Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your school like?

• 08-03-2016 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

You often hear people moaning about their school but I wonder if grass is always greener?

Here is what I like about my school
    Management are benign if sometimes a bit too laid back
    We dont do Religion as an exam subject ( I teach it)
    We dont correct our own mocks
    Parents are not pushy
    Our Management pays only lip service to Government initiatives like literacy. The same Gov gave us no money for a new Library!

Here Is what I dislike
    Absenteeism is high among a good cohort of pupils and some staff
    Our students are hard to motivate and hardly do any homework
    The building is quite old and dilapidated in places
    A lot of younger staff wear hoodies and jeans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

You often hear people moaning about their school but I wonder if grass is always greener?

Here is what I like about my school
    Management are benign if sometimes a bit too laid back
    We dont do Religion as an exam subject ( I teach it)
    We dont correct our own mocks
    Parents are not pushy
    Our Management pays only lip service to Government initiatives like literacy. The same Gov gave us no money for a new Library!

Here Is what I dislike
    Absenteeism is high among a good cohort of pupils and some staff
    Our students are hard to motivate and hardly do any homework
    The building is quite old and dilapidated in places
    A lot of younger staff wear hoodies and jeans

Different!

Here is what I dislike about my school
    Management run it like business model, v top down
    certain subjects clearly favoured over others
    We have to correct our own mocks
    Parents are sometimes pushy
    Not much collegiality
    Too many detailed initiatives being implemented, non-stop
    Weak union
    Lack of community and extra curricular

Here Is what I like
    Absenteeism is low among most pupils and staff, strong work ethic
    Our students are mostly motivated and usually do homework
    The building is fairly new and modern in places
    A lot of staff wear smart business attire

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Interesting that both of you mention what your colleagues wear. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that what a teacher wears has absolutely no link whatsoever to how they are in class. In fact most of the bluffers wear a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Interesting that both of you mention what your colleagues wear. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that what a teacher wears has absolutely no link whatsoever to how they are in class. In fact most of the bluffers wear a suit.

I agree but people should wear professional clothes (or sort of). Teaching is a professional job and people should wear clothes that suit that industry. What would you think if you went to the doctor and he/she was wearing a hoodie and a pair of jeans? Now I would not doubt his/her prognosis but would be surprised by their attire. Also remember we are role models for the students we teach and they should see that we make an effort. I never thought anything about my clothes until my dip and we had a lecture before TP about clothing and since then I usually dress somewhat professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Different!

Here is what I dislike about my school
    Management run it like business model, v top down
    certain subjects clearly favoured over others
    We have to correct our own mocks
    Parents are sometimes pushy
    Not much collegiality
    Too many detailed initiatives being implemented, non-stop
    Weak union
    Lack of community and extra curricular

Here Is what I like
    Absenteeism is low among most pupils and staff, strong work ethic
    Our students are mostly motivated and usually do homework
    The building is fairly new and modern in places
    A lot of staff wear smart business attire
    Sounds like where I went to school, IOE? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What would you think if you went to the doctor and he/she was wearing a hoodie and a pair of jeans?
    My doc always wears scruffy auld shorts and tshirts. Bloody good doctor too.

In work I'll wear hoodie and jeans. Sometimes. Other times I'll wear shiny shoes and shirt. Nothing to do with professionalism, or what the students might think. Just depends on how I feel like dressing that day. Student behaviour/attention/attitude hasn't ever altered one bit depending on what I wear.

42, by the way. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as a younger member of staff?

I never wear a tie. I don't own a tie. I haven't since I was in school. Ties are daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

our principal lives in jeans as does the DP. Male and Female. He's very handy with DIY around the place too and isn't afraid to pick up a paint brush or a sweeping brush! he doesn't care what we wear as long as we do our job and do it well and made a point about 5 years ago when he started saying that he would prefer us to be comfortable doing our job. Happy, peaceful and casual staff room and happy learners! plus its a bonus not having to spend an absolute fortune on clothes either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Teaching isn't a job where you get to sit at a desk all day. There's a lot of running up and down stairs, moving between classrooms, occasionally moving furniture. I generally wear what I feel comfortable in. Everything from smart trousers and business skirts to skinny jeans. The only article of clothing that's essential in a school is really comfy shoes.

Though I do love seeing everyone in their business best for the parent teacher meetings. That's always a bit of craic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't speculate on thread as to where people work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭2011abc

It's scarey the number of teachers who seems to try dictate to other teachers what they should wear .If we learned nothing else from the last govt ( and clearly we didn't ) it's that suit wearers are far more likely to be dangerous , corrupt individuals than non suit wearers .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

Only because using op layout. Couldn't give a rat arse :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭janes1234

bigpink wrote:
    Jesus the stink of drink and sweat.Taking over a whole carriage thinking they are great Country hasnt learned a thing

2011abc wrote:
    It's scarey the number of teachers who seems to try dictate to other teachers what they should wear .If we learned nothing else from the last govt ( and clearly we didn't ) it's that suit wearers are far more likely to be dangerous , corrupt individuals than non suit wearers .

I completely disagree. If you want to be taken seriously then don't wear jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

janes1234 wrote: »
    I completely disagree. If you want to be taken seriously then don't wear jeans.

I get excellent results. I have excellent relationships with both students and colleagues. I don't care if you don't take me seriously.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I think this thread has gone off topic. I wear jeans occasionally . I do feel you should dress smart casual but its only an opinion. Of course you can be a great teacher and dress in a hoodie/jeans. Yes I did mention it in opening remarks but it was more an observation than a criticism. Many other things were mentioned too.

Can we get back on topic???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

What I like-

Smallish classes
    Plenty of SNAs/extra supports in classes
    No pushy parents
    Management is very relaxed (maybe too relaxed?)
    Staff are all lovely people.

What I dislike-

Management can be quite weak
    Student behaviour and achievement is dire
    Absenteeism is very high
    No school pride/spirit

I wear black jeans, blouses and blazers. I'm dressed up compared to other staff. I really don't think it matters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What I like:

Dedicated Staff
    Good Management
    Supportive Parents
    Lots and lots of sporting extra curricular
    Good community links

What I dislike
    Not enough storage or playing spaces
    Those few parents who think they can park anywhere/block bus bays/gates etc.
    Having to fund raise for fairly basic needs (Not a school issue, per say, more an issue with the DES, I suppose)
    Colour of the formal uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

WHAT I LIKE:
    We are getting a complete new school over the next two years, we'll be in prefabs but it will be worth it.

Great, supportive staff.

A fun staff.

Parents aren't too pushy.

Good relationship between staff and students, this is constantly said by the students themselves.

Very successful in sports.

WHAT I DISLIKE
    Principal treats certain staff in a different way depending on how loud they shout and if they are into sports.

Students are quite apathetic in relation to homework, study, exams...Can be frustrating.

That's it really... I love my school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Good stuff-keep them pouring in people. Sometimes in a school its like a life sentence-you dont know whats going on outside those school walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What I Like
    Majority of staff are genuinely dedicated and care deeply about student welfare
    Majority of colleagues are very supportive of each other
    Most parents are on our side in wanting the best for their children - no pushy parents and little opposition to following school procedures and policies.
    Decent facilities in that we've no prefabs, enough labs, adequate sports provision.

What I Dislike
    Many students suffering poverty and deprivation, some very sad cases
    Poor discipline as policies ignored at times by management
    Principal weak when dealing with a few difficult families who threaten staff
    Management is completely top down, staff never consulted
    Senior staff with POR sidelined in favour of a small group of yes-men who effectively run the school
    A small group of people are allowed do as they like where anyone else would be in trouble
    Constant attempts to control teaching and learning in very specific ways
    Micromanagement of every event or initiative no matter how small by principal
    Attempts to use staff against each other
    Huge numbers left with job insecurity and part time hours
    Intimidation of part time staff by principal
    Many parents ineffective in dealing with poor behaviour or poor effort despite supporting school in theory
    Extreme discipline issues in a minority of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

What I like
    Clean crisp shirts with tie.
    Female staff wearing eg long skirts, trouser suits.

what i dislike
    Staff wearing jeans and runners, tracksuit bottoms (not the PE staff) staff with tattoos, staff who use phones in front of students.
    lack of staff morale

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

What I like:
    Benign enough albeit ineffective management
    98%+ of students are lovely, polite and generally interested enough
    Very nice colleagues
    Parents are in general very supportive and only seen once a year anyhow
    There is not a complete shortage of resources like in some schools
    Teaching and learning occurs in every lesson
    Nobody cares about what I wear.

What I don't like
    Absence of leadership
    Building starting to look a bit tired
    Lack of innovation or support for same
    Excruciating staff meetings with no decision ever made. Most of us have disengaged at this stage but maintain standards in the classroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm practically quoting hookorbycrook....!

Things I like:
    Dedicated Staff (mostly)
    Supportive Parents (mostly)
    Generally well-behaved children and I particular enjoy my class this year
    Good sense of friendship within some members of staff
    Relaxed dress code
    Fantastic new building

What I dislike
    No grass to play on
    Not enough space to play on
    Those few parents who think they can park anywhere/block bus bays/gates etc.
    Having to fund raise for fairly basic needs (Not a school issue, per say, more an issue with the DES, I suppose)
    School politics
    Lack of communication between management and ordinary staff members
    Some staff taking liberties unfairly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Things I like:

Staff morale is fantastic- all supportive of each other.
    Very good Principal and DP, hands on just the way they need to be.
    Kids are good and interested for the most part.
    Relaxed dress code which of course makes it more relaxing for us.
    If we've an idea that will work, we are let roll with it and see if it suits.

What I dislike
    Very basic ICT- some computers are older than me.
    Lack of resources but getting there slowly.
    Building could do with a face lift but has an old school charm about it.
    Parents demands are crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Minus:

I'm in a school where the outstanding characteristic is its egregiously ineffective (to be euphemistic) management. Because the management is so wrongheaded and spineless we end up having to deal with the same people returning from their 18th joke "suspension" to continue getting away with the same things. Anything can be said to us, and everything from physical assault to spitting on us to, worst of all, false accusations of "assault" has happened. (don't get me wrong: most kids are absolutely brilliant and inspire you to be the best teacher you can be but there's definitely a huge percentage of troublemakers who wouldn't be tolerated by a more professional principal)

Plus:

As a direct consequence of this mismanagement, we have an absolutely fantastic staff and are hugely supportive of each other. I've never seen a disagreement between us and even if we don't agree with particular things we make an effort to focus on the areas of agreement as we need each other's support. Everybody makes an effort to support the younger staff especially, who have zero support from management (some complete mental breakdowns by dippers/NQTs witnessed here). No matter what happens, the minute we get into the staffroom there will be laughter even on the worst days. It's the saviour of each of us and that camaraderie is the greatest testimony to our profession.

It would be very useful if the ASTI/TUI organised regular "rate my school" surveys from teachers themselves (this report on "staff morale", for instance, makes this a school I'd never like to work in). It would help guide all teachers on the culture in the school among staff before they apply for or accept a post there, and the existence of such a record might just encourage schools to put emphasis on improving the morale and environment in staffrooms. After this brilliant experience I'd dread going into a school where the staffroom is poison. Life is far too short for that, and most of us are teaching for the quality of life rather than for money. Thank you to all the teachers who do their bit to keep staff rooms positive, supportive, encouraging environments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

Have worked in a school which featured a few Principals....
    What I liked
    Support of staff
    Great staffroom
    Good students
    No cpd
    Disliked:
    Inept and weak Principal
    Too many sacred cows
    Manky buildings

School after change of Principal (10 yrs)
    Great staffroom
    Good students
    Teachers challenged
    Great job
    Disliked:
    Fewer manky buildings and those that remained were clean

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭xtralong

I teach full time in a Youthreach centre but thought I'd add my two cents.

What I like:
    Great staff team and supportive management.
    Being able to input ideas into running of the programme e.g.extra-curricular activities/projects etc.
    Some great students despite often having difficult personal circumstances. Being able to help these young people progress can be very rewarding.

What I dislike:
    Very poor building, cramped with no recreation facilities for students and portacabins for classrooms.
    37 hour week (21 teaching hours and 16 admin hours), admin hours do not include class prep, lesson planning and correcting BTW.
    Shorter holidays (226 working days per year as opposed to 167 for secondary teachers)
    Teaching QQI is very labour intensive. Lots of paperwork, no textbooks so have to create all your own resources and assessments.
    Being termed a 'Resource Person' and not considered a teacher despite being a fully qualified post-primary teacher.
    Limit of only 5 years of increments can be applied for if/when I move back into mainstream teaching.
    Constant challenging behavior.
    Part time colleagues recently switched to teaching contracts by ETB despite many not having teaching qualifications. They now have all the benefits of mainstream teachers e.g. holidays, increments on teacher salary scale etc.
    Lack of opportunities for career progression within Youthreach.
    The experience appears to be not highly regarded when applying for positions in mainstream schools. Considered out of the loop especially in terms of teaching leaving certs. This has been said to me in interview.

Advertisement