Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Dealership - no brick or mortar

• 08-03-2016 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

I am looking at a car at the moment, Its my first car, I came across a nice car but I noticed the dealer place isnt your typical dealer, there doesnt appear to be a garage, just a high fence around the square in which all the cars are in and a cabin.
    It says their is a warranty with the car but if how do these independent dealers operate? Im just a bit weary of not having a 'Proper' brick and mortar place.

P.S the car is a Kia Ceed 2010 if anyone has any experience with them please tell me about them :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Whereabouts is this dealer located :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd never buy a car from any dealer I hadn't seen in continuous business for at least 5 years. This can be checked through the CRO. Simialr names every few years = alarm bells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

I'd never buy a car from any dealer I hadn't seen in continuous business for at least 5 years. This can be checked through the CRO. Simialr names every few years = alarm bells.
    If everyone took your advice, no business would make it to 5yrs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Dubwat wrote: »
    If everyone took your advice, no business would make it to 5yrs?

Not everyone is going to take my advice. There will always be the people that will take the risk for a few hundred quid cheaper. Those people stand a much higher chance of being fleeced.

You pay's your money's and you take's your chances. The OP already has a suspicion, my advice (other than the above) is go with your gut.

If you want to start a dealership and you're under 5 years you can look to generate excellent word of mouth, or you can be cheaper and appeal to the people who'll pay less and take a bigger risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Whereabouts is this dealer located :)

Letterkenny
    It says they are in Business 18 years.
    Its not that I think they are dodgy or anything, but I just wondering how does these places operate without a Garage that I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Pangea wrote:
    P.S the car is a Kia Ceed 2010 if anyone has any experience with them please tell me about them

I drove one as a company car for four years put 300k kilometres on it and apart from the odd flat tyre it never gave me an ounce of trouble

Just checked solo check through google and it said it was set up two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You really have to judge each dealer on their own merits. I bought a 25k car from a small independant dealer operating out of a portacabin in the past. They were a small time operator run by two guys with small overheads. The cars they sell were tidy and honest, and they have a good local customer base.

I never went for the car in the end because it seemed to good to be true and it looks like I had a lucky escape. Its on the Donegal Daily today that the dealership was brought to court and made to pay 17k for selling a faulty car, also there are numerous bad reviews on the facebook post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Pangea wrote: »
    I never went for the car in the end because it seemed to good to be true and it looks like I had a lucky escape. Its on the Donegal Daily today that the dealership was brought to court and made to pay 17k for selling a faulty car, also there are numerous bad reviews on the facebook post.

This guy? Interesting read. The fact he didn't bother showing up for court says it all.

I do wonder why you would bother clocking a car 'only' 20,000 miles, must have brought it down below 100,000 or something.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    This guy? Interesting read. The fact he didn't bother showing up for court says it all.

I do wonder why you would bother clocking a car 'only' 20,000 miles, must have brought it down below 100,000 or something.

Indeed Thats the very one. The bloke got a raw deal.

Advertisement