Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Loan While on Welfare?

Options
  • 08-03-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi BOI,

I'm in a bit of a jam here, and would like to know if there's any chance I'd be approved for a student loan. I'd rather not apply and waste people's time if it's definitely not going to be approved. :)

I'm back from Canada a couple of months, and am not able to get a job in my field because nobody will recognise my certificate & experience - I need to do a short qualification course (pending my assessment, it'll be anything from 2-6 months and 2000-5000 euro). I'd be highly employable once I have this magic bit of paper. I'm on jobseekers & get 188 euro per week, as does my husband (who will be working soon, fingers crossed) which is more than enough to cover my living expenses so the loan would be for tuition only. Our expenses are low since we're living with family while we get back on our feet.

Can my welfare payments be considered income when I apply for a loan? Worst case scenario I'll still be receiving that minimum amount per month if I don't find a job, though I'm very confident that I will. 

Thanks for your help. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Exparrot42,

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie and welcome home.

To be considered for a Student loan, you would need to be in full time 3rd level education and a letter from your College to confirm this is also required. 

If this is not your current situation perhaps one of our other lending options may suit you best. As each application is seen on a case by case basis and different criteria may be required, it would be best to speak to our Lending team a quick on 0818 200 334 and a representative will be more than happy to discuss your options.  

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement