Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of going travelling solo

Options
  • 08-03-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi everyone
    My first post on boards,
    Been thinking of going travelling for some time now and I think now I'm finally going to take the plunge and start planning.
    I'm 25, single male, have been working since 17 and have plenty of money put away.
    Basically I've just become a bit bored with the humdrum of working all the time, making plenty of money but nothin really great to spend it on, so I think I need a change of scenery.
    Thinking of heading to Australia for the whv for a year and if I get on well after a few months I'll go do the regional work to stay a second year, also hope to go to NZ and maybe around Asia after the stint in aus is up.
    More than likely I'll be going solo, a mate of mine is on about going too, but he's still in college and I think he'll just want to go working as soon as he's finished.
    So anyways a couple of questions for people who have done or are doing something similar:
    How much roughly does it cost to get to Australia, I.e. Visas, flights insurance etc.?
    Would you recommend finding work right away or doing a bit of travelling for a couple of months and then look for work?
    What's your experience of traveling alone?, I'd be quiet sociable and I get on with everyone, just would be a bit nervous heading to the far side of the world and not knowing anyone( might be the best way?)
    I have plenty more questions and if anyone wants to mention anything I've left out please feel free.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Mods if you think this should be moved to a different section then please do.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Just do it. You'll regret it if you don't. Remember you can come home if you don't like it, so don't worry too much.

I've never been to Australia so can't give any specific advise but I was in your exact situation a couple of years ago. Bought a one way ticket to Bangkok and haven't looked back since.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Just do it. You'll regret it if you don't. Remember you can come home if you don't like it, so don't worry too much.

I've never been to Australia so can't give any specific advise but I was in your exact situation a couple of years ago. Bought a one way ticket to Bangkok and haven't looked back since.

Thanks for the reply
    Your first line there kinda sums it up for me,
    The way I'm looking at it is that in 20 years time I'll have more satisfaction out the experience rather than just earning a living for the couple of years, I have all my life to be working, not that I don't like work, I love it actually, but funnily enough earning money has just become a bit too easy and mundane ( I know that might sound cocky, but honestly making money and saving money is a not that hard once you're level headed and I've never been on big wages or anything like that, in fact little more than minimum wage while training to be a mechanic), I need to get out of my comfort zone and shake things up a bit!
    Did you go travelling alone? How did you find that aspect of it?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I took off interrailing on my own when I was 25, best thing I ever did and it has influenced my outlook on life since. Don't even think about it, if you have the chance then just do it.

Don't do Australia though, there are far better options out there. Travel around Europe and hear the different languages, go to Aisa and see a totally different culture, go to South America and get involved in the fantastic backpacking culture. Don't follow the herd to Australia to sit in the pub with a bunch of Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Can't talk about work but I once went around the world in six months and it was a fantastic experience. I went with a friend until she ran out of money halfway and went back home, and after that I was on my own. It was still great; in fact, I met more people when I didn't have a familiar face with me the whole time. Unless you're completely going off the beaten path you'll find like-minded people everywhere, tourists and locals. I'd recommend India and Nepal for an experience most people you know won't have had. It's far better to be somebody who's done the travel than someone who always talks about wanting to travel!

• Advertisement

I took off interrailing on my own when I was 25, best thing I ever did and it has influenced my outlook on life since. Don't even think about it, if you have the chance then just do it.

Don't do Australia though, there are far better options out there. Travel around Europe and hear the different languages, go to Aisa and see a totally different culture, go to South America and get involved in the fantastic backpacking culture. Don't follow the herd to Australia to sit in the pub with a bunch of Irish people.

Well if there's one thing I've never been its a herd follower, I suppose my thinking is, I haven't really done any travelling, alone or otherwise, and Australia offers the same language which for a first timer I think is quite important, also my plan was to work and travel around aus, not do the cliche things, but to actual see the place, and then when I was leaving have a bit of money saved up to travel through Asia, or even go south America from there, maybe I'm daft with that line of thinking, but I don't want to just keep eating into my savings either, I doubt there would be much work opportunities in Asia for backpackers would there?
    But ya I definitely won't be just headin anywhere just to meet a load of Irish, sure its full of them here!ha.
    Don't have a lot of interest in interrailing at the minute, seems very herd follower type of journey at the moment, plus I presume its very city orientated which I don't really find appealing,
    Thanks for the replies again and keep the info coming folks, I'm started to get a bit of excitement back again.

Advertisement