Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you walk with an Ireland shirt in the city?

• 08-03-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I wonder, are people in NI still "part" of Ireland or do they hate Ireland?
    I'm not talking about a GAA shirt, but just like a simple Ireland with only Ireland on it tshirt, or Dublin or so.

Just in case :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I hope so, I've been wandering around East Belfast for years wearing connacht and ireland jerseys! ;)

Aye, you'll not have a bother unless you wear it going up the Shankhill on the 12th or something daft like that! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

People wear them all the time. You'll find that generally most Catholics wear Ireland shirts rather than Northern Ireland ones.

Just don't go into some dive of a loyalist kip wearing one and you'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

People wear them all the time. You'll find that generally most Catholics wear Ireland shirts rather than Northern Ireland ones.

Oh no, my girlfriend she has a pink dublin shirt and loves it so thats why I was wondering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Treadhead wrote: »
    I hope so, I've been wandering around East Belfast for years wearing connacht and ireland jerseys! ;)

Aye, you'll not have a bother unless you wear it going up the Shankhill on the 12th or something daft like that! ;)

I'm Dublin born and raised with an accent to match. I'm a regular visitor to Belfast and have family there (south Belfast). Nonetheless I wouldn't dream of taking a chance like that. Treadhead, you obviously live there, know the area and the people but surely advising a tourist that they can wear a Dublin jersey casually - even outside the obvious loyalist ghettos - is a bit risky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

You'll be fine, unless you are planning on walking through a Loyalist estate. A pink Dublin jersey won't be that conspicuous in any case.

• Advertisement

Everlong1 wrote: »
    I'm Dublin born and raised with an accent to match. I'm a regular visitor to Belfast and have family there (south Belfast). Nonetheless I wouldn't dream of taking a chance like that. Treadhead, you obviously live there, know the area and the people but surely advising a tourist that they can wear a Dublin jersey casually - even outside the obvious loyalist ghettos - is a bit risky?

People wear GAA gear all over Belfast all the time, and not just in republican ghettoes either. It's really not a big deal. While I wouldn't advise waving tricolours around loyalist estates, I'll be happy enough to say that a pink Dublin jersey wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eyelid pretty much anywhere.

People up here don't hate people from the Republic, generally much the opposite. An Irish accent is far more likely to lead to a chat than abuse. Even the intransigent diehards are too busy hating their immediate neighbours to care about anyone from further afield unless they're being deliberately provocative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

People wear GAA gear all over Belfast all the time, and not just in republican ghettoes either. It's really not a big deal. While I wouldn't advise waving tricolours around loyalist estates, I'll be happy enough to say that a pink Dublin jersey wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eyelid pretty much anywhere.

People up here don't hate people from the Republic, generally much the opposite. An Irish accent is far more likely to lead to a chat than abuse. Even the intransigent diehards are too busy hating their immediate neighbours to care about anyone from further afield unless they're being deliberately provocative.

Thanks, we both don't have an really English or Irish accent since we are both from the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Adamzapple777

I wear my Ireland Rugby and NI football jerseys all the time and have done for the last forty years and no one ever said anything even in the height of the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TommyRiordan

Unless you count the short strand as east belfast, I don't believe a single word of this (lived there for a year, go to house parties all the time around there)

Unless you count the short strand as east belfast, I don't believe a single word of this (lived there for a year, go to house parties all the time around there)

meh, believe or dont believe, no skin off my nose. I've been here a lot longer than that and no, not in the Short Strand....

• Advertisement
Advertisement