Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 08-03-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Getting a new Kitchen and we are connecting to mains gas for cooking.

Should I convert to gas central heating while I am at it?
    or with the very low cost of kerosene oil these days, is changing to gas heating a mistake?

My current boiler is a 15 yr old non condensing Firebird Popular 120, running 12 rads (6 big, 6 medium) throughout a 1700 sq ft bungalow built in 1970 with recently pumped (beads) cavity walls and rockwool in the attic. Some single glazed teak windows and some 15 yr old pvc double glazed windows.
    I'd rate the insulation over all as fair-ok.

so,
    Is the best option to:

1. Leave well enough alone.
    2. Convert to Gas.
    or
    3. Upgrade my existing oil boiler.

Thanks for any advice :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

People will have different ideas on this, but if it's in good nick and looked after, I would not change it.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

120btu heating 12 rads. Your boiler is massively over firing and oversized. Put in a gas boiler while you have a chance. A 24kw gas boiler would be more than enough and when the system is hot, the boiler will modulate its output down to what is required to keep the heat up. An oil boiler will never do this

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SuperVegan

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    120btu heating 12 rads. Your boiler is massively over firing and oversized. Put in a gas boiler while you have a chance. A 24kw gas boiler would be more than enough and when the system is hot, the boiler will modulate its output down to what is required to keep the heat up. An oil boiler will never do this

When you say massively over firing and oversized. What are we talking about here? Is it not very efficient? Would a bigger rather then smaller boiler not make sense?
    What size oil boiler should I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

If you change to gas you won't regret it provided you buy a good quality Boiler. gas burns a lot cleaner and so the boiler doesn't suffer the problems an oil boiler does. Also no worries about supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

SuperVegan wrote: »
    When you say massively over firing and oversized. What are we talking about here? Is it not very efficient? Would a bigger rather then smaller boiler not make sense?
    What size oil boiler should I have?

I'd say at max 90,000 btu. Oversizing a boiler causes it to short cycle therefore making it much more inefficient. If you've the chance, go with nat gas. If changing oil boilers, fit a grant vortex 50-90

• Advertisement
Advertisement