Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC Build - I need your help!

Options
  • 08-03-2016 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi folks,

I'm as bad at configuring a pc build as I am at navigating the boards.ie userface. Before I get started, if I'm posting in the wrong place or in the wrong format; I'd very much appreciate a swift pointer in the right direction. Apologies / Thanks in advance!

As for my pc build, I was directed here by a close friend who urged me to post the following template with the questions answered. I had approached him originally for advice on a build and he ushered me immediately to boards in search of a mythical thread. He himself had posted before on this thread and built his computer from the feedback he received (he had his new pc build on paper in under 15 minutes! WHAT??).

I feel like I'm summoning some sort of technological poltergeist - below are my answered questions! Hopefully someone out there has a few minutes to school me on a build! Thanks for reading!

1. What is your budget? €500 - €800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? I'd like the computer to be able to play games such as Elite Dangerous, Evolve (Not a dealbreaker) and old classics such as Black & White. I'd like to be able to run photo-editing software, some video-editing software and other less demanding software packages.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? I'd like an opionion on W7 v W10. I very much liked W7 but I've heard W10 is particularly invasive? I would need to have either installed.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of the peripherals? I'd suss out my own keyboard, mouse and speakers. Advice on a soundcard, motherboard and wireless card? If you could budget that into the build? I'd also like to contain the build within a smaller casing? Space is unfortunatley an issue for me and a smaller tower would be advantageous.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Gotta be honest. I hear this word all the time and I have no idea what it actually means. I'd imagine it's increased power at the expense of increased input energy?

8. How can you pay? Cash / Card / Money transfer.

9. When are you purchasing? Late Spring / Summer.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Santry, Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Missed the 15 minute deadline, sorry!

i5 6500 €200
    H110M board €70
    R9 380X €250
    1tb HDD €50
    240gb SSD €60
    500w PSU €60
    mATX case €70
    8gb RAM €50
    Total €810

How's that? :)

Ask away if you've any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

With regards windows 10 being invasive. This is true. But even in 7 they are pretty much sticking their noses in behind closed doors.

When setting up just make sure you don't use the "recommend" . select custom set up. As in don't let windows decide your default settings. If you are unsure there are useful guides on YouTube.

That said. I'm staying windows 7....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

i5 6500 €200
    H110M board €70
    R9 380X €250
    1tb HDD €50
    240gb SSD €60
    500w PSU €60
    mATX case €70
    8gb RAM €50
    Total €810

Seems you overlooked the OS. You can pick a windows key up for about 30 euro on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Seems you overlooked the OS. You can pick a windows key up for about 30 euro on reddit.

This. Some on adverts also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

i5 6500 €200
    H110M board €70
    R9 380X €250
    1tb HDD €50
    240gb SSD €60
    500w PSU €60
    mATX case €70
    8gb RAM €50
    Total €810

That's amazing. Thanks a mil for the quick reply. (I'll pass on this story and tell everyone I got a reply in TEN MINUTES ;) ) For a first time builder would you recommend building it on your own with a bit of youtube guidance? Where would you recommend for buying parts? If I were to pay someone for assembly, what would a reasonable price be?

Yet again, muchas gracias amigo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

For a first time builder would you recommend building it on your own with a bit of youtube guidance?
    Yep, watching a video should stop you from doing anything terribly wrong like placing the CPU incorrectly or squeezing thermal paste under the CPU as opposed to over it. Front panel connectors are my least favourite bit as they're fiddly.
    Where would you recommend for buying parts?
    Innards->Mindfactory.de
    Case->Amazon.
    If I were to pay someone for assembly, what would a reasonable price be?
    Depends on if you know them or if they're a shop. A friend might help for free or for a couple of beers.
    If you're not that pally with them then €30 for the build, €50 if you want your OS installed by them. And to them that will be "Don't ask me questions if anything goes wrong" money.

A shop would and should want more because of the high proportion of bad customers who imagine that a flaky driver update is the shop's fault. They're charging for the probability of future time wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I was clueless about building, when I had some nice folks on boards spec my build.

The fun I had with it and experience was invaluable.

I have added hard drives, cleaned it down, formatted the drives etc since then, build yourself if you feel confident. You will learn a lot about the computer so you will have a far better idea what to do when upgrading in the future.

Big help bud. Much appreciated!

That's about everything I can think to ask at the minute! Thanks for the rundown man. I'll go do my homework and get back to this thread to pick your brains in the (hopefully) near future :D

Advertisement