Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for the sin bin to be introduced?

• 08-03-2016 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Cautionable Offences
    A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

Is guilty of unsporting behaviour
    Shows dissent by word or action
    Persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
    Delays the restart of play
    Fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick
    Enters or re-enters the field of play without the referee's permission
    Deliberately leaves the field of play without the referee's permission

How many of these could be better policed with the use of a 10 minute sin bin sanction rather than a yellow card which could result in a sending off at some point?

Not getting back 10 yards, ripping off ones shirt, throwing the ball away are the kind of transgressions that are really something/nothing that a player could pick up a very cheap card seems like overkill. 10 mins down to 10 men is a punishment that is strong enough to make the point without unbalancing the remainder of the game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No thanks, never going to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dont think it would work. However, a rolling blood sub, mightnt be a bad idea.

Granted, most cuts are dealt with it within a few minutes but you've seen times when a player gets a cut and has to get new shorts/shirt from the dressing room and putting his team at a disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No, I think the current system is fine enough. Yellow cards and red cards deal with the spectrum of offences well enough without over complicating matters.

That isn't to say that referees always give the right punishment, but I don't think adding an extra potential punishment improves the referees ability to pick the right option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

GavRedKing wrote: »

Granted, most cuts are dealt with it within a few minutes but you've seen times when a player gets a cut and has to get new shorts/shirt from the dressing room and putting his team at a disadvantage.

I play soccer here in the Netherlands. At an amateur level they have the sinbin. It actually works quite well and since they brought it in there is a reduction in yellow cards.

I definitely back chat less to the ref and there is more respect to the ref in general as you don't want to get a stupid yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CSF wrote: »
    No, I think the current system is fine enough. Yellow cards and red cards deal with the spectrum of offences well enough without over complicating matters.

That isn't to say that referees always give the right punishment, but I don't think adding an extra potential punishment improves the referees ability to pick the right option.

I'm of the opinion that in a lot of cases today it is very easy for some players to be booked for petty things while some fouls are looked at with a lenient viewpoint seemingly depending on the referees discretion. There should be concrete rules for what constitutes a yellow card. I mean players stand in front of free kicks all the time to prevent a quick one and Mata gets booked at the weekend for blocking one (not saying it's wrong he got booked). Players booked all the time for pulling someone back when they've been beat and yet Dier gets away with it when on a yellow at the weekend. These were just in the 2 games I watched.

Referee discretion should be a minor part of enforcing the rule. Clear guidelines should be followed but are left up to the referee. Especially with regard to tall attacking players. How many times has a big attacker been penalised just for competing beside a defender? I've seen it constantly even with the wiry guys like Crouch.

Gone a bit off topic but I think that when the options are simply talking to or yellow card there is a huge difference between the 2. The fact that a referee's forgetfulness can still play a part in decisions is ridiculous at the top level imo. There should be some in between caution that referees can give for minor, non threatening fouls in between the yellow and red and before the yellow too imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Without the clock stopping, it'd just lead to a load of time-wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

GavRedKing wrote: »

Not a problem

inpho_00539695.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd love to see it introduced for cynical fouls like stopping counter-attacks etc. We always hear about players being happy to take a yellow in certain situations and being happy about it. In those situations I think a sin-bin would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Cant see it ever working. With only one way of scoring in soccer you'd end up promoting 10 men behind the ball for 10 minute spells in games which helps nothing. I do like the rolling injury sub, you shouldn't have to lose a player because he may have been on the receiving end of a foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Iang87 wrote: »
    . I do like the rolling injury sub, you shouldn't have to lose a player because he may have been on the receiving end of a foul

While I agree with you I can't see it working in practice. How many times have we seen subs with no shinguards, shirts etc. taking ages to come on. Hopefully the trial's of injured players not having to leave the pitch mentioned in the video ref thread the other day will help. I seem to remember Thierry Henry getting taken out for a penalty in an Arsenal game and someone else having to take it as he had to leave the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

adaminho wrote: »
    While I agree with you I can't see it working in practice. How many times have we seen subs with no shinguards, shirts etc. taking ages to come on. Hopefully the trial's of injured players not having to leave the pitch mentioned in the video ref thread the other day will help. I seem to remember Thierry Henry getting taken out for a penalty in an Arsenal game and someone else having to take it as he had to leave the pitch.

Ya you're right on the players taking ages. I think not having them go off is the answer. Just on the arsenal thing I have a vague recollection of Arsenal players who won penalties seemingly never taking them in a strange type of team policy.

I'll go and have a google of that as it does sound like something thats coming from my hoop and my have completely made up.

After a quick search I see the same thing mentioned back in 04 on a forum I've never heard of so my point isn't completely based on shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd love to see something like this because I think it's much fairer than what currently happens.

You see a player get a yellow card these days that puts him over the limit and he misses the next game. This could be a disadvantage to the team he is currently playing if the team he misses the game against are close to them in the league.

I just don't understand how it's fair that a player gets banned for a future game which could end up costing the team he committed the foul against. In a severe case it could mean the team he commits the foul against gets relegated and the team he misses the game against stays up.

Sin bin would only work in tandem with video ref.

Imagine the ref sin binning a player if it wasn't warranted and costing the team the match?

It would be a massive change. Can't see it happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

100% badly needed. Especially for cynical fouls to stop a counter attack. There should be no such thing as a "good" yellow card.

Apart from time-management in Basketball, I do not know any other sport where it is beneficial to commit an infringement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sin bin would only work in tandem with video ref.

Imagine the ref sin binning a player if it wasn't warranted and costing the team the match?

like with red cards since they've been around? Maybe we should get rid of cards altogether until theres a video ref. Then it may have to follow to get rid of free kicks altogether, they can change games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Better have a warm sin bin then. Or a space where players can keep moving.
    Wouldnt like to sit in the sin bin for 10 minutes on a cold, rainy night in Stoke.

It should be if in addition with yellow card. Now they change the red card rule for goal scoring chance foul. Madness

Advertisement