Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local GAA club membership costs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Thanks. I was really looking to see if Brigids and Castleknock publicly had their fees online.

The prices for Castleknock are in the registration form:

http://www.castleknock.net/_fileupload/Forms/2015-2016%20Reg%20Form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

Brigids is on their website in the members area..main categories below:

Adult Playing member €280
    Non Player Full Member €100
    Juvenile + 1 Parent €200
    Second Parent/Guardian €30
    Nursery €100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

My head would explode comparing the different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Just to give an update on how this ended up:
    We paid for my daughter and she joined the club as she really loves GAA and has been getting really well in Castleknock due to the work of the great volunteers there.
    I know for a certain that a number of my daughters school mates who attended Nursery will not now move on to play U8 due to the fact that their parents are worried that the kids will not be interested once they get a couple of hits or bad results in a match. The 192 along with other initial costs of over €100 such as gum shield, helmet etc. was a key factor for the parents I was speaking to. Unfortunately these kids are lost to GAA due to the high cost at such a young age.

On a slightly separate issue, as I have other commitment much of the time, my wife goes to a lot of the matches and training. She has no interest in field sports but like many parents goes along for our daughters sake. She was asked to help as a mentor as the club really need female mentors so she agreed to help even though she wouldn’t be into it at all. That’s great says Castleknock GAA “That will be another 192 euro please.” No surprise she agreed to help in other ways and won’t be involved as a mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Stand Side

AlanG wrote: »

On a slightly separate issue, as I have other commitment much of the time, my wife goes to a lot of the matches and training. She has no interest in field sports but like many parents goes along for our daughters sake. She was asked to help as a mentor as the club really need female mentors so she agreed to help even though she wouldn’t be into it at all. That’s great says Castleknock GAA “That will be another 192 euro please.” No surprise she agreed to help in other ways and won’t be involved as a mentor.

That is fairly shocking, many clubs would have a free child membership with an Adult Membership but I would say Castleknock are at the very high end of the scale on costs. Definitely would not expect to have to fork out that sort of money just to help out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

She had to pay to be a mentor? That's ridiculous.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    She had to pay to be a mentor? That's ridiculous.

Yea, we were pretty surprised by it. We were talking to a parent of a U10 or U11 girl yesterday and he said they generally cant get a full team out any more as a lot of girls have dropped out, therefore they have to ask girls from younger teams to fill in. Hopefully the U8s doesn't go like that as time passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 choslimi

Ballyboden St Endas

Rates - http://www.bodengaa.ie/home/club_membership.493.html
    - are similar to those published at Castleknock

Rules - http://www.bodengaa.ie/_fileupload/Downloads/Guidelines_for_Juvenile_Mentors__January__2016_V7_63500150.pdf
    - require mentors to be members, just as Castleknock do

I just checked out my old club membership from when I was a kid up to junior, €50 for adult or juvenile, €150 for a family which is 2 children and 2 non paying adults. Fair enough there's a long established club house already and the membership would include access to a bar, but that's a big difference.

I did check a neighbouring club and they're looking for €110 for non playing membership.

choslimi wrote: »
    Ballyboden St Endas

Rates - http://www.bodengaa.ie/home/club_membership.493.html
    - are similar to those published at Castleknock

Rules - http://www.bodengaa.ie/_fileupload/Downloads/Guidelines_for_Juvenile_Mentors__January__2016_V7_63500150.pdf
    - require mentors to be members, just as Castleknock do

According to that link
    Mentor is 110, (192 in castleknock)
    Juvenile is 140, (192 in castleknock)
    1 full adult and 1 youth or minor is 210 (family option 1)- almost half the price of Castleknock and they have access to a gym for that. (384 in Castleknock, no gym or clubhouse)

It doesn't say it there but I am pretty sure Ballyboden is 60 for kids at U8 level as they are still considered Academie members. (192 in castleknock)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just saw this from the main page, it's 180 for the academy in Dalkey. They train on a Astro turf so need to lease this from the council. No price for the mentors that train them.

The first year they get a jersey included.

With regards helmets etc, best got off adverts.ie only about 25 euro. Hurled are 15 and gum should 2:50 but quite the 100 euro mentioned earlier

ted1 wrote: »
    With regards helmets etc, best got off adverts.ie only about 25 euro. Hurled are 15 and gum should 2:50 but quite the 100 euro mentioned earlier

Runners and boots, tracksuits, shorts, jerseys etc would easily add €57.50 to your sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A...I am pretty sure Ballyboden is 60 for kids at U8 level as they are still considered Academie members. (192 in castleknock)

Bit of a commute for training a couple of times a week though.

ted1 wrote: »

Nothing like a second hand Gum Shield to keep down costs. Good Contribution Ted. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why not just move to a cheaper local club. There are loads of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nothing like a second hand Gum Shield to keep down costs. Good Contribution Ted. Thanks.

Obviously the gum shield is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

That’s great says Castleknock GAA “That will be another 192 euro please.” No surprise she agreed to help in other ways and won’t be involved as a mentor.

Out of interest, and because this seems so obviously wrong that they'd charge a volunteer mentor to pay, did you ask the club secretary about it?

It just strikes me that the management team for the under 8s is the source of advice for this and it's been taken as the club's word. And if they're correct on the club rules, outlining the situation to the club might make them see the light.

Crazy situation

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Out of interest, and because this seems so obviously wrong that they'd charge a volunteer mentor to pay, did you ask the club secretary about it?

It just strikes me that the management team for the under 8s is the source of advice for this and it's been taken as the club's word. And if they're correct on the club rules, outlining the situation to the club might make them see the light.

Crazy situation

We checked this with some more senior members and it is the club policy that mentors must pay unfortunately.

Advertisement