Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The First Wrestling Show You Went To?

• 08-03-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭

Thought this could be a fun one and possibly done but sure, what was the first live wrestling event you've ever been to? Doesn't matter if it was a WWE Live event or Insane Backyard Wrestling in a Tesco car park I'd love to hear some of your memories from your first event, how old were you anything memorable about the show etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

WCW @ Dublin, Ireland - The Point - March 17, 1993 (3,000)
    Johnny B. Badd pinned Scotty Flamingo
    Van Hammer pinned Maxx Payne
    WCW US Champion Dustin Rhodes fought NWA World Champion Barry Windham to a no contest when both men brawled backstage
    Davey Boy Smith pinned Vinnie Vegas with the running powerslam
    WCW TV Champion Paul Orndorff pinned Michael Hayes with the piledriver
    Rick Rude pinned Cactus Jack after avoiding a top rope move
    Big Van Vader pinned WCW World Champion Sting to win the title with the powerbomb at the 17-minute mark after Sting hit his head on the steel ringpost while attempting a Stinger Splash

Thats the first live show I ever went to. I had just turned 7. My lasting memory of it is Vader being a fúcking monster and Ravishing Rick being massive too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I've only ever been to two, both when I was only 13 or 14.

The first was the WWE Tour of Defiance, on Wednesday, May 26th 2004, at the Point Depot. The only reason I know the exact date is because not only did I buy a programme, but 13-year-old me had the sense to type out the date and all the matches (sadly not the results) and sellotape them in to the programme, which I still have. Went with two friends of mine (one of whom died just 5 months later) and my parents

Honestly don't remember much about the event, I can't remember a single thing that happened in any of the matches, just random memories

My mother being surprised that so many people were there to watch it. Her initially not liking Ric Flair for some reason, but coming around after hearing the 'Woo's during the match.

I remember being very excited that there was an IC Title match between Orton and Shelton Benjamin, who were two of my favourites at the time, back when I wasn't 100% sure that wrestling was staged. Again though, unfortunately I remember nothing about the actual match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Smackdown! taping before No Mercy in 2001. WWEs first show back in Montreal since the screw job was electric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The Point, Dublin in 1995

Found the card for the night after a quick google:

WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Bertha Faye
    Men on a Mission defeated the New Headshrinkers
    Shawn Michaels defeated IRS
    Adam Bomb defeated King Kong Bundy
    The Smoking Gunns defeated Jacob & Eli Blu
    Jean Pierre Lafitte defeated Duke Drose
    The Undertaker defeated Kama
    Bret Hart defeated Hakushi

For some reason, one of my memories of this is people on the balcony over the entrance way dropping popcorn on top of Hakushi. And also giving myself a stomach ache from the bus ride up from Cork because I ate too many Power Rangers gummy sweets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

The very first IwW show in the National Basketball Arena. Had Doug Williams vs Mike Modest (from Beyond the Mat) Tatanka vs PN News and the main event was Justice Pain vs Zandig for CZW title. I think it was originally meant to have Chris Nowinski vs Josh Matthews as well as it wasn't long after that season of Tough Enough aired but they both pulled out after getting offered WWE contracts.

I was only a kid at the time, 12 or 13 I think, my main memory was meeting Doug Williams who I think I was in awe of because I had just seen him wrestle Eddie Guerrero on Bravo a few weeks prior and him being an absolute gent. It was a typical Indy show but at the time it blew my mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Very first (and one of my only shows) was

ECW Tag Team Tournament- Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, August 25th 2000.

Justin Credible & Rhino defeated Chilly Willy & Sandman
    Mikey Whipwreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri defeated EZ Money & Julio Dinero
    Johnny Swinger & Simon Diamond (w /CW Anderson) defeated Danny Doring & Roadkill
    Jerry Lynn & Tommy Dreamer beat Justin Credible & Rhino

ECW World Tag Team Title Tournament Final Three Way Dance (vacant): Mikey Whipwreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri (w /The Sinister Minister) defeated Johnny Swinger & Simon Diamond and Jerry Lynn & Tommy Dreamer (w /CW Anderson)

It was incredible! Caused me to spend all my pocket money for a few years after ordering ECW tapes from the UK! I was only about 13 at the time but it had a huge impact on me, started me on the road to listening to metal after Sandmans entrance! Met the Dudley Boys that week too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Brilliant to read some of them interesting to see that everyone's first show was around 13 as well, guess that's the time we all start watching wrestling at.

Also interesting to see in 6 replies 3 different promotions really expected everyone's replies to be whatever WWF event was on in the point when they were teenagers.

As for me I haven't been to my first event, going to my first event next month at the tender age of 26 as I'll be going over to Wrestlemania. Not a bad start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Insurrextion 2001 - Earls Court London

Eddie Guerrero defeated Grandmaster Sexay

The Radicalz (Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko) (with Terri Runnels) defeated The Hollys (Hardcore Holly and Crash Holly) (and Molly Holly)

Bradshaw defeated Big Show

Edge and Christian defeated X-Factor (X-Pac and Justin Credible) (with Albert), The Hardy Boyz (Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy), and The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley)

Chris Benoit defeated Kurt Angle

Chris Jericho defeated William Regal

The Undertaker defeated The Power Trip (Stone Cold Steve Austin and Triple H) (with Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley)

All the big names of my wrestling childhood on a card!

World Wrestling AllStars in the point - November, 2001. Would have went to a WWE event much earlier if they had have come over between 96 - 2001

Can't actually remember most of the matches apart from Jeff Jarrett vs Road Dogg as the main event and also earlier in the night the ring announcer telling the crowd that Nathan Jones was from Ireland so he would get a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

had to google for the full match cards but this is it from 1995. i remember being devastated that bret was not there as i was convinced i was getting his glasses even if i was no were near him. I still distinctly remember being awed bu hbk and razor match and i think that match is the reason i love wrestling still.

I also got a free t shirt that the guy next to me won son something and it was ten times too big for me.

Diesel defeated Virgil
    Earthquake defeated Adam Bomb
    Tatanka defeated Kwang
    Jeff Jarrett defeated Rick Martel
    Randy Savage defeated Crush
    WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Leilani Kai
    WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon defeated Shawn Michaels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cianocarroll

IWW Show in the National Basketball Arena 2008.

I was about 9 or 10 years old.

Balls Mahoney, Raven and Daivari was there. Nigel McGuiness too. Daniel Bryan was also supposed to be there but couldn't make it. I loved it anyway. Went to a couple of shows in the basketball arena since then and loved them all. I wouldn't mind another show there in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

WWF European Rampage Tour, Point Depot, 1992.

Had to Google search the card, I could only remember Tatanka, IRS and Big Boss Man.

I was just turned 7 so I was absolutely disgusted that all the Hitman sunglasses were sold out. My Dad bought me a foam title belt and Hitman that I had for years afterwards.
    I was also disappointed that there was no stage or ramp, I didn't understand the concept of house shows back then.

Singles Match

Tatanka defeats Kato

Singles Match

Virgil defeats The Warlord

Singles Match

Rick Martel defeats The Texas Tornado

Singles Match

The Big Boss Man defeats The Berzerker

Singles Match

The British Bulldog defeats The Repo Man

Tag Team Match

The Bushwhackers (Butch & Luke) defeat Irwin R. Schyster & The Brooklyn Brawler

Singles Match

Sid Justice vs. The Undertaker - Double Count Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Virtanen wrote: »
    I've only ever been to two, both when I was only 13 or 14.

The first was the WWE Tour of Defiance, on Wednesday, May 26th 2004, at the Point Depot. The only reason I know the exact date is because not only did I buy a programme, but 13-year-old me had the sense to type out the date and all the matches (sadly not the results) and sellotape them in to the programme, which I still have. Went with two friends of mine (one of whom died just 5 months later) and my parents

Honestly don't remember much about the event, I can't remember a single thing that happened in any of the matches, just random memories

My mother being surprised that so many people were there to watch it. Her initially not liking Ric Flair for some reason, but coming around after hearing the 'Woo's during the match.

I remember being very excited that there was an IC Title match between Orton and Shelton Benjamin, who were two of my favourites at the time, back when I wasn't 100% sure that wrestling was staged. Again though, unfortunately I remember nothing about the actual match

This was mine too. Think it was the first time back since before the Attitude Era. My main memory is that nobody won win their finisher and I think Rhino was the only one who even hit his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I can't remember the year, but I think it was 94 or 95.

Small WWF show in the Neptune here in Cork. The only thing I really remember was watching one of members of Legion of Doom wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I went to my first ever WWE house show last November. It was such a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

I went to Blackpool every Summer when I was a kiddo and caught a couple of (I presume) All Star shows. Got a bunch of autographes in the programs from alot of the lads like Finaly, Regal & Rob Brookside. Was really cool because I was introduced to Brookside recently before an NXT show in the UK and had a natter about them!

IWW Show in the National Basketball Arena 2008.

I was about 9 or 10 years old.

Balls Mahoney, Raven and Daivari was there. Nigel McGuiness too. Daniel Bryan was also supposed to be there but couldn't make it. I loved it anyway. Went to a couple of shows in the basketball arena since then and loved them all. I wouldn't mind another show there in the future.

Raven balls and davari walked into the shop I was working in the next day and I totally bottled going up to them

Still regret that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

WWE Smackdown and Ecw Undertaker Rip Tour 14th Nov 2009 The o2 dublin

John Morrision def Matt Hardy- Intercon Title
    Shelton Benjamin def Zach Ryder
    Drew Mcintyre def Finlay
    Ezekial Jackson def Goldust
    Katie Lea and Mickie James def Beth Phoenix and Michelle Mccool
    Rey Mysterio def Dolph Ziggler
    Christian def William Regal- Ecw World Title
    Undertaker def CM Punk- Casket match for world heavyweight tile

i was 19 years old and it was a dream come true. pity i didnt have a decent camara back then. Saw a few more shows in 3arena the last few years (april 2015 the most recent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

razorblunt wrote: »
    WWF European Rampage Tour, Point Depot, 1992.

Had to Google search the card, I could only remember Tatanka, IRS and Big Boss Man.

I was just turned 7 so I was absolutely disgusted that all the Hitman sunglasses were sold out. My Dad bought me a foam title belt and Hitman that I had for years afterwards.
    I was also disappointed that there was no stage or ramp, I didn't understand the concept of house shows back then.

Singles Match

Tatanka defeats Kato

Singles Match

Virgil defeats The Warlord

Singles Match

Rick Martel defeats The Texas Tornado

Singles Match

The Big Boss Man defeats The Berzerker

Singles Match

The British Bulldog defeats The Repo Man

Tag Team Match

The Bushwhackers (Butch & Luke) defeat Irwin R. Schyster & The Brooklyn Brawler

Singles Match

Sid Justice vs. The Undertaker - Double Count Out

That was my 1st one as well,was ringside, justice and undertaker were absolute monsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

My first ever show was April 21st 1993 at The Point. Bret Hart vs. Bam Bam Bigelow main evented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tour Of Defiance at the Point also.

HHH Vs HBK was a highlight seeing these two in the height of their feud against each other. Pretty sure HBK hit the SCM to finish it.

Flair V Edge was fun that night also as Edge was playing the face but was booed out of it by the very pro Flair crowd.

Met Stacey Kielbler on Grafton St that day as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

sky88 wrote: »
    had to google for the full match cards but this is it from 1995. i remember being devastated that bret was not there as i was convinced i was getting his glasses even if i was no were near him. I still distinctly remember being awed bu hbk and razor match and i think that match is the reason i love wrestling still.

I also got a free t shirt that the guy next to me won son something and it was ten times too big for me.

Diesel defeated Virgil
    Earthquake defeated Adam Bomb
    Tatanka defeated Kwang
    Jeff Jarrett defeated Rick Martel
    Randy Savage defeated Crush
    WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Leilani Kai
    WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon defeated Shawn Michaels

Snap, this was my first show too, was 8 at the time and was not only a mark for Randy Savage, but I was terrified of Kwang to the point that I would ignore how many people said he was ****e an defend him to no end.

Eventually I realised just how awful he was! :D

Snap, this was my first show too, was 8 at the time and was not only a mark for Randy Savage, but I was terrified of Kwang to the point that I would ignore how many people said he was ****e an defend him to no end.

Eventually I realised just how awful he was! :D

Kwang is the one guy i do not remember on that card i have no reason why i just cant remember him at all

i Think everyone was and still is randy savages marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone familiar with those WWF Tribute Shows that took over the British indies in the 90s?

Like this:

American-Wrestling-WWE-knockoff-poster.jpg

They came to National Stadium in Dublin, around 2001. Sold out (TNA couldn't boast that a decade later, oddly).

The ring was about the size of my boxroom. Your man that played Matt Hardy did double-duty as Kane, and I'm 90% convinced 'The Rock' was running the chip van outside.

Fantastic night, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

First show I went to was a Smackdown show in The Point in 2005 which was headlined by a main event, I sh*t you not, of The Undertaker vs then US Champion Orlando Jordan. Amazingly it actually ended in a D.Q. Only thing I can think to explain that finish is they didn't want Taker to win in case people mistakenly thought he became the new US Champ. (The program had said the main event would be Taker vs Angle. Of course 'subject to change')

Other highlights that night included JBL coming out to The Irish Rover and trashing the fans before beginning an assault on the Irish flag, to be joined then by Kurt Angle. Also that night the then WWE Champion John Cena bled in order to promote the appearance later that year of Steve Austin who would show up on the Summer Bash tour as the special ref. (I went to that show too).

Also have a fun memory of my friend flipping off Joy Giovanni. I like to think the reason she left the business shortly afterwards was because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

This was my first show back in 2001. Right before the Invasion PPV....
    exciting times..... lol

New Haven Coliseum, New Haven, Connecticut

1 Billy Kidman Def. (Pin) X-Pac
    2 Stacy Keibler & Torrie Wilson Def. (Pin) Lita & Trish Stratus
    3 Faarooq Def. (Pin) Chuck Palumbo
    4 Sean O'Haire Def. (Pin) Bradshaw
    5 Perry Saturn Def. (Pin) Justin Credible
    6 Raven Def. (Pin) Billy Gunn
    7 Kane & The Undertaker Def. (Pin) Diamond Dallas Page & Mike Awesome
    8 Albert (C) Def. (Pin) Hugh Morrus WWF Intercontinental Title
    9 Chris Jericho Def. (Pin) Shawn Stasiak
    10 Bubba Ray & D-Von Dudley Def. (Pin) Kanyon & Lance Storm, Christian & Edge, Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy Four-Way Elimination Tag
    11 Booker T. (C) Def. (Pin) Kurt Angle WCW World Heavyweight Title

Advertisement