Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

47 too old to go?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

My brother has been out of work for a couple of years, now. Always resisted the thought of going away to work because (a) was convinced something would turn up & (b) wife is in a great, well paying job.

He's now looking at a move to Toronto. Wife is still in her job but he thinks if he's able to land a decent paying position, that she'd be able to be talked around.

However... He's 47 (just gone). Is that too old? Would he even be considered?

They've three young kids (were late starters) & he's saying it'd be the better option for them at the young age as they'd settle quick enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I would say that only he can decide if it's too old or not.

From a practical standpoint, he would only be able to move over if he could find an employer to sponsor him for a temporary work permit (and then ultimately permanent residency). He would not get enough points to qualify under express entry on his own (he would lose a ton of points for being 47).

What is his profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

What is his profession?

He used to work in IT, but hasn't now for a number of years (was sick for a while, lost the job & wasn't able to get back in)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

OU812 wrote: »
    He used to work in IT, but hasn't now for a number of years (was sick for a while, lost the job & wasn't able to get back in)

Think lack of qualification (or expired qualification) and age will go against him. Anyway, with the direction that Canada's heading in he might be better off staying in Ireland. :rolleyes::)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

It's best that you go to the Canadian Immigration website and try to determine eligibility yourself.

Immigration is based on various criteria and being 47 in itself will in no way exclude your brother from express entry. An application as a family, especially with 3 young kids will count in his favour greatly.

Below are the major criteria on which eligibility is determined:
    • nationality
    • family members
    • education
    • work experience
    • income and/or net worth
    • details on any job offer

Being 27 versus 47 is likely to give someone more points, but a 47 year old with 3 young kids will likely get more points than a 27 year old who has none.

Try the eligibility tool for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It's best that you go to the Canadian Immigration website and try to determine eligibility yourself.

Immigration is based on various criteria and being 47 in itself will in no way exclude your brother from express entry. An application as a family, especially with 3 young kids will count in his favour greatly.

• nationality
    • family members
    • education
    • work experience

Being 27 versus 47 is likely to give someone more points, but a 47 year old with 3 young kids will likely get more points than a 27 year old who has none.

Being 27 gets you 110 points for age, being 47 gets you 0 points for age. Having kids gives you no extra points (indeed having a spouse accompanying you gives you less points overall).

This is a good tool

http://www.bellallianceglobal.com/CRS-Score-Calculator

Right now you need to be scoring around 450 points to be invited to apply, I don't see any way that someone aged 47 could reach that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

• nationality
    • family members
    • education
    • work experience

Why would being 47 and having three kids make you eligible for more points? :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Being 27 gets you 110 points for age, being 47 gets you 0 points for age. Having kids gives you no extra points (indeed having a spouse accompanying you gives you less points overall).

This is a good tool

http://www.bellallianceglobal.com/CRS-Score-Calculator

Right now you need to be scoring around 450 points to be invited to apply, I don't see any way that someone aged 47 could reach that level.

Yes it does seem that it would be difficult. However with 3rd level education, language exams passed with good mark he can get close; but still would likely require a provincial nomination.

el diablo wrote: »
    Why would being 47 and having three kids make you eligible for more points? :D

Based on the link provided above it seems to not. I was getting mixed up with provincial programs, such as in QC, where there is a huge pension deficit, that they favour families with young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

i am 41, single no kids and have some IT experience? what are my chances in getting a visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

raher1 wrote: »
    i am 41, single no kids and have some IT experience? what are my chances in getting a visa

Low.

• Advertisement

raher1 wrote: »

Low.
    Not meaning to be insulting here, and just trying to be brutally honest based on my own perspective, but I would say extremely* low.

*Based on the assumption that you did not take the time to read the previous posts and use the tools in the links provided to determine your eligibility and the possible alternative options that are available, e.g. Provincial nomination instead of Federal. Age and experience are just part of the criteria, initiative and work ethic are not part of the eligibility tool but they will count for a lot.

Advertisement