Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best next generation RPG

Options
  • 08-03-2016 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am a Elder scrolls nut, having sank around 120 hours into Skyrim.

I played ESO but found it rubbish, dont like the format.

What other similar vein games are there that would be good.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Witcher 3 is one of the best games i've played in years. It'll keep you busy for a good 100 hours or so. Dragon Age: Inquisition is also excellent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Dragon Age: Inquisition Game Of the YEar Edition was €20 in gamestop for both PS4 and Xbox One :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Kiith wrote: »
    Witcher 3 is one of the best games i've played in years. It'll keep you busy for a good 100 hours or so. Dragon Age: Inquisition is also excellent.

Actually have the Witcher and just never played it.

Stuck loads into Fallout 4, but now not able to finish it. All factions are dicks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

allibastor wrote: »
    Stuck loads into Fallout 4, but now not able to finish it. All factions are dicks

Yeah, I think they went overboard with the whole including the dark side of things, and in the end created three factions who are each as unlikable as the other.

I've my fingers crossed for Numenera.

Zillah wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they went overboard with the whole including the dark side of things, and in the end created three factions who are each as unlikable as the other.

I've my fingers crossed for Numenera.

Yep. Found that alright.

Thing I liked in Skyrim was that when you did chose a faction it seemed to have a bigger role in the world. And also they were not all dicks.

Must give Witcher a go tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you will not regret it, best game of 2015 by a long shot

Skerries wrote: »
    you will not regret it, best game of 2015 by a long shot

Not sure on it, one thing I had been told is that while it is very open in maps terms, the story itself is very on rails
    IS this any true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bloodborne's an amazing ARPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

sweetie wrote: »
    Bloodborne's an amazing ARPG

I second Bloodborne but if you're not familiar with FromSoftware's games you should be prepared for controller-throwing fits of rage.

I stupidly didn't check the publisher when I bought it, and had never played a FromSoftware game before. There are now some fresh tooth marks on my controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bloodborne frustrated me from the first area, kept getting killed and going back to the start, really annoying, having picked it up in a while. Like it and would consider myself okay at gaming so I'll probably get back in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Not sure on it, one thing I had been told is that while it is very open in maps terms, the story itself is very on rails
    IS this any true

The main quest is a little but there are plenty of side quests that aren't. The combat is very clunky though. They did issue a few patches to fix it a bit but it can still be a bit annoying.

petes wrote: »
    Bloodborne frustrated me from the first area, kept getting killed and going back to the start, really annoying, having picked it up in a while. Like it and would consider myself okay at gaming so I'll probably get back in to it.

It is purpose-designed to be mind-bendingly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

JustShon wrote: »
    It is purpose-designed to be mind-bendingly difficult.

Oh I know that :) as I said I'll get back in to it, actually looking up Dark Souls 2 for the PS4 at the minute having not played any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

IS this any true

The main story is fairly linear I guess, has multiple endings that doesn't take much effort to get. But I still thought it was brilliant and much better then the main quest in Skyrim for example.

Early enough it branches off into three main quests you can approach in different order but end result is the same. Saying that, I still loved every minute of it and some of the side quests [like the bloody baron] are definitely not linear and has some real "wow, wasn't expecting that outcome" from it.
    The world itself just feels alive, really well down. The map is very large but it is not one huge open world.
    Instead it has about 3-4 areas you need to fast travel to and can then walk around, so different to Skyrim in that sense

Its very like Mass Effect 2 actually, where some of the side quests and your actions in them can result in a character or two behaving differently in the main quest. Its also not short by any stretch. Easily ~60 hours to complete the main quest and reasonable number of side quests.

Get it, get it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

I agree with the above. Witcher 3 wipes the floor with most RPGs.

While the combat is a bit clunky it is much better than the combat in Skyrim (well at least the sword fighting - think of it as a less refined Batman Arkhem Asylum game with magic & potions).......the storytelling is second to none. Possbibly the best collection of a hundred+ quests in any game.

Just started with the witcher.

It looks cool, the opening scene was very good!!!!

I am finding the combat is not as good as skyrim at the moment, it is fine and all, but not as cool as I was expecting. The spell thing looks like a good feature.

Only like 2 hours in so far, so will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I tried Witcher 1 and 2 and gave up on both fairly quickly. I find it hard to describe why. I don't like Geralt very much, and I find it weird and off-putting to be playing a premade character that not only has a whole role and personality in the game, but also exists in a series of books (which I haven't read).

Also the emphasis on gathering herbs and doing alchemy is way too much like MMO busy-work to me.

Those were the problems, and nothing else managed to grab me so I found myself putting it down.

Is there any reason to think I'll find 3 any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If we're being honest 3 is a card game with RPG elements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you didn't like 2, you may not like 3. It's pretty similar with more open world type things. It does have the best side quests in any game i've played though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm 85 hours into the Witcher 3 at present (and only wandering around Skellige after completing most quest in Velen and Novigrad, still have loads to do I reckon!) and think it is so much better then 2 that I wouldn't let my enjoyment of that game colour my feelings on 3. I was very underwhelmed by 2, it was an 'OK' gaming experience but no better for me, I disliked many aspects of the narrative, its clumsy attempts at 'mature' themes (which came across like a teenager trying hard for shock value) and some gameplay elements. The Witcher 3 is much, much better I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I didn't like two, couldn't get into it at all, but think 3 may be my favourite game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I tried Witcher 1 and 2 and gave up on both fairly quickly. I find it hard to describe why. I don't like Geralt very much, and I find it weird and off-putting to be playing a premade character that not only has a whole role and personality in the game, but also exists in a series of books (which I haven't read).

Also the emphasis on gathering herbs and doing alchemy is way too much like MMO busy-work to me.

Those were the problems, and nothing else managed to grab me so I found myself putting it down.

That's a design choice to enable better storytelling. As good as the blankslate character is, it does limit the story. More options mean less cohesion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I loved Skyrim but the combat was terrible to be fair, swing and hope type stuff.
    Witcher 3 is a masterpiece IMO, I'm gonna start again when the new DLC comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

EGriff wrote: »
    I loved Skyrim but the combat was terrible to be fair, swing and hope type stuff.
    Witcher 3 is a masterpiece IMO, I'm gonna start again when the new DLC comes out.

To be fair, the combat in Witcher 3 isn't great either.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved it but it clearly had flaws too.
    Was a big improvement over Witcher 1 [combat stances...] and 2 atleast.

Combat in Skyrim/all elder scrolls games kinda falls between, trying to be good at both first and third person and ends up being crap at both. Game released about 10 years ago, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, had fantastic first person melee combat.
    Would love to see the likes of that in a game like Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, had fantastic first person melee combat.
    Would love to see the likes of that in a game like Skyrim.

this **** right here!
    I have been saying this for years, why can't they introduce the fighting mechanics from this game?

I have gotten about 5 hours in and so far If I am honest I dont really feel it.

I think the loot/search/interaction feature is clunky. You need to be at a certain point to interact with something.

I find the conversations seem disjointed, you can be taking and then it seems like you change the conversation very fast.

The combat isnt great, I mean it is more fluid than Skyrim, but not great.
    I am not loving the weapons and the inventory. I so far have 3 main swords, but my actual witcher sword is terrible in comparison. Why cant I craft or upgrade this?

I will give it more time, but as an RPG it falls short of Skyrim and FAllout 4 thus far. As said before it seems more of a MMORPG than anything, not a big fan of all the collecting plants and such

Are you me? I literally thought the exact same thing as you yet somehow I plowed through Witcher 2 (being unemployed might have helped :pac:). I didn't like Geralt nor do I like alchemy or crafting.

I kinda warmed to Geralt towards the end of Witcher 2, but not entirely. Then The Witcher 3 is now my game of the year. Easily. Just jump in and try some of the side quests. It is like watching an R rated film at times. The outcomes are often brutal and twisted. You can ignore all the crafting and still finish it on medium difficulty (sword and a story). I don't like item management or crafting so I could happily ignore for the vast majority of the game. The combat is improved from 2 to 3. I can't remember exactly how but I do recall 2 being somewhat mundane and a chore;that feeling is gone in 3.

I have gotten about 5 hours in and so far If I am honest I dont really feel it.

I think the loot/search/interaction feature is clunky. You need to be at a certain point to interact with something.

I find the conversations seem disjointed, you can be taking and then it seems like you change the conversation very fast.

The combat isnt great, I mean it is more fluid than Skyrim, but not great.
    I am not loving the weapons and the inventory. I so far have 3 main swords, but my actual witcher sword is terrible in comparison. Why cant I craft or upgrade this?

I will give it more time, but as an RPG it falls short of Skyrim and FAllout 4 thus far. As said before it seems more of a MMORPG than anything, not a big fan of all the collecting plants and such

It's head and shoulders above this games imo. Fallout 4 was such a massive disappointment. You can actually skip the "MMORPG" elements of the game; even though the exact same elements are in Skyrim and Fallout 4.

It's head and shoulders above this games imo. Fallout 4 was such a massive disappointment. You can actually skip the "MMORPG" elements of the game; even though the exact same elements are in Skyrim and Fallout 4.

You can't enjoy different games from me! You should enjoy these games and not those games!

• Advertisement

JustShon wrote: »
    You can't enjoy different games from me! You should enjoy these games and not those games!

?

I'm just offering my opinion :confused:

Advertisement