Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginners Solar Project tips needed

• 08-03-2016 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I have just inherited 4 x 12v lead acid batteries, rated at 144ah each.
    They are in fantastic condition so I decided now is the time to get serious about solar, at a stand alone project level.
    My workshop has 3 cheap solar panels from Maplins attempting to charge various batteries and never quite succeeding. What I have learned from them is its very easy to spend (waste) money on technology you dont understand!!

So I am looking for advice or links to advice online so I can build a stand alone system. I am thinking one panel per battery, so 4 panels, 4 charge controllers, not sure about inverters. I would like to run my workshop lights and 13a sockets off this system and have it as a backup to my house supply in case of power cuts.

Thanks.

Comments

I reckon this a capable, versatile Workshop Rig.
    It'll run artificial mains, truck/motorhome appliances & 24V lighting.
    If you put a smaller fuse (125A) just upstream of the inverter a major inverter fault on the DC side won't take your lights out too.

379891.jpg

The budget version is use a Morningstar ProStar 30A Controller with a display instead of the SC-2030, the TriMetric and the shunt. You'd also gain some almost useful Low Voltage Disconnect features and transistorised isolators.
    Avoid cheap controllers it's the most important part.
    Avoid expensive controllers they're overrated for small rigs.

If you'd like to spend extra now to make the system upgradable to 48V later and expand the solar panel to 2kWp(with a new inverter/charger) I'd swap the solar controller for a TriStar 45.

Cable spec-ed to 150A (3.5kW) max load.
    Controller sited less than two meters from battery for correct regulation.
    Controller needs voltage sense wires and a temperature sensor preferably one that lives attached to a battery.
    Parallel series batteries with power terminals crossing the entire bank.

With the SC-2030 the TriMetric meter is the voltage sense wire and it's highly user adaptable. Meters are indispensable diagnostic tools.

Maplin are the double the price of the competition on modules, cables and connectors. Their controllers are low end. Highwaymen!
    Solar is €1 per watt for 24v and above (grid tie modules) and €1.20 per watt for 12V (36 cell).

Earth neutralising link indicated for a high end inverter. Refer to inverter manual / electrician etc. for correct earthing proceedure of your installation.

Advertisement