Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford and surrounding area advice

Options
  • 08-03-2016 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Any advice / suggestions would be very welcome.

Myself,other half and two kids aged 7 and 9, are looking to relocate back to Ireland later this year.

We lived in Meath for a few years back in the 90's before the kids came along and our parents are Irish so we know what were in for !

In any case, we will be in a fortunate position to buy a house outright and have decided that somewhere near to Waterford or surrounding areas would be preferred. Ideally a 30 to 40 minute drive max would be favoured.

Where would you people suggest to a newcomer to look to settle down?

Ideally we would need a cub/scout/girl guide unit for the kids to carry on being involved in ,and a rugby club for my lad as he is rugby mad.

As for work, I've a Class 1 HGV licence but been out of that game for a while so will have to look to take the CPC drivers modules, though I have a CPC in road haulage management I believe it won't be recognised in Ireland . Anyone know if there is much HGV work at present in Waterford and surrounding counties. I'm also looking to do a tankers course to open up some more options.

Were visiting the County again (last in Waterford in Nov 2015) later in the month to have a good look at some areas/properties. We did like it when we last visited but I'm fully aware visiting somewhere and living there are two different things.

Any pointers on where to look, and more importantly where to avoid would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If rugger is important then you'd need to be in or immediately close to the city - there are three schools that play the game - Newtown (fee paying), Waterpark and I think De le Salle. Waterford Rugby Club http://www.waterfordcityrfc.com/#!teams/c1fgp caters for all ages.

Where to live and avoid is a contentious matter and budget sensitive of course, but its sensible to avoid areas that are populated with WIT students and other "rental hellholes" Templars Hall is the current best example of this.

just noticed you have dropped this thread in the place its least likely to be seen - post again here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=482

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozfish

Thanks for that advice.

I've started the thread again in the link you mentioned.

Regards.

Advertisement