Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having twins?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I am the only prego with twins poster on here at the moment?

I am 16+2 today.

Where are you at and how are you finding it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

brokensoul wrote: »
    Just wondering if I am the only prego with twins poster on here at the moment?

I am 16+2 today.

Where are you at and how are you finding it?

No I'm not but delighted it's going well for you broken soul. You're well over the danger period, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

yellow hen wrote: »
    No I'm not but delighted it's going well for you broken soul. You're well over the danger period, thankfully.

Thanks doll.

I still panic at least once a day. Panic when I don't feel well and panic when I do!

x

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

brokensoul have you considered getting one of the dopplers that you can listen to the babies' heartbeats with? I was like you in that I was constantly worrying that something was going to go wrong. It was very reassuring to be able to have a little listen at home whenever I wanted :o I think at 16+2 you'd be far enough along (it wasn't recommended for very early pregnancy because the heartbeat can be harder to find and can result in parents freaking out) I got one on inhealth and it was only about €40

Toots wrote: »
    brokensoul have you considered getting one of the dopplers that you can listen to the babies' heartbeats with? I was like you in that I was constantly worrying that something was going to go wrong. It was very reassuring to be able to have a little listen at home whenever I wanted :o I think at 16+2 you'd be far enough along (it wasn't recommended for very early pregnancy because the heartbeat can be harder to find and can result in parents freaking out) I got one on inhealth and it was only about €40

I have thought about it, but I am afraid I would just end up obsessively checking it!

Also, would it be hard to distinguish between the heartbeat of each twin? (Or is that a really stupid question)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I was in for my 34 week GP appointment today and it took her a good 5mins to find the heartbeat. It just made me think that if that was me at home, I'd be having heart failure!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

brokensoul wrote: »
    I have thought about it, but I am afraid I would just end up obsessively checking it!
    I totally obsessively checked mine lol! That said I had a lovely bedtime routine where I'd plug headphones in to it and spend half an hour or so listening to the heartbeat before going to sleep (or rather attempting to snooze between trips to the loo)
    Also, would it be hard to distinguish between the heartbeat of each twin? (Or is that a really stupid question)
    I'm not sure, I know you have to get the probe close to the baby before you hear the heartbeat so you might find one on the left and one on the right, or one at the top one at the bottom, etc. Maybe ask your doc for tips next time you're in for a check up, they'd probably have plenty of experience of finding multiple heartbeats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Oh those dopplers I don't think i would have one again, I remember one morning nearly having heart failure because I couldn't find the heartbeat. I kept prodding him until he kicked and only then I could breather again!!!
    Best of luck with the twins OP it truly is a wonderful time expecting a bundle of joy and you have the pleasure of two!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 daisybun

I'm almost 23 weeks with twins myself and I'm already finding it tough :(
    I'm finding that It's as if with a twin pregnancy you go from the exhaustion of the first trimester to the exhaustion and pain/aches of the third without the nice second trimester to enjoy being pregnant in between...
    How are you managing so far?

daisybun wrote: »
    I'm almost 23 weeks with twins myself and I'm already finding it tough :(
    I'm finding that It's as if with a twin pregnancy you go from the exhaustion of the first trimester to the exhaustion and pain/aches of the third without the nice second trimester to enjoy being pregnant in between...
    How are you managing so far?

I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first pregnancy! I am feeling ok at the moment, still quite tired but no nausea and little enough heartburn. Had a good bit of stretching pains for the last few weeks but they seem to have eased off this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 daisybun

That's great that you're not finding it too tough so far!

It's supposed to be better to have your twins first as you don't realise how hard you have it :D

I've a toddler already so am mentally preparing for the onslaught.

Do you have a good consultant? It's as well to prepare for the possibility of having to leave work earlier than with a singleton as you will be considerably more tired and less mobile with a twin pregnancy so you'll need a good consultant/GP who will be prepared to sign you off sick when you need it.

• Advertisement

daisybun wrote: »
    That's great that you're not finding it too tough so far!

It's supposed to be better to have your twins first as you don't realise how hard you have it :D

I've a toddler already so am mentally preparing for the onslaught.

Do you have a good consultant? It's as well to prepare for the possibility of having to leave work earlier than with a singleton as you will be considerably more tired and less mobile with a twin pregnancy so you'll need a good consultant/GP who will be prepared to sign you off sick when you need it.

I am with Dr Waterstone in Cork and I find him very good. I am lucky in that I work for myself for the most part so I can decide when I finish up. Of course, I don't earn when I am not working, which is a pain, but it is great to be able to decide my own hours, holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

Just bumping this to keep it going. found out I am expecting twins last week. Its still the early days of pregnancy. I am 8 weeks 4 days now and they are measuring around 8 weeks 2 days.

I am also newly self employed in Ireland after working abroad the last few years. So I am entitled to precisely nothing in terms of social benefits, even though my husband has been a tax payer here the whole time. I thought Id only miss a few months of work with one, but two is is a different matter. I am even finding it tough going at the moment with fatigue and nausea.

I am delighted overall though. We will hopefully work out everything else.

Kantava wrote: »
    Just bumping this to keep it going. found out I am expecting twins last week. Its still the early days of pregnancy. I am 8 weeks 4 days now and they are measuring around 8 weeks 2 days.

I am also newly self employed in Ireland after working abroad the last few years. So I am entitled to precisely nothing in terms of social benefits, even though my husband has been a tax payer here the whole time. I thought Id only miss a few months of work with one, but two is is a different matter. I am even finding it tough going at the moment with fatigue and nausea.

I am delighted overall though. We will hopefully work out everything else.

Welcome welcome.

I am 27+2 today. Tired and a bit uncomfortable but have nothing to compare it to!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

My back is giving me jip already! That maybe due to too much time in bed though.. going to ikea this weekend to get myself a comfortable chair, as there are none in this house! We'll peek at some baby stuff while we are at it....

Advertisement