Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harassment??

Options
  • 08-03-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I called into work on a friday as i had a family bereavement , i spoke to my managers manger and informed them i wouldn't be back to work i didnt know how long i will be, The said manager said take as much time as i needed as i sounded in shock.

I returned to work the following Tuesday ( 2 working days in total) only to find out my manager not the one i spoke to had gone into my emergency contact number and contacted my partner, he didnt get her so he then googled her and found out her work number. He called 4 times off the same number but used 4 different names and leaving a message to call back asap .

Is it me or is this normal procedure :eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

MrTom1 wrote: »
    I called into work on a friday as i had a family bereavement , i spoke to my managers manger and informed them i wouldn't be back to work i didnt know how long i will be, The said manager said take as much time as i needed as i sounded in shock.

I returned to work the following Tuesday ( 2 working days in total) only to find out my manager not the one i spoke to had gone into my emergency contact number and contacted my partner, he didnt get her so he then googled her and found out her work number. He called 4 times off the same number but used 4 different names and leaving a message to call back asap .

No. That's incredibly weird. I would definitely take this up with the manager or another manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Refor1981

LeeLooLee wrote: »
    No. That's incredibly weird. I would definitely take this up with the manager or another manager.

Yeah v weird! What was it Manager wanted exactly?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

He called 4 times off the same number but used 4 different names and leaving a message to call back asap .

He called your partner 4 times using four different names !!! It sounds like he didn't believe your story and was trying to catch you out on something. What a weirdo!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

Not normal procedure at all. In fact it's not even a procedure, it's harassment! Report this weirdo immediately to the manager who you spoke to originally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

I spoke to the first manager today and his excuse was that my manager wanted to see if i was returning to work on the Monday , i said that i was told take my time and as much time as i needed was advised on the call with him. I told him that under the circumstances of a family member dying i found this completely unacceptable and harassment of my partner and violation of her privacy

Yes, you are right. I would take this up with HR and file a complaint. Totally unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Your manager was out of line. I think on the first day you should have spoken directly to your manager. What is company procedure for notifying for leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

Your manager was out of line. I think on the first day you should have spoken directly to your manager. What is company procedure for notifying for leave?

First day u was back his manager took me into the office and acted like nothing was wrong , I found a few hours later what had happened the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Why didnt you call your manager? Not your "mangers" "manger"?

Its not harassment assuming he did leave 4 different names, which wouldnt make any sort of sense assuming he just wanted to know when you would be back. Its you not informing your line manager of absence and assuming the "manger manger" will inform your "manger". That would be normal procedure.

Did he tell you he used 4 different names?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Why didnt you call your manager? Not your "mangers" "manger"?

Its not harassment assuming he did leave 4 different names, which wouldnt make any sort of sense assuming he just wanted to know when you would be back. Its you not informing your line manager of absence and assuming the "manger manger" will inform your "manger". That would be normal procedure.

Did he tell you he used 4 different names?

I spoke to his manager , his manager said he would tell him . He called my partners work 4 times using 4 different names on each call , since the post his manager the person i spoke to has sent an email stating "yes " the manager did call and did give fake names and the same number to call back asap . This isn't normal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

How some morons get into positions of responsibility is actually beyond me......

• Advertisement

cabledude wrote: »
    How some morons get into positions of responsibility is actually beyond me......

So it's not me this is harassment ??? I didn't know what to say when his manager emailed me saying he did do it . At a loss as what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

So it's not me this is harassment ??? I didn't know what to say when his manager emailed me saying he did do it . At a loss as what to do
    No, its most definitely not you. This behavior is unprofessional, inappropriate and deeply unusual. I would discuss this with the site/department boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cabledude wrote: »
    No, its most definitely not you. This behavior is unprofessional, inappropriate and deeply unusual. I would discuss this with the site/department boss.

Agree with this.

But it's not harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How'd did they validate using your 'emergency' contact? Was there an emergency to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

not harassment but a breach of policy, calling your EC is fine calling her at work and leaving four different names is unstable.

Report to HR and say you just wanted to confirm that it will not happen again no need to make a big deal of it but let them know it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They brushed it off saying O we where worried about you so we needed to use fake names so not alarm your partner. Everything was brushed aside and nothing more said , I sent an email in reply but nothing has been returned . I've spoken to a solicitor and it is harassment , harassment and border line bullying the solicitor has said . Not sure if I should just leave it or speak with HR
    Speak to Hr, the matter needs to be put on record. You never know when you may rely upon it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

They brushed it off saying O we where worried about you so we needed to use fake names so not alarm your partner. Everything was brushed aside and nothing more said , I sent an email in reply but nothing has been returned . I've spoken to a solicitor and it is harassment , harassment and border line bullying the solicitor has said . Not sure if I should just leave it or speak with HR

Mmmm border line bullying comment from a solicitor

Bullying has to be multiple incidents and the company has had to have a chance to resolve it and failed for "bullying" to have occurred.

One incident like this could never be considered bullying.

What would you hope to gain by speaking to HR ?

Advertisement