Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best new TV for consoles under €500?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. So I have €500 to spare and looking to get a new TV for gaming and watch TV (obviously).
    Looking for like maybe around 50" with great sound built in, but I guess I could invest in a soundbar at some point too. I have a 32" Sony bravia smart tv which is great with all the smart bits etc but I've come so accustomed to the size, bigger is better right?

Anybody got any they would recommend? Any sales going on in Dublin? I see in bargain alerts there was an LG TV on sale in argos which seemed pretty perfect but it's expired :(

Thanks guys for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

I don't have specific recomendation, but I've always found power city to be pretty good value, specifically around sale time

I got a LG 42" 1080p smart tV from Power city for €400 14 months ago so I can only presume that they would have better deals now.

Also, unless you're actually going to use the 'smart capabilites' of your smart TV, there is no need to get one. Not once. Not once in over a year have I used any of those features (but I have my pc plugged into the TV instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can always haggle in Power City as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

thegame983 wrote: »
    I got a LG 42" 1080p smart tV from Power city for €400 14 months ago so I can only presume that they would have better deals now.

Also, unless you're actually going to use the 'smart capabilites' of your smart TV, there is no need to get one. Not once. Not once in over a year have I used any of those features (but I have my pc plugged into the TV instead)

Totally forgot about power city! I'll have a look and see what they have.

Yeah, I love using YouTube on the smart tv I have at the moment instead of using one of my many consoles. Just prefer it, faster to put on, by like a minute, buy still faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I know your only looking for one screen, but I got 2 32" 1080p Samsung's in DID for under 600 about a month ago. They where on sale already but I managed to get another 20 quid off (not much but it's 20 quid in MY pocket). Always ask for a bit more off, the worst they can say is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

thegame983 wrote: »

I couldn't agree with this more.
    If you got some console plug in there already, then the whole smart TV is just waste of money.
    Last year I got myself a 50inch Panasonic "dumbass" edition as I call it for 450eu and I couldn't be happier. It was the only nine smart tV too.
    If you can find dumbass TV and get extra inches instead of it being smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Also some of the smart tv makers have built into their tvs the ability to listen, record to all conversations and send them to their HQ. By agreeing to the T&C you are agreeing to allow them to listen to everything even on stand-by and harvest your data., catch is you wont be allowed to use the smart function unless you agree to the T&Cs.

Also some of the smart tv makers have built into their tvs the ability to listen, record to all conversations and send them to their HQ. By agreeing to the T&C you are agreeing to allow them to listen to everything even on stand-by and harvest your data., catch is you wont be allowed to use the smart function unless you agree to the T&Cs.

Used a voice search on an phone at all ? You can actually log on to you google account and listen back to them https://history.google.com/history/audio?utm_source=help

But I'd say smart tv's are a waste, hell I have a 2 year old samsung and seems every other months something is getting discontinued. Better off with a dumb tv and an android / kodi /amazon / apple tv box , dodgy add on's aside you'd be far better off in terms of decent legit apps and usability.

And for the love of god don't forget to turn off your 'trumotion' (LG) or whatever your TV's manufacturer call it.

Advertisement