Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon Sun, Oct 9th 2016.

Options
  • 08-03-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

Website
    Registration
    2015 Thread
    2014 & 2013 Thread
    2012 Thread
    2011 Thread

Registration information has just opened for this. Same as last year.

Guaranteed Entry:

Time qualifier
    Men who have run a verifiable sub 3:15:00 marathon and women who have run a verifiable sub 3:45:00 marathon on or after January 1, 2015.

Otherwise a lottery:

The lottery entry period will be open for six weeks starting in March. The dates and times for the lottery entry period will be available in February.

Ok I stole all the above from blockic's thread last year :) Just entered it myself using a time qualifier from Boston so committed now, anyone else considering it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

Applications for non-guaranteed entries will be available from March 15 to April 12.
    I'm gonna enter the lottery for this, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Email showed up this morning :)
    Congratulations! Your application for a guaranteed entry to the 2016 Bank of America Chicago Marathon has been approved.

Hope you the good news as well in the next few weeks. Must admit I'm not sure what sort of numbers apply for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

since ballot results are out today might aswell bring this thread back to life.

Is there many waiting on the ballot results

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Application approved!!! email arrived at 10.27

However, I'm running Berlin in Sept so will defer it to 2017

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You have to pay for this year and 2017 to do that as far as I know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Jeebus, just saw that. Cowboys!!

Got accepted myself today. New York last year, Chicago this year.
    Boston 2017 to make it a hatrick!

Got in myself will be my 1st of the majors

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dodgeyankle

im in.. need redemption after last year. 4h01m28sec.. 25 degree day.. freak weather for October. hopefuly better weather this year and well under the 4 hours for a pb...
    possibly the best organised marathon around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Doing Berlin and New York this year so enough money spent! :o

Very enjoyable last year and did get fairly warm towards the end (I came in at 3:50). Quick exit from the finish line, food bag if you want it, medal, heat blanket and/or cold cloth and out. I hate being stuck in there! I stayed right across the street from finish at the Congress Plaza Hotel, about 1.5 miles from the expo I think.

• Advertisement

Any other suggestions on the best areas to stay?

Was it not worth while hanging around the finish area?

Was looking at sport travel international as a non runner got my race entry all ready. They are charging €475 if u want to get a race entry though then. I think I paid €190 for my entry in the ballot. Surely no one will pay that

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dodgeyankle

Ruu wrote: »
    Doing Berlin and New York this year so enough money spent! :o

Very enjoyable last year and did get fairly warm towards the end (I came in at 3:50). Quick exit from the finish line, food bag if you want it, medal, heat blanket and/or cold cloth and out. I hate being stuck in there! I stayed right across the street from finish at the Congress Plaza Hotel, about 1.5 miles from the expo I think.

I got dropped off in the city that morning right by the park, and we hung out in the congress lobby, used hte bathroom, stayed warm etc before we headed over to the start..
    I had no choice but to wait around the finish line, as I was waiting for my brother to finish and he was a hour behind..
    I had to search for some shade, found some trees in the corner and laid down there. was a band on, bbq , beer etc...but all I wanted was a couch or bed to be honest..

hotels are way over priced. try air b and b.. 300 a night for hotels.. crazy.. that was before the lottery, prob more now..

Well lads how is the training going? Everyone got sorted with flights and accom?

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Well lads how is the training going? Everyone got sorted with flights and accom?

flight were a lot more decent then i expected flying out Friday back Monday €530 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Think I've read somewhere that the corrals are being assigned today. Hoping to be among the 3.15 pacers. Think that it corral B.

Just booked my flights today in fact! Flying out the morning of Fri 7th so should get there around lunchtime all going well. Going to sleeping on a friend's floor for a few days around the marathon & then heading to DC to visit a friend who's moved there for a year or two.

I see I have been assigned to corral D. Just sent them an email requesting to be moved to corral B based on my most recent 1/2 time.

I see I have been assigned to corral D. Just sent them an email requesting to be moved to corral B based on my most recent 1/2 time.

If you have done a half marathon under 1.35 they will change it for you. Don't think you get an email saying that they have reassigned your corral, it's just a case of checking the athlete centre. I got Corral B just hope they don't reassign me at a later date.

Yeah have a 1:30 half so hopefully they move me, would like to be in with the 3:20 pacers

• Advertisement

Yeah have a 1:30 half so hopefully they move me, would like to be in with the 3:20 pacers

I'm sure you will. Would it not be possible to still go with the 3.20 pacer or is the time gap between starts too long.

noelearly wrote: »

I'm sure you will. Would it not be possible to still go with the 3.20 pacer or is the time gap between starts too long.

Not so much the time between corals as we all go off at the same time, it's weaving through all the people to get to the pacers. Much easier if I'm in the same corral with them and others going the same pace.

If you have done a half marathon under 1.35 they will change it for you. Don't think you get an email saying that they have reassigned your corral, it's just a case of checking the athlete centre. I got Corral B just hope they don't reassign me at a later date.

where does it tell you the corral. Had a look at the athletes centre and cant see it any where

scheister wrote: »
    where does it tell you the corral. Had a look at the athletes centre and cant see it any where

Just google Chicago marathon start corrals and it will give you a link to the runners page. That's how I found it.

Just google Chicago marathon start corrals and it will give you a link to the runners page. That's how I found it.

Corral E.

Have a HM PB 1:41 may see can i get pushed into D looking to do a sub 3.30 that day

Just released they moved me into corral B, last couple of weeks training has been spotty enough but hopefully the 6 or so weeks will go smoothly.

Just released they moved me into corral B, last couple of weeks training has been spotty enough but hopefully the 6 or so weeks will go smoothly.

I'm in B myself, is that the final placements now. Never received email or anything like that.

I didn't receive an email but according the website corral assignments are final since Tuesday Aug 23rd.

I didn't receive an email but according the website corral assignments are final since Tuesday Aug 23rd.

That's good hoping to go with 3.20 pacer or if pushing it the 3.15. Submitted my 1.32 half marathon time on the deadline.

• Advertisement

Do they send you an email with your corral or is it just a matter of checking the page with the different times and assignments?

It's all getting real now, I've two half marathons in Sept so will decide after those what sort of run I should aim for in the windy city.

Advertisement