Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford and surrounding area advice please

Options
  • 08-03-2016 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Any advice / suggestions would be very welcome.

Myself,other half and two kids aged 7 and 9, are looking to relocate back to Ireland later this year.

We lived in Meath for a few years back in the 90's before the kids came along and our parents are Irish so we know what were in for !

In any case, we will be in a fortunate position to buy a house outright and have decided that somewhere near to Waterford or surrounding areas would be preferred. Ideally a 30 to 40 minute drive max would be favoured.

Where would you people suggest to a newcomer to look to settle down?

Ideally we would need a cub/scout/girl guide unit for the kids to carry on being involved in ,and a rugby club for my lad as he is rugby mad.

As for work, I've a Class 1 HGV licence but been out of that game for a while so will have to look to take the CPC drivers modules, though I have a CPC in road haulage management I believe it won't be recognised in Ireland . Anyone know if there is much HGV work at present in Waterford and surrounding counties. I'm also looking to do a tankers course to open up some more options.

Were visiting the County again (last in Waterford in Nov 2015) later in the month to have a good look at some areas/properties. We did like it when we last visited but I'm fully aware visiting somewhere and living there are two different things.

Any pointers on where to look, and more importantly where to avoid would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Depends what you are looking for, are you talking a house in the country or a house in an estate in the suburbs?

Most of the suburbs are max 10-15 mins drive from the centre of Waterford city.

You could look towards the beach as well with Tramore or Bunmahon or even Dungarvan which is like a large enough town about 45 mins from Waterford City and 45 mins from Cork City.

It all really depends what you are looking for and what type of lifestyle etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

It is hard to look past the seaside towns of Tramore or Dunmore East. Both have big primary school communities with lots of activities to get the kids settled quickly. Property in the South East is still a good deal down from the Celtic tiger era, but choice is limited. I fit was me, I would rent for a bit (but choice is very limited at the moment) and get a feel for the place before investing and settling.

As far as I know there are a few haulage companies based in Waterford and New Ross (which is half an hour away).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ozfish

I'm more inclined to have a place in the country rather than an estate house although a non estate house would be considered.

The lure of the sea would be tempting, around Dunmore East or Tramore or anywhere near.

The ideal would be near enough to a good school and within 30 minutes of facilities for the kids and ourselves. The lifestyle would be centred around the kids mainly.

Basically we have narrowed down our choices to a few areas in Ireland, with the South East as number 1, and the Waterford area is ideal due to the fact its a city with the facilities that come with it.

As mentioned in my initial thread, we will be over at the end of the month so I will pop around some of the estate agents and also some of the employment agencies to see how things are at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭goochy

You have picked one of the worst parts of country jobs wise.'

Goochy,

Having just spent the last hour looking for HGV and drivers work in Waterford County on various websites I am now beginning to think your right !!

I might have to look at plan B.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Take a look around Rosslare too (for jobs, not to live), there might be a few things going there with the port

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Email these guys about truck jobs however proably best wait until your up to date.

http://www.nolantransport.com/vacancies.php

waterford transport company is another

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

You asked about Scouts.

There are two scout troops in Tramore, and one in Dunmore East. Tramore would be the stronger of the two. There is also a scout troop in Passage East and Annestown, if you are looking to base yourself in the Countryside, along the coast. Waterford is the strongest (most successful)Scout County in the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Tramore FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

Perennial Freight were looking for drivers recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

ORVEE wrote: »
    Perennial Freight were looking for drivers recently.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

goochy wrote: »

But one of the best house-price-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

goochy wrote: »

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Down in Waterford for the weekend. I saw a roadside notice on the way in to Waterford - truck drivers wanted phone 085 2580851. Might be worth a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Down in Waterford for the weekend. I saw a roadside notice on the way in to Waterford - truck drivers wanted phone 085 2580851. Might be worth a call.

Yeah seen that sign myself just past the Holy Cross pub i just noticed it was for Waterford transport

Thanks so far for the advice.

Were over in a week so will hunt/ask around the agencies etc for the work situation at present. The 'big' haulage company in New Ross I'll give a miss, I've heard a few 'rumours' about some of their operating standards in the past !!! I would want to keep my licence endorsement free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I'm pretty sure that number is 086 258 0821 in case OP is not getting through!

Advertisement