Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood floor

Options
  • 08-03-2016 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm sure this has been asked before but... is there any solution?

Moved into a new house one year ago. The builders glued and nailed the skirting boards on.

We were in a rush as the wife just had a baby and we had to move in so we had no option but to lay the oak floor with scotia beads.

It has wrecked my head from day one as the rest of the house is well finished.

Is it possible to take off the skirting without badly damaging the plaster and can the oak planks that were cut to size around the skirting be split or cut from the rest of the floor and replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 homerefurb

Hi,

This can be done but there are a few things to take into account. The skirting and Scotia will come off easily enough but you will need to touch-up the walls where the pry-bar levers them off. The main issue is finding the same wood as your floor and matching it in. Is it a solid, Engineered or laminated floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabregas4

Good on you.

It's an engineered floor. It's about 3 or 4mm of white oak, on top of the composite or engineered board which is about 18mm deep in total.

I have two boxes of boards left over which will do a lot of the job but not it all. It covers virtually the entire downstairs of a 1800sq ft house bar the kitchen.

I also think it'll be easy to find the same make/variety of floor as I've asked the guys I bought it off but I'm aware that the wood will never match exactly. I don't care about that so long as it's similar. I'm more concerned about tidying up the finish.

I'm in Galway. Don't suppose you know anyone with the patience to do this job?

Your in a great place having the wood. You need a top rate Wood Flooring Contractor who has a Festool TS55 skill-saw and guide rails. I'm such a contractor (Google RH Wood Floors) but I'm Dublin based and probably cost prohibitive to travel to Galway. Here is what needs to be done:

Drop off existing skirting and scotia
    Cut existing engineered floor in a straight line using Festool equipment
    Using a router make a new grove in the existing floor and matching grove in the new flooring
    Slip in a false tongue and glue the new floor to the old
    Clamp floor together until glue is set
    Replace existing skirting

You will also need a few new lengths of the existing skirting as invariably some will break as it is removed off the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabregas4

Thanks very much for your advice.

If you've any colleagues/contacts in the west please get back to me.

I guess it would be impossible for you to give an estimate without physically seeing it?

afraid no contacts out west, would need to see it

• Advertisement
Advertisement