Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago Marathon Sun, Oct 9th 2016.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

opus wrote: »
    Do they send you an email with your corral or is it just a matter of checking the page with the different times and assignments?

It's all getting real now, I've two half marathons in Sept so will decide after those what sort of run I should aim for in the windy city.

I haven't received an email from them anyway, I though I read somewhere that they mail a package to international runners.

Re: the race, my training in August has been less than ideal so trying to get some long stuff done now before the taper so will probably forgo racing a half in favor of an extra longer run.

Out of interest Opus when is your last 1/2? Will you race it flat out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭opus

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Out of interest Opus when is your last 1/2? Will you race it flat out?

Afraid haven't done any race flat out since a 5k & a 10k last year :o

The two halfs are on Sept 10th & Sept 18th. My plan is stick to the 1:30 pace group for the first one & maybe (all things going well) push on a little in the last 5k. If (and it's a big if!) that works out ok then I'll try the same samething at the second one but with the 1:25 pace group instead.

Time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Been quiet on here recently, not long to go now. Has anybody received information recently on the expo or indeed info bid numbers etc etc. I seen on Twitter yesterday that we should expect an email today with details I haven't received anything as of yet.

Nursing the dreaded head cold, always seem to pick something up during the taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

noelearly wrote: »
    Been quiet on here recently, not long to go now. Has anybody received information recently on the expo or indeed info bid numbers etc etc. I seen on Twitter yesterday that we should expect an email today with details I haven't received anything as of yet.

Nursing the dreaded head cold, always seem to pick something up during the taper.

Got an email from them just after lunch today. Check ur junk mail maybe

Yeah got mine this morning too. Training has gone well the last few weeks but still cursing a two week gap in the middle due to combination of work/holidays and a dodgy calf.

• Advertisement

scheister wrote: »
    Got an email from them just after lunch today. Check ur junk mail maybe

No nothing in the junk box either, I'm sure it will be sent along soon enough.

No nothing in the junk box either, I'm sure it will be sent along soon enough.

Same as the rest, got the email yesterday as well.

I'm doing a reverse taper as was laid up with a dose of something for ~1.5 weeks, got back over 40 miles last week and aiming for something over 60 this one.

Wasn't able to raise any enthusiasm during the Summer to chase a time goal for Chicago so just a tourist marathon for me :o

Same as the rest, got the email yesterday as well.

I'm doing a reverse taper as was laid up with a dose of something for ~1.5 weeks, got back over 40 miles last week and aiming for something over 60 this one.

Wasn't able to raise any enthusiasm during the Summer to chase a time goal for Chicago so just a tourist marathon for me :o

Got my registration email this morning, over 60 a week before, fair play. This is the hardest I've trained so far for a marathon so hopefully all comes right. The dreaded Jet lag hopefully won't have an adverse effect.

So what corral is everyone in and what are the targets?

Corral B for me still deciding on what pacer to go with. 3.10, 3.15 or 3.20. Felt really good a few weeks back but every run is a chore now and this flu still hasn't fully gone.

What about yourself?

• Advertisement

Corral B for me still deciding on what pacer to go with. 3.10, 3.15 or 3.20. Felt really good a few weeks back but every run is a chore now and this flu still hasn't fully gone.

What about yourself?

Corral B myself, think I'll go with the 3:25 group and try to push on.
    Anything under 3:30 I'll be happy with anything under 3:20 would be bonus territory.

Last 6 weeks or so have gone really well and my MP stuff has been around 7:30 m/m but I'm concerned I don't have the endurance built up.

Corral E myself. Little annoyed as aiming for a sub 3:30 so the paces are in a different group. My own fault not really been allowed race over last while by my trainer so did not have a sub 1:40 HM to get into the right corral.
    The race really has come fast. Hard to think this time next week ill be in the airport.

scheister wrote: »
    Corral E myself. Little annoyed as aiming for a sub 3:30 so the paces are in a different group. My own fault not really been allowed race over last while by my trainer so did not have a sub 1:40 HM to get into the right corral.
    The race really has come fast. Hard to think this time next week ill be in the airport.

That's annoying alright with the corral, apparently GPS doesn't seem to work for the first 3 miles due to being downtown so important to have your splits memorised. You should good passing people on your way to a 3.30 all the same.

That's annoying alright with the corral, apparently GPS doesn't seem to work for the first 3 miles due to being downtown so important to have your splits memorised. You should good passing people on your way to a 3.30 all the same.

Don't see why that would be a problem, I run in downtown Manhattan all the time and my garmin 230 doesn't have much of a problem but I wouldn't reply too much on that watch in the marathon all the same as there is always a margin of error and pace bands are the way to go in longer races.

I'm in corral A, thinking I might see if I can find a 3:15 pace group somewhere & try and stick with them. Who knows I might make it :)

I'm in corral A, thinking I might see if I can find a 3:15 pace group somewhere & try and stick with them. Who knows I might make it :)
    Good man Opus, how did the two half's go for you in Sept?

Corral B for me with the 3.15

Off topic here but anybody recommend travel insurance?? Does it cover marathons, first one aboard so bit clueless.

Was sick for the first one so had to let it go sadly, made the start line for #2 but was still recovering so felt fairly rotten for the last 5/6k but was happy just to have made it there.
    Off topic here but anybody recommend travel insurance?? Does it cover marathons, first one aboard so bit clueless.

I've yearly travel insurance which handily last's 'til the end of Oct, this is what it has to say about sports.
    If you intend to take part in a sport or activity during your trip, please note that cover is available for the activities listed in the two tables below provided:
    • You follow the safety guidelines for the activity concerned and where applicable you use the appropriate and recommended safety equipment;
    • The activity is not the main purpose of your trip;
    • The activity is not part of a competition or tournament;
    • The activity is not on a professional basis.

Cost ~€45 afair.

Some cover marathons some dont. My normal policy does not cover you while running the marathon but took out cover with my travel company to be safe and that does not during the marathon

Had a look at the weather just now, this would be grand if it's accurate!

15cko6p.jpg

Any plans for a post run beverage or two?

• Advertisement

The weather forcast is sweet, lets hope it holds!

My plan is to stay around Grant park for a while, redeem my goose island beer and then see how the body is holding up.

I'll be wearing a black New York Harrier singlet with a big H on the back so come up and say hello if you see me.

Landed in Chicago today, went for a 6 mile run and let's just say I wouldn't want it to be this hot Sunday, humidity is crazy at the moment but rain is forecast for later on in the week so hopefully temps come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Not to worry you but I would absolutely make sure you have correct insurance. Chicago marathon 2011- I woke up in hospital after collapsing during the race. The ambulance bill alone was over a grand. Never mind the hospital stuff. I took out insurance the week before as am afterthought. No quibbles all paid. It was not specific marathon insurance, just travel insurance. As long as the sport wasn't in a professional capacity and wasn't one of a few specifically listed - eg sky dive, I was okay. It was a Canadian policy (I was living in Toronto) with RBC so unlikely it's available here.

Killerz wrote: »

Not to worry you but I would absolutely make sure you have correct insurance. Chicago marathon 2011- I woke up in hospital after collapsing during the race. The ambulance bill alone was over a grand. Never mind the hospital stuff. I took out insurance the week before as am afterthought. No quibbles all paid. It was not specific marathon insurance, just travel insurance. As long as the sport wasn't in a professional capacity and wasn't one of a few specifically listed - eg sky dive, I was okay. It was a Canadian policy (I was living in Toronto) with RBC so unlikely it's available here.

Yeah that would be a worry, hospital bills over here are crazy, I got sorted with the Aa travel insurance package think it was 30, running was ok just as long as not in a professional capacity like you said.

Now off topic again..... Jet Lag

Best of luck to everyone for Sunday, I'm Dublin bound after work so might not have much in the way of web access.

I've an ICS singlet with the tricolour on it so might well wear that as it gets a good reaction in the US :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I would say if you're flying to Chicago (or anywhere) to run a marathon, then that is the main purpose of your trip and therefore you're not covered?
    I'm no expert and could be wrong but that's the way I'd read that.

yaboya1 wrote: »

I would say if you're flying to Chicago (or anywhere) to run a marathon, then that is the main purpose of your trip and therefore you're not covered?
    I'm no expert and could be wrong bit that's the way I'd read that.

I was told that if you are running the marathon competitively you are not covered. But they could not define what competitively was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck to everyone here running tomorrow. Much cooler today, perfect marathon weather. Will be out cheering along the way!

Expo was fantastic I thought. Even managed a selfie with Mr Yasso

• Advertisement

Who knows I might make it :)

The running gods smiled on me & I made it :) Talked my way into corral b so I wouldn't be getting in anyone's way in the a corral.

Thanks to blockic for hospitality above & beyond the call of duty! My US holiday starts around now ;)

Advertisement