Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Fleadh?? Or similar event

Options
  • 08-03-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi all, last minute request here but just got some bad news and due to ill health I won't be able to attend my Godson's confirmation mid may.

He's mad into games (it's a great topic of conversation between us both). I notice that games Fleadh is on tomorrow. Is this suitable for a 12 year old or just adults? If not, are there any other events coming up in the next few weeks while I'm still out of hospital?

I really want to bring him somewhere for an experience he'll remember rather than handing him a card with money

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If he is into coding then bring him to any of the numerous game jams. Better yet enrol him in a coder dojo summer camp. If he enjoys it he'll be getting a great headstart and experience in a market with lots of jobs at the moment. Check the irish game developers facebook page for more details and people that can answer the question better than me.

Now just so you know the games fleadh is were independent game developers go to show off new ideas and games. Most of the stuff is pretty low tech, janky and unfinished. It's not exactly E3 where they show off all the new games and the big titles. Might be good to bring him and educational about the games industry but if he is expecting the latest Call of Duty footage then he won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Thanks very much for the reply. Answers exactly what I was wondering about tomorrow. Of course I completely forgot he's in school. Gas how quickly I've forgotten bout such responsibilities like work, school in my infirmed state.
    I will look into the summer camp for him as I think he'd really enjoy that. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see any big expos advertised at present but I guess it's too early in the year.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If he is into coding then bring him to any of the numerous game jams. Better yet enrol him in a coder dojo summer camp. If he enjoys it he'll be getting a great headstart and experience in a market with lots of jobs at the moment. Check the irish game developers facebook page for more details and people that can answer the question better than me.

Now just so you know the games fleadh is were independent game developers go to show off new ideas and games. Most of the stuff is pretty low tech, janky and unfinished. It's not exactly E3 where they show off all the new games and the big titles. Might be good to bring him and educational about the games industry but if he is expecting the latest Call of Duty footage then he won't get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's no big gaming expos in Ireland, it's all indie developer stuff. The closest would be EGX over in England or maybe the big retro gaming events there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Videogames Live is coming back in May as part of the iDig festival. Was a great experience last year and could definitely be a winner. - http://idigmusicfest.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Videogames Live is coming back in May as part of the iDig festival. Was a great experience last year and could definitely be a winner. - http://idigmusicfest.com/

I spotted that also but I got the impression it was more music based and the old school tunes would quite possibly go over his head

How about comic con? Does that have a fair offering of vg characters on top of the comic stuff?

• Advertisement
Advertisement