Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best next generation RPG

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

To be fair, the crafting and such seemed much more animated in Skyrim and fallout.

I know in essences it is the same thing, but something just seemed a bit more fun to do.

I cant quite put my finger on it, I just find the controls kind of clunky and the inventory a big turn off.

Plus as other have said, I know having a pre-made character gives a bit more time for the story, but I find cause I dont know the back story I dont really care about Geralt of Riven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

allibastor wrote: »
    To be fair, the crafting and such seemed much more animated in Skyrim and fallout.

I know in essences it is the same thing, but something just seemed a bit more fun to do.

I cant quite put my finger on it, I just find the controls kind of clunky and the inventory a big turn off.

Plus as other have said, I know having a pre-made character gives a bit more time for the story, but I find cause I dont know the back story I dont really care about Geralt of Riven.

I didn't like the collecting herbs crap either, hate "collecting 100 <x>" style quests. Often used just to pad out the game. But I don't remember them really being necessary in Witcher 3, I was able to avoid the vast majority.

As for the combat, yeah... it is what it is, same goes for the inventory management.

I would say, as you have invested 5 hours already, complete the 'Bloody Baron' quest. If you don't like it by then you can safely say its not for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I know what you mean. Its probably a bit unfair trying to compare a game like Skyrim/Fallout to Witcher for this reason. Even more so in Skyrim as you have a 100% blank slate.

For storytelling reasons its better not to have a character creation but obviously for immersion people like having a million choices. It does create some "odd" events in Skyrim though, like bandits still attacking you even though you are the head of the assassins, thefts, fighters, archmage guild etc etc while some of those types of encounters in Witcher 3 result in them running away when they find out who you are :)

I am 10 hours into the witcher now.
    I am finding it still not as immersive as I would have liked.

The money system in game is terrible. I am doing quests but cant seem to get better at buying or selling stuff.
    I dont seem to get any more carry weight. I have loads of stuff which is meant to sell for a decent price, and I had read that you need to find a certain vendor to buy each type, but still cant make any money or craft any goods as I am level 6 now and anything decent is all level 12 or more.

The crafting and such is a pain as everything needs to be paid for to dismantle or repair or anything like that.

I just found skyrim to be way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Level 6? Patience man you've only turned it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

I dont seem to get any more carry weight.
    Saddlebags for your horse increase carry weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

or mod it for infinite carry weight :)

that's one thing I don't like about rpg's and try and mod it as I hate having to go off to sell stuff when I am stuck halfway down a cave or something and am overburdened

I am playing on the PS4.

No i did the saddlebag things. I have 15 swords and load of crafting stuff.

I just dont feel I am getting into it. I am doing some of the main quests now, but anything says I should be a few levels above my own now.

I found a level 17 Niflguard guy just to see, I hot him for 15 mins straight and he took half damage, but 3 shots and I was killed.

I know in Skyrim and Fallout you have a tough time with hard enemies, but my guy is meant to be a witcher, some **** hard mutated guy, and here I am having issues with dogs and men. It just distracts from the overall feel I think.

I get the point of an RPG is to level up, but I find that being killed stupid by normal men when you are meant to beliive your some super monster hunter takes from the feel of the game :(

I am 10 hours into the witcher now.
    I am finding it still not as immersive as I would have liked.

The money system in game is terrible. I am doing quests but cant seem to get better at buying or selling stuff.
    I dont seem to get any more carry weight. I have loads of stuff which is meant to sell for a decent price, and I had read that you need to find a certain vendor to buy each type, but still cant make any money or craft any goods as I am level 6 now and anything decent is all level 12 or more.

The crafting and such is a pain as everything needs to be paid for to dismantle or repair or anything like that.

I just found skyrim to be way better.

I agree with all these criticisms, but I just think crafting is terrible altogether. No matter what game, I've found it to be an utter chore. I ignored the economy of the Witcher and it managed to wonderfully accommodate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Didn't do any crafting myself

• Advertisement

I agree with all these criticisms, but I just think crafting is terrible altogether. No matter what game, I've found it to be an utter chore. I ignored the economy of the Witcher and it managed to wonderfully accommodate me.

To be fair i did think it good in Skyrim, but i found the animation of being working at a forge or whatnot good.

I Think it is just the few small things that add up to make it non emmersive.

And what is with the sideway stand from Geralt! Every convo he does it.

To be fair i did think it good in Skyrim, but i found the animation of being working at a forge or whatnot good.

I Think it is just the few small things that add up to make it non emmersive.

And what is with the sideway stand from Geralt! Every convo he does it.

Well I think your nit picking in that case :pac:

Well I think your nit picking in that case :pac:

haha,

not so much the sideways glance thing, but I just dont feel the game is immersing me enough. I know the NPC dialoges in Skyrim were not great, and the elder scrolls online was woeful, but it seems the same in this also.

I have started to play lords of the fallen. Combat is actually quiet good in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

allibastor wrote:
    I have started to play lords of the fallen. Combat is actually quiet good in this.

If you like this then bloodborne and dark souls will blow you away!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

sweetie wrote: »
    If you like this then bloodborne and dark souls will blow you away!

Lords Of The Fallen was your typical launch RPG, mediocre and bug riddled, but can easily be finished in a day if you just do the story and avoid the Guardian boss bug.

Xenji wrote: »
    Lords Of The Fallen was your typical launch RPG, mediocre and bug riddled, but can easily be finished in a day if you just do the story and avoid the Guardian boss bug.

Only bad bugs I had were with the achievements not popping and needing another playthough.

That said there were plenty that worked in your favor, heres me cheesing the judge on ng++ :Dhttp://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Calex%20dEUS/video/1010406

The game itself was ok , just dark souls with training wheels and very shallow in terms of gear and magic etc. etc. which annoyed me especially after I bought into what the devs said pre-release and they sounded credible. Still I enjoyed it for what it was.

I am about 10 hours (maybe a bit less) into the Witcher 3.

It seems good, I did find the Bloody Baron quest line to be great, big shout out to whom ever said stick that one out!

The crafting/mutagen thins is still getting me a bit, no idea how it works beyond the initial intro of it.

Finding the use of leveled materials also a bit of a chore, but definitely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I am about 10 hours (maybe a bit less) into the Witcher 3.

It seems good, I did find the Bloody Baron quest line to be great, big shout out to whom ever said stick that one out!

The crafting/mutagen thins is still getting me a bit, no idea how it works beyond the initial intro of it.

Finding the use of leveled materials also a bit of a chore, but definitely good.

I found the crafting system to be very poor and a bit pointless at times, to be honest though it would be the only gripe I have about the Witcher.

Xenji wrote: »
    I found the crafting system to be very poor and a bit pointless at times, to be honest though it would be the only gripe I have about the Witcher.

To be fair, similar here. the combat seems to be very repetitive also, dogde and duck and all that.

I am trying to get to the crafting as my level goes up my health isnt, so I am finding that a few hits are killing me.

But now I am level 12 I find that I can kick ass wholesale at this stage.

Advertisement