Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

isolation switches on hidden sockets

Options
  • 08-03-2016 2:22pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭

i was told by a building contractor that new rules mean that all hidden sockets ie under counter for dishwaser / washing machine / intergrated fridge etc now have to have isolation switches above counter.

is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes, more or less.Microwaves recessed into counters, washing machines etc plugged in under the counter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

These switches are very hand when you defrost a freezer.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2011 wrote: »
    These switches are very hand when you defrost a freezer.

fair point but most modern fridges have that function within the appliance itself.

between separation distances from sinks and cookers, and with the cooker isolation switch itself, it makes for quite a convoluted cramped view over a kitchen counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They are a pain to put in at times with space alright.

They can be useful for isolating appliances when there are RCD trips, to find the fault, or eliminate that socket and appliance from the search though.

Jaysus I'm going to have to put switches everywhere. My missus hides them all due to their "untidy" nature. smiley-bangheadonwall.gif

I haveta move a sofa and table and open a cabinet door to get to the DB too. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

as far as I can recollect, the switches do not have to be on the backsplash above the units they are feeding
    i have seen them mounted in a utility press (constructed to hide the switches)
    they are isolation points for the fridge, dishwasher etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

They must be "readily accessible " and labeled

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

maybe a grid switch arrangement ,it would only be the size of a twin socket might look neater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

They must be "readily accessible " and labeled

That doesn't mean they have to be in sight.

Could you mount the switches under wall hung cupboards and put some fascia on the cupboards to hide them?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

If you're installing a new kitchen, just put the sockets in the cabinets beside the appliance. No need for switches above counter then, as the sockets are accessible.
    Only drawback is that you may need to drill a large hole in the side or back of the cabinet to fit the plug through. If it's not a molded plug, a 10mm hole will suffice. It's may not look great, but who's gonna be looking in the back of your cabinets anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you're installing a new kitchen, just put the sockets in the cabinets beside the appliance. No need for switches above counter then, as the sockets are accessible.
    Only drawback is that you may need to drill a large hole in the side or back of the cabinet to fit the plug through. If it's not a molded plug, a 10mm hole will suffice. It's may not look great, but who's gonna be looking in the back of your cabinets anyway!

When the press is full of clutter, it might be back to square one.

You can get something like this,(in 6 gang or 8)
    MK make them and the modular switches.
    I installed loads of them 5/6 years ago in an apartment block and the switches were labeled properly.dont think they were custom.
    I think there was dishwasher,washing machine,ceiling lights,undercounter lights and extractor.
    Maybe you can get a 32amp switch and put the cooker on the grid too?
    Would be hard to 2nd fix it but would be tidy looking.Not up to date on my regs anymore tho

mk-aspect-grid-plate-6-gang-k24346-bss-flat.jpg

Advertisement