Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligible for VTOS?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hopefully posting in the right place; searched everywhere and can't find an answer.

Some background;

In 2011 I completed a FETAC Level 5, I then went on to complete a BTEC HND from 2011 to 13 (I think it's equivalent to FETAC Level 6, two year course.) I received a grant for both of these courses.

Last September I started a Level 8 BA on the Back to Education but left the course this past February because it was not at all suitable or related to what I wanted to do.

I've found a couple of PLC courses I would like to do under VTOS that would allow me to apply for advanced entry to second year of a much more relevant Level 8 on completion.

I meet all of the requirements for VTOS (over 21, more than 156 days on benefit, etc) but I am not sure if my prior learning will affect my eligibility, as I know with things like the grant you must be progressing in education, I'm also not sure leaving my degree course while on BTEA will go against me, but I have confirmed with the social welfare that it does count towards days spent on benefit.

I've contacted the college's VTOS officer but have yet to hear back, so if anyone could shed some light on this it would be great. I can't afford to go back without VTOS and really don't want to get my hopes up in the meantime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You meet the basic criteria, it just depends on what, if any, learner groups they prioritise in awarding VTOS places. In our ETB you would probably be ok but in the end its the centres call really. Maybe follow up with them again but they may be waiting to see how many applications under VTOS they have before making a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Thanks for that. Heard back from the college officer today.

"Your prior learning can influence the decision on you getting a VTOS place, it depends on the demand for places. Apply on registration day for a VTOS place."

Had no idea I would have to wait until September to even apply for VTOS. The fear is I'd start my course and have to leave if denied. Oh well.

Advertisement