Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk in Pantry

• 08-03-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Pantries, Yes or No?

I'm putting in a new kitchen and considering a corner pantry unit (the step in kind).

Anybody have issues with these?
    Are they as super convenient as I hope?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I don't have one but I think I would love one. I make a lot of jam and chutney and have jars stored in the oddest places.

The only thing I would say is to be careful about the depth of the shelves. If they are too deep, stuff can get easily lost behind other items.

Also how do you plan on using it? Will you put all dry good in here or just stockpile/larger amounts? I think unless you go all or nothing you might end up never knowing where s tuff is meant to be.

Also I would think unless it's very easy for you to get at it might get annoying having to walk back and forth if you forget things.

Sorry I seem to be only saying negative things but I guess the success of a pantry really comes down to the design of your kitchen and how you plan to be use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SuperVegan

ahayes84

I am planning to use it for:
    Dry goods, cans etc. (on the higher shelves)
    Kitchen appliances (on deeper counter height shelf)
    Bulk storage below counter height (possibly behind cabinet doors)

What do you thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always envied Nigella Lawson's pantry when I watched her programme. I didn't have room for one myself but I had larder cupboards built into a unit around my fridge and they're great. I've got deep shelves so I can rummage, and pull outs at the bottom of each. If you have the room for it I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you decide that it is worth building, the 2 key things will be to keep it dark & cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you decide that it is worth building, the 2 key things will be to keep it dark & cool.
    I remember back in my youth (i.e. 60's and 70's) the pantry in our house never had a window and had plenty of ventilation (air bricks) to the outside, so that'd tick both of those boxes. How you'd tie that in with a modern air tight, insulated house I'm not quite sure though.

On that subject, if I ever built a house myself it'd have a proper cellar like most houses in Germany. Useful for all kinds of storage, not only foodstuffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Alun wrote: »
    On that subject, if I ever built a house myself it'd have a proper cellar like most houses in Germany. Useful for all kinds of storage, not only foodstuffs.

:eek::eek::eek: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Loire wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: :)
    ... like all the stuff you usually keep in the attic, of course :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My parents have one and it's great, would love to have one too but unfortunately my house is just too small. It's great for storing jars etc and small appliances and other stuff you don't need all the time. Frees up a lot of space in your kitchen.

A cheap but effective solution might be IKEA Billy Bookcases running either side and at the back. We have some of these in our place for books and their great - sturdy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I always envied Nigella Lawson's pantry when I watched her programme.

That was my first thought when I saw this thread.

OP, go for it! Just make sure it's dark, cool and dry, and that you have a decent organisation system so you know where everything is.

I'd love to have a walk in pantry. :o

• Advertisement

Ok. So shallow shelves (maybe Billy book cases) lights of course, power sockets???

Oh and size. How big should I go? I'm planning / drawing it all out now for the kitchen people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I always envied Nigella Lawson's pantry when I watched her programme.
    This is what I thought of when I read the thread title too.

If I ever am lucky enough to have a pantry, I would love on like hers.

I've no suggestions OP, sorry, but good luck with it all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Alun wrote: »
    I remember back in my youth (i.e. 60's and 70's) the pantry in our house never had a window and had plenty of ventilation (air bricks) to the outside, so that'd tick both of those boxes. How you'd tie that in with a modern air tight, insulated house I'm not quite sure though.

No underfloor heating or radiators, no fridge or any other equipment that would generate heat, no windows (or blackout curtain at least).

@Loire - You're thinking of Austrian cellars. ;)

@Loire - You're thinking of Austrian cellars. ;)

:eek:

Yeah you don't want any heat in there. I would get the measurements for the bookcases and then just space for yourself to walk in and out - shouldn't need to be very big in any case, but as with utilities, once built you will invariably think you should have made it bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I would love a walk-in pantry! Growing up we had a pantry and a cellar. It was great.

If you want more ideas, have a look on Houzz, but be warned - it's addictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I had one on my last house and it was handy. One tip is to make sure the light works like your fridge where when you open the door the light comes on and when you close it goes off. Already mentioned above but you need to keep dark a door switch will make sure nobody leaves the light on.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I had one on my last house and it was handy. One tip is to make sure the light works like your fridge where when you open the door the light comes on and when you close it goes off. Already mentioned above but you need to keep dark a door switch will make sure nobody leaves the light on.

Auto door switch for the lights. Brill!
    I'm getting great ideas here :-)
    Thanks.

Who needs a walk-in wardrobe, when you can have a walk-in larder!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

SuperVegan wrote: »
    Auto door switch for the lights. Brill!
    I'm getting great ideas here :-)
    Thanks.

I've worked in loads of catering kitchens over the years and you don't need much floor space - I've seen pantrys the size of an average ensuite work well in a busy restaurant kitchen with chefs running in and out so give yourself enough space on the floor standing to put your elbows out comfortably plus shelf depth and I think you'd have plenty of room.

Shallow shelving is best, so you can see at a glance what you have/ need. I've seen deeper shelving and to be honest, we were always having to root through to rotate the stock the whole time.

Usually in a commercial kitchen pantry, there is a bigger gap from the lowest to the next shelf for heavier items, (H&S require everything stored up off the floor) then storing lighter things up higher - for example, sacks of flour, or heavier buckets were on a just-off-the-floor deeper shelf, then things like styrofoam cups or disposables would be on the top-most shelves so if they toppled, they wouldn't brain anyone.

It's worth looking at your kitchen now, and listing all the things you'd put into your pantry and doing a quick sketch of where you'd put everything. Also go on Pinterest and do a search for pantries - you'll get loads of ideas!

All this talk of walk-in pantries* got me thinking. We're "doing up the house" at the end of this year hopefully and out the back (well side extension but we call it "out the back") we have a small toilet & bath. Soooo, I've decided we don't need no bath and I'm gonna convert it to a walk-in larder. Herself did in fact through up the eyebrows at the suggestion, but I held my nerve explaining it would do wonders for the over-worked staff in the kitchen (moi)..... i.e. "help me to help you". !!!

no, not walk-in panties!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

There are doors you get in ikea that fit the billy book cases if anyone is thinking of using them. I saw it in an ikea hack site. I'm currently doing up a back kitchen. They were from a different range but looked really well. Glass and solid ones. must see if I can dig it up.

There are doors you get in ikea that fit the billy book cases if anyone is thinking of using them. I saw it in an ikea hack site. I'm currently doing up a back kitchen. They were from a different range but looked really well. Glass and solid ones. must see if I can dig it up.

great idea!

Advertisement