating "So she'll get a two year ban and can go off and have a baby, or even two, and then come back". Because maybe the career was holding her back from popping out a few sprogs...? :rolleyes:
    Then he got a series of "Phnar, I'll help her out" texts from all the fellas who were hanging in there waiting for Pat to mess up and say acute vagina. That's all that happened, no need to lose your sh1t over it Wibbs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems alot of Russian athletes are known to be using this medicine very long term.

Think this may not be so accidental

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Aye, no pointing fingers or anything, but one look at the average player in any international team of today and players from international teams of the past and things that make you go hmmmm, springs readily. TBH I could give the big one when it's adults at it, my concern are the young kids who look up to these people who get into the various sports seeking to emulate them. That's the worry. A year back I was talking with this woman whose son was rugby mad and she found out he was chugging protein drinks and creatine to bulk up. He was 12.

When the inevitable mass expose occurs I hope it doesn't cause lasting damage to the game. Things like Pro Cycling in my eyes are forever tarnished.

However other sports like Baseball in the US seemed to get through their scandals without the game suffering long term credibility damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pat Kenny has acute angina?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

When the inevitable mass expose occurs I hope it doesn't cause lasting damage to the game. Things like Pro Cycling in my eyes are forever tarnished.

However other sports like Baseball in the US seemed to get through their scandals without the game suffering long term credibility damage.

Fat lads in pyjamas waddling around for statisticians to **** over. Has it ever had credibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Christ, I keep watching her press conference over and over again. Those doe eyes on her apologising. Pedal time

• Advertisement
Advertisement