Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local GAA club membership costs

Options
  • 08-03-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

One of my kids is looking to start under 8 GAA soon with Castleknock and I was just told it would be 192 for her for the year as school kids pay the same as adults (only 3rd level students get a discount). Pretty shocked to be honest as they have no clubhouse of facilities.

I know Plunketts are 130 for the year and students in Bridget's seem to be 150 for all students but both of these clubs have great facilities available. Clubs outside Dublin seem to be about 50 to 100 per year if they have a clubhouse and gym. St Peregrines is about 40 per child.

Just wondering if anyone who is already a member of Castleknock knows how they justify the price and also do they know of any club that is more expensive in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If there is no facilities why not go to Bridgets or Plunketts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

listermint wrote: »
    If there is no facilities why not go to Bridgets or Plunketts ?

Great facilities in Peregrines also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

I would like to support the local club if possible and also the kids friends play mostly in Castleknock. I have no problem giving time and effort to help the club to progress and build the community but if my kids get really into GAA I don't fancy having to pay almost 400 for family membership in a few years and then having to pay separately for training facilities elsewhere due to the lack of facilities.

AlanG wrote: »
    I would like to support the local club if possible and also the kids friends play mostly in Castleknock. I have no problem giving time and effort to help the club to progress and build the community but if my kids get really into GAA I don't fancy having to pay almost 400 for family membership in a few years and then having to pay separately for training facilities elsewhere due to the lack of facilities.

I know that Castleknock have great plans for state of the art facilities and based on their pitch development, they will have those facilities sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Many clubs have stated fees but many hidden fees, in all codes of sport.

I would not take the fees at face value - ask some questions.

For example, one soccer club in D15 charges €210 start of season fee but doesn't mention that they charge a winter weekly training fee on top and also do not mention the club gear fee which they make a % on also.

Many clubs have different ways to extract monies from members.

• Advertisement

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I know that Castleknock have great plans for state of the art facilities and based on their pitch development, they will have those facilities sooner than later.

I understand that they have great plans but building work hasn't moved along in many years. I asked about well over a year ago and was told building would be restarting last summer. It never happened and no one I asked knew anything for sure.
    Does anyone here have reliable information on the restart of the clubhouse build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

For example, one soccer club in D15 charges €210 start of season fee but doesn't mention that they charge a winter weekly training fee on top and also do not mention the club gear fee which they make a % on also.
    IIRC I paid €220 for Castleknock Celtic. My neices in Kerry pay about 1/4 that. Castleknock Celtic, and presumably Castleknock GAA, are using the extra income to pay for facilities (Celtic's built already and GAA's being built in the future).

daymobrew wrote: »
    IIRC I paid €220 for Castleknock Celtic. My neices in Kerry pay about 1/4 that. Castleknock Celtic, and presumably Castleknock GAA, are using the extra income to pay for facilities (Celtic's built already and GAA's being built in the future).

They are both two fine, large clubs.

€220 is reasonable as that covers everything. other clubs have unpublished charges on top of their annual fees.

I understand that they have great plans but building work hasn't moved along in many years. I asked about well over a year ago and was told building would be restarting last summer. It never happened and no one I asked knew anything for sure.
    Does anyone here have reliable information on the restart of the clubhouse build.

Just to say, I have no direct connections with Castleknock GAA, however I feel that you are not looking at the overall picture. I am aware that the club has invested heavily into their playing pitches, which are among of the very best in Dublin. To achieve this standard of pitch did not come cheaply, the initial investment along with the annual maintenance is considerable.

The prioritizing of club facilities is a chicken and egg situation. You can have the most up to date brick and mortar facilities first and terrible pitches. Or state of the art pitches and adequate changing facilities to tide the club over in short to medium term. this is a conundrum faced by all clubs.

You mention both St Oliver Plunkett's and St Brigids, both of these club's are well over 50 years old and only acquired their current facilities in the last 20 years. In fairness to Castleknock, it is one of the youngest club's in Dublin 15 and to my mind has done tremendous amount of work since they started in 1998.

You can be thankful your kids are not into Golf, Gymkhanas, Motorsports or Sailing, then you'd know all about cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Get yourself to Westmanstown, fantastic club, membership is €90 per child with a cap of approx. €250 per family. Much more of a personal feel than some of the so called bigger clubs and the facilities are super.

• Advertisement

mattb74 wrote: »
    Get yourself to Westmanstown, fantastic club, membership is €90 per child with a cap of approx. €250 per family. Much more of a personal feel than some of the so called bigger clubs and the facilities are super.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do they have a GAA club there, other than the garda?

edit: Westmanstown Gaels, I never knew that.

http://www.gardawestmanstowngaels.com
    The Easter camp is also well worth a look if you want to get a feel for the club. €50 for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Never join the nearest club,send your child to the most successful.

Transfers can be difficult in the gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trooper1950

ebbsy wrote: »
    Never join the nearest club,send your child to the most successful.

Transfers can be difficult in the gaa.

This is the greatest load of kack ive ever heard in my life, You obviously know nothing about GAA. The whole point of the GAA is playing for your local parish. Growing up playing with friends/schoolmates from kids to juvenile to adult at whatever your level is, will always be far more important than playing with a successful club that is not in your parish.

That IS the whole point of the GAA. The reason that people in general don’t transfer other than work reasons is that they want to play for their parish with the people they grew up with. Its not the bloody premier league.

This is the greatest load of kack ive ever heard in my life, You obviously know nothing about GAA. The whole point of the GAA is playing for your local parish. Growing up playing with friends/schoolmates from kids to juvenile to adult at whatever your level is, will always be far more important than playing with a successful club that is not in your parish.

That IS the whole point of the GAA. The reason that people in general don’t transfer other than work reasons is that they want to play for their parish with the people they grew up with. Its not the bloody premier league.

I agree - which is why it gets to me that Castleknock charge so much for kids. It seems very exclusionary for an organisation that is supposed to be community based and promoting the sports. Perhaps the people who set the pricing are more interested in the buildings than the sport or community.

I agree - which is why it gets to me that Castleknock charge so much for kids. It seems very exclusionary for an organisation that is supposed to be community based and promoting the sports. Perhaps the people who set the pricing are more interested in the buildings than the sport or community.

€192 is not a bad price at all for a season.

€192 is not a bad price at all for a season.

But in comparison to the others as discussed earlier in this thread it clearly is very expensive. Do they have a cap or family rate? I certainly wouldn't cough up nearly €600 for my kids to play for Castleknock.

But in comparison to the others as discussed earlier in this thread it clearly is very expensive. Do they have a cap or family rate? I certainly wouldn't cough up nearly €600 for my kids to play for Castleknock.

I hear you but the fella who created the thread is asking about one kid who he is looking to sign up.

The difference in price compared to the other local clubs, if those figures are accurate, is €42 compared to St Brigids.

If €42 is the extra price to pay to help develop the clubs facilities, that's reasonable.

€42 - I couldn't get out on a Saturday night on €42 and a family Chinese order on the weekend would not be far off €42.

The likes of St Brigids might have some serious backers such as Cooper face jacks, so that assistance might off set some costs. The likes Brigid's has a bar last time I was there so again the overall cost of running the club can be offset with a decent revenue stream from that.

What surprises me is that the clubs mentioned don't seem to publish their fees online. I think the conversation from all of us is mere speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I think for fairness there certainly should be a family cap but for 1-2 children, my opinion would be that any price difference is a false economy when it comes to time, extra travel etc. Also, if you can afford the luxury of it, you'd want your child to play with their classmates and direct neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

There is a family membership of €32 a month (€384 per annum). That's the max anyone pays.

I'm involved with one of the older age groups, so can only give an idea of the value the €192 gives to my son and his teammates.

During the course of the year he will play in the region of 35 matches for the club and have 80 training sessions. At Under 8 he'd have played a similar amount of matches but would have trained a little less, say 60 sessions over the course of the year. If you take the under 8, that would work out at less than €2 per hour. For my lad it works out at about €1.70 per hour. I've a daughter who dances and swims, and each hour she spends doing either of those activities costs a multiple of the figures above.

We're lucky in Dublin 15 to have a number of great clubs to choose from. I recommend Castleknock, but I'd expect any member of St Brigids, Westmanstown, St Peregrines, SOPER or Erin go Bragh to recommend their club. Anytime we play any of those clubs, the atmosphere is good and a warm welcome is assured. Naturally at Under 8 level, the parent will attend every training session and match, but as the lads and girls get older, they'll attend some sessions without you. The point above about playing for your parish is well made. If you're living across the road from a club, then that club should become your club, unless you had an association with a different club previously.

Lastly, the clubhouse will be built this year.

Past30Now wrote: »
    There is a family membership of €32 a month (€384 per annum). That's the max anyone pays.

I'm involved with one of the older age groups, so can only give an idea of the value the €192 gives to my son and his teammates.

During the course of the year he will play in the region of 35 matches for the club and have 80 training sessions. At Under 8 he'd have played a similar amount of matches but would have trained a little less, say 60 sessions over the course of the year. If you take the under 8, that would work out at less than €2 per hour. For my lad it works out at about €1.70 per hour. I've a daughter who dances and swims, and each hour she spends doing either of those activities costs a multiple of the figures above.

We're lucky in Dublin 15 to have a number of great clubs to choose from. I recommend Castleknock, but I'd expect any member of St Brigids, Westmanstown, St Peregrines, SOPER or Erin go Bragh to recommend their club. Anytime we play any of those clubs, the atmosphere is good and a warm welcome is assured. Naturally at Under 8 level, the parent will attend every training session and match, but as the lads and girls get older, they'll attend some sessions without you. The point above about playing for your parish is well made. If you're living across the road from a club, then that club should become your club, unless you had an association with a different club previously.

Excellent post.

From a volunteer position I believe there is a healthy rivalry between Brigids and Castleknock. Who'll be top dog in ten years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've personal experience with SOPER, and I'd recommend them to anyone, the coaches were fantastic with my brother, who wanted to play GAA but has a co-ordination disorder. They took the time to teach him exactly how to move his muscles, and how to hit the ball. He doesn't play anymore, but I'll always appreciate them. I played with Castleknock for a year, and didn't have a great time, but it was around 2000 and I was the only girl on the U-8, so I don't blame them at all, it's awkward being the only girl on a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think its expensive. But...

But its a unfair to compare with clubs who have been around for 30yrs or more. They've had a lot longer to get established and their costs were a lot lower, than it is now. Likewise with the location, the costs of getting started in Castleknock vs somewhere else are just not comparable.

Castleknock at least have put their effort into the pitches (all weather/lights). So when the weather is bad (as it is a lot) they have somewhere to practice. Other clubs in the are have no all weather facilities and you can miss weeks of games in bad weather. Or have to pay to go elsewhere and it plays havoc with schedules.
    ... which is why it gets to me that Castleknock charge so much for kids. It seems very exclusionary for an organisation that is supposed to be community based and promoting the sports. Perhaps the people who set the pricing are more interested in the buildings than the sport or community.

I think this is unfair inference, for any club. There is a very strong parental and community involvement in GAA clubs in general. They are also very inclusive compared to other sports where not everyone gets to compete.

I've personal experience with SOPER, and I'd recommend them to anyone, the coaches were fantastic with my brothr......

Sorry, had to read your post a couple of times to figure out you were referring to Oliver Plunkett's. A great community based club, with a really brilliant bunch of people helping out there.

What surprises me is that the clubs mentioned don't seem to publish their fees online. I think the conversation from all of us is mere speculation.

The prices are published online once you go into the "pay membership" sections.

Past30Now wrote: »

The GAA is a voluntary organisation set up to promote the sports and culture. If you have to justify the prices by comparing them to professional activities that exist to make money you are really demonstrating that Castleknock GAA has lost sight of why the GAA exists.

If the club excludes people on the basis of income then they are really not serving the purpose of the GAA. I worked for years in voluntary youth services and we were always very concious not to put up unnecessary barriers to entry for individuals.

It certainly seems that Castleknock is the most expensive GAA club in Ireland and it is basic economics that if you have a high cost you exclude lots of people.

The prices are published online once you go into the "pay membership" sections.

I cannot find a consistent fees structure on any of the web pages of the local GAA clubs.

I did find this and it looks really impressive.

http://www.castleknock.net/fundraising.1187.html

• Advertisement

Thanks. I was really looking to see if Brigids and Castleknock publicly had their fees online.

Advertisement